Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Darren charity trek for Irish Autism Action  (Read 12418 times)
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« on: September 29, 2009, 10:50PM »

These blog updates are from Darren s myspace Fan Site found here.

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendId=372854211

All I have to say is Go Darren!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 10:53PM by jillebeans » Logged
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 10:50PM »

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Exciting News! Darren charity trek for Irish Autism Action
Current mood:BeHolden&Proud
Category: Travel and Places

Hi everyone

I am very proud to hear Darren's latest exciting news! I'll let him tell you about it himself in a bulletin he posted on his own official myspace page earlier this evening, just in case you missed it.

Hey everyone.

I am delighted to let you all know that this Sunday I am heading off for a week to Peru with Keith Duffy and friends, to do a 4 day/3 night trek of the incredible Inca Trail. Its all in aid of "Irish Autism Action".

Please help me in my fundraising efforts for this much worthy cause by visiting

www...mycharity...ie/..event/..darren_..holdens_event/

Please donate what you can and feel free to pass this on to family, friends and colleagues.
Many thanks,

Darren.

This is a fantastic opportunity for Darren as well as a great way for him to raise money for a very worthwhile charity. Please click the link above and show him your support. He is hoping to raise 5000 Euros and any donation, no matter how small, will be very much appreciated and help him on his way.

It's going to be a very busy few days for Darren in the build up to the trip as he is performing with The High Kings at 2 venues in Dublin for the the Guinness 'Arthur's Day' celebrations tomorrow, and also performing the Irish National Anthem at the televised International boxing match on Saturday evening. Not much time to prepare for his trip on Sunday! If you would like to read more about the event, and see what the 8 day itinery has in store for Darren, click the link below to take you to the official page on the Irish Autism Action Website. Please do not donate on the link on this page as this will not go towards Darren's target.

Irish Autism In Action - Peru Trek

Here's a  few photos to give you an idea of what Darren has ahead of him!

I'm sure like me you are all very proud of Darren for taking this trip for such a worthy cause. It is going to be an incredible and very rewarding experience for him, but also a very tough one as he copes with the physical demands and altitude.

Good Luck and Safe Travels Darren
so proud of you!!!

Caz

jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 10:51PM »

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Darren's support for Irish Autism Action - Off to Peru!!
Category: Friends

Hi everyone,

Well it’s Sunday 27 September and today’s the day that Darren leaves his family behind and sets off to Peru with Keith Duffy, and friends, in support of Irish Autism Action.

His trip will last 8 days, with four days and 3 nights spent trekking the Incas Trail to MACHU PICCHU, sleeping under canvas. Darren will be up in the mountains without internet, or even a mobile phone, so he won’t be able to give us any updates while he’s away. But, I thought it might be nice to follow his daily progress here with the itinerary and some videos showing the path he will travel, and the sights he will see, so we can share in the experience with him. I have found a channel on YouTube that has a set of videos of the trek on a day by day basis, and I will post a daily blog so you can share in how Darren will be spending his day.

Peru is on Ireland time – 6 hours, so hopefully I can be ready with the day’s events for you all while he’s still tucked up in his sleeping bag in his tent!

Today, he will be setting off from Dublin and flying to Lima, via Amsterdam. There he will have a relaxing afternoon of leisure followed by, a nice dinner and a chance to spend time getting to know his fellow travellers.

This is a fantastic opportunity for Darren, an experience of a lifetime, and something he is no doubt very excited about for the personal achievement involved. But while we are proud of him and wishing him safe travels, we mustn’t forget his real drive behind doing this. His most rewarding challenge by far, will be to raise 5000 Euros for the very worthy charity Irish Autism Action. Please, even if you can only afford a few Euros, click on the picture link below and give what you can to support Darren in meeting his target.

“Irish Autism Action's mission is to raise the quality of life of individuals and their families affected by autism through ensuring the provision of the highest standards in education, care, support, employment and equality of living opportunities in partnership with families”

Darren’s fundraising page is on the mycharity.ie website and is very secure and accepts all major credit cards.

Thanks for your support

Caz and Darren

SAFE TRAVELS DARREN

WE'RE SO PROUD OF YOU!!
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 10:52PM »

Monday, September 28, 2009

Darren's support for Irish Autism Action - Day 2 off to Cusco
Category: Friends

Day 2 Monday 28 September

Day two, Darren will be taking the short flight from Lima to Cusco, the gateway to the Inca Trail. The afternoon will be spent taking a tour of the city, with an evening of leisure. One of Darren's main physical challenges will be to deal with the altitude, so although this might sound like he’s been relaxing in luxury so far, it's actually an essential part of the trip to spend a couple of days in the area before the trek in order to get acclimatised and minimise the risk of altitude sickness. I would imagine an early night will be in order tonight as the reason they are all there, the incredible trek on the Inca Trail, will be starting in the morning. This is what Darren will be seeing on his tour of Cusco City.

Thanks for your support

Darren’s Peru Trek Fundraising Page

Caz and Darren
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 10:52PM »

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Darren's support for Irish Autism Action - Day 3 The trail Begins!
Current mood:HikingProud
Category: Goals, Plans, Hopes

Day 3 – 29 September

Day 3 of the trip marks Day 1 of the 4 day trek to MACHU PICCHU on the Inca Trail. It’s time for Darren to say goodbye to the comfort of a hotel bed, and his communication links, and take up his backpack and walk. The days ahead will not only be a test of his fitness and stamina, but also his ability to cope with the possibility of breathlessness and altitude sickness. The experiences he will have along the way, the breathtaking views and a huge sense of personal achievement, will make it all worthwhile though! This will be the itinerary for the first day, the easy day!!

Cusco to Huayllabamba. They will drive for approximately 3 hours to the head of the trail, enjoying breakfast en-route. On this first day they will trek for around 2-3 hours through spectacular scenery as the trail continues to climb steadily upwards from 2380m to 3000m, simultaneously enjoying magnificent views of Mount Veronica in the distance, before stopping for lunch. They will then hike for a further 3 hours towards the Huayllabamba, camping near there for the first night. Total 14kms / 7 hours trekking

Thanks for your support

Caz and Darren
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 02:25AM by jillebeans » Logged
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 02:24AM »

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Darren's support for Irish Autism Action - Day 4 Hardest Day

Day 4 – 30 September

Well yesterday was the ‘easy day’ Day 2 of the trek gets a good deal more challenging as they head to the highest point on the trail, with another full day’s walking ahead of them. By now I can just hear Darren saying ‘I can’t feel my legs’. But apart from the physical strains, there is also the altitude to cope with and the possibility of altitude sickness will be at it’s peak today. Here are the plans for Day Two!

Huallyabamba to Pacamayo - Dead Woman’s Pass. Day two is the toughest day as they reach the highest point of the trail at Dead Women’s Pass with an altitude of just over 4200 metres above sea level. Leaving Huayllabamba, the trail climbs, passing through sub-tropical vegetation, woodland, and scrub vegetation. As they ascend higher, passing through rugged terrain, the views of the valley below become increasingly spectacular. One last steep ascent will bring them to the fabled “Dead Woman’s Pass”. They will have made it to the highest point on the trail at 4200m. Once their energy returns, they descend to the Pacamayo Valley and the campsite, situated at 3600m. This is the coldest night on the trail, where temperatures fall to 2 to 4 degrees in December and –3 to –5 degrees in June. Total 12 kms / 7 hours walking.

RTE have an article about the event and Darren gets a mention at the end.

RTE Peru Trek article

Thanks for your support

Caz and Darren
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 11:24PM »

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Darren's support for Irish Autism Action - Day 5 Inspiring!
Current mood:BeDAZled

Day 5 – 1 October

Day 3 on the trail should be an easier one, and very inspiring. They will walk the original stone paths of the Incas Trail, pass many archaeological sites, and see spectacular views of the tropical clouds forests. The itinerary for the day will be:

Pacamayo to Winaywayna. An exceptionally beautiful day trekking along a paved Inca Trail. The day’s trek should be easier on the lungs as there are a lot more descents than ascents! Leaving the campsite they will ascend steeply, passing the ruins of Runkuracay believed to have been a resting place for couriers on the Inca Trail hundreds of years ago. They cross the Abra de Runkuracay Pass, situated at 3500m, descending into another valley. At this point the trail changes from being a dirt track to the original flagstoned Inca Trail. They will pass Sayacmarca ruins. They cross a third pass at Puyupatamarca, and descend via around 2000 stone stairs to the campsite at Winaywayna at 2700m. There is a hostel near the campsite where hopefully they will get e chance to enjoy a hot shower as well as a bar and restaurant where they can purchase bottled water. Total 16kms / 6 hours

Thanks for your support

Caz and Darren
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 11:25PM »

Thursday, October 01, 2009

Darren's support for Irish Autism Action - Day 6 Machu Picchu
Current mood:HoldenHappy!

Day 6 – 2 October

Winaywayna – Machu Picchu - Cusco They will need to rise very early on the morning of Day 4, trekking through woodland for a couple of hours, before climbing up stone stairs to arrive at the Sun Gate for dawn on the final day. Providing the weather is clear, the view from the Sun Gate down to Machu Picchu will be breathtaking and something they will never forget. The city, with its temples, stairways and gabled dwellings is probably one of the most astounding engineering feats of the whole of the Ancient American civilisations. Upon reaching the ruins, experienced local guides will give a tour of the ruins for approximately two hours. The more energetic may also get the opportunity to climb the nearby Huayna Picchu Mountain and enjoy some more great views of the city and snap some brilliant pictures as well! They will descend to the town of Aguas Calientes to enjoy a buffet lunch and hot shower. That afternoon they can maybe can lie back and relax in the hot springs at Aguas Calientes. The return train to Cusco (or train and bus combo) leaves Aguas Calientes at around 4 or 5 pm, arriving back in Cusco around 8.30pm, followed by a transfer back to Main Plaza in Cusco arriving about 9pm. Total 7kms / 2-3 hours

Thanks for your support

Caz and Darren
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 11:35PM »

Saturday, October 03, 2009

Darren's support for Irish Autism Action - Day 7 Last Day
Current mood:WelcomingHome

Day 7 – 3 October

On the final day Darren, and his fellow travellers, are back to civilisation and will maybe have the chance to catch up with his family in the internet cafes of Cusco. They will spend the day touring the city, no doubt reflecting on the experiences they have all had over the last few days.

I hope you have enjoyed following Darren’s itinerary and seeing some of the sights and experiences he will have seen on his incredible journey. It has been a fantastic personal achievement for him and one that I am sure he’ll remember forever. But the most rewarding achievement of all will have been to have raised funds for Irish Autism Action.

There is an article in the Irish Independant today about Kieth Duffy of Boyzone, who is leading the Peru trip. Darren gets a mention as one of the party.

Irish Independent Article

Tomorrow Darren will be packing up and returning home to his family in Dublin, via Lima and Amsterdam, I am sure very excited about seeing them and getting the chance to share his experiences and memories with them. Darren being the person he is though, I am also sure it won’t be too long before he drops by to blog and share with them with us too.

A huge thank you on behalf of Darren and his family for those of you that have already contributed to Darren’s fundraising. The fundraising page will be staying open for a couple of weeks so there is still time to show him your support. Please remember, it doesn’t need to be a large contribution, just a few Euros may not seem enough donate to you, but when added together they will make difference in raising awareness for the Autistic people of Ireland.

Thanks for your support.

Caz and Darren

“Irish Autism Action's mission is to raise the quality of life of individuals and their families affected by autism through ensuring the provision of the highest standards in education, care, support, employment and equality of living opportunities in partnership with families”

Safe travels and welcome home Darren
So proud of you!!
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 09:19AM »

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Darren's Peru Trek - Press article 29 September
Current mood:HoldenProud

Hi Guys

After a 13 hour flight from Peru to Amsterdam, with a layover and short flight on to Dublin, Darren arrived home safely yesterday to be reunited with his family. He says 'words cannot describe the last week' so it might take him a little while to reflect before he can share it all with us, but I am sure he will just as soon as he can. He must be exhausted with his head full of emotions.

For the times being, he's sent us a press article from 'The Star' published 29 September, the day he arrived in Cusco. Huge thanks Darren for sharing it with us.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/CarolB2/Darren%20Myspace/PeruStar290909.jpg

Caz

Welcome Home Darren!!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 09:21AM by jillebeans » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: