Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 13 new angels  (Read 5133 times)
GeorgeN

« on: April 05, 2009, 10:51PM »

Friends:

I’ve not had time to write a proper introduction since recently joining the CW Forum, but I’ve been reading posts this evening in order to take my mind off of a tragic event here in Binghamton NY where a madman killed 13 people and himself. I knew one of his victims, a lady who volunteered with the teaching of English and Citizenship to immigrants, which is what she was doing at the time of her murder. She was instrumental in getting another good friend involved in teaching English to those arriving from all lands. Luckily he was not there at the time. I have a number of acquaintances who were directly involved in the incident’s aftermath.

I don’t know of any words that can explain an event like this.

I only ask you all to reserve a moment to think of the victims of this senseless tragedy. Let us all hope that this sort of senseless killing comes to an end.

GeorgeN
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 06:15AM »

George, my prayers are with all of the families involved, and you as well.  I imagine you're going through a bit of shock right now.  Take care of yourself, and this is a great place to take your mind off things.
Take care,
Kelli

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
edtom

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 07:13AM »

GeorgeN, people here in Horseheads and Elmira share your grief and shock.
I was getting ready to go to work when reports first started coming in, but it wasn't until several hours later that the full scope of the tragedy became known to me. It was the only topic of conversation at the employees' lounge.

I love Celtic Woman
Angie
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 11:13AM »

What a sad turn of events.  While I am overwhelmed with sadness for the victims and their families, I am also sad for the man who purpetrated this aweful scene.  As an immigrant myself many years ago, I can say that it is not easy integrating into a new country and culture, most immigrants go through culture shock, and possibly depression for a while, and most people don't think about that.  This young man was apparently going through a hard time with language, and on top of that teasing, whether it be good natured or not, with regards to his limited english.  I didn't have a difficult time with that since I came from England, I spoke the language used here, but there ARE differeneces even so, and it took a while to get used to American words, spellings, phrases, and humor, and Americans LOVE to tease, it takes a while to get used to it, and some people NEVER do.  I can see how people from other parts of the world could have a VERY difficult time.  On top of all this I believe he had lost his job, and the economy being like it is right now probably was the straw that broke the camel's back.  Although there is NO excuse for what happened at all, I can't imagine snapping like that, I think it might be worth evaluating our own actions, and taking stock in whether or not we contribute to the burden carried by others, whether they be immigrants, handicapped, different in ANY way, or simply POOR.     "But by the grace of God, there go I."      No excuse for the horendous happening though.

GeorgeN

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 05:48PM »

George, my prayers are with all of the families involved, and you as well.  I imagine you're going through a bit of shock right now.  Take care of yourself, and this is a great place to take your mind off things.
Take care,
Kelli

Thanks for the prayers Kelli!

It was the very idea of hope for a better future that is the current CW tour theme that motivated me to post this here. Most of the victims were people doing their best to become a part of the American story, and they were just trying to live a better life full of new hope. It’s sad to see the unfortunate end they came to, but I also celebrate their spirit. Not looking forward in hope means that the madness wins, and I’m not prepared to admit to the defeat of hope. Many of the songs of the CW group help me with these ideas.

GeorgeN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: