Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Houston Show!!  (Read 7138 times)
timi

Misic gives life more meaning!

« on: October 08, 2008, 05:14PM »

Is it possible for any High Kings show to be put into words? What about your FIRST High Kings show???

It has been four days since the Houston show. I am still struggling – words escape me!! To experience the High Kings from the FRONT ROW was FANTASTIC!!! From the moment Brian, Darren, Finbarr, and Martin stepped onto the stage, I was in AWE!!! "Rocky Road to Dublin" was AMAZING! "Fields of Glory" was even more overwhelming in person!! "Whiskey in the Jar" had us stomping our feet and clapping our hands trying to raise the roof! "Will Ye Go Lassie Go" and "Ar Eireann Ni Neosainn Ce hi" as well as "Paddy's Green Shamrock Shores" brought tears to my eyes! "Galway to Graceland" and "Black Velvet Band" were even more beautiful live! "The Holy Ground" and "Marie's Wedding" had me and Shannon singing as loud as we could and clapping and stomping as hard as we could!! 

The solos were AMAZING! Brian blessed us with "A Storm in My Heart" sung with such emotion and feeling a chill went down my spine and the hairs on my neck and arms stood on end! Finbarr's tale of the travels of a young man was brilliant with audience participation requested…NYAAAAA!!!!..."My Home in Sweet Glen lea" was full of fun!!! Martin had us rolling with laughter as he told of his grandfather chasing him and Aine around the house! And then he gave us, without a doubt, the BEST rendition of "Star of the County Down" I have ever heard! Darren's solo "The Leaving of Liverpool" took my breath away. I don't know what else to say!

And I can't forget the "King's Court" – as some of us lovingly refer to them. Ewan Cowley is a joy to watch playing instruments from Guitar to Mandolin to Bouzouki to the Keyboard!! Frank Mulcahy brings the Button Accordion to life! Alexis MacIsaac was fantastic on the Fiddle; Deirdre Frost was amazing on the Bass. Anthony breaths life into the bagpipes, which stirred the soul! Percussionist Andy Reilly was simply BRILLIANT! Shane McAvinchey!! What can I say??? His dancing swept me away to Ireland and his smile is one to make the girls swoon!

As "The Parting Glass" began, I knew the show was about to end and I remember thinking how grateful I felt to have another show on the horizon. "The Irish Rover" kept us on our feet!! I certainly was not ready for the night to be over. The DVD and CD are wonderful, but the High Kings show is a MUST!! Brian, Darren, Finbarr, and Martin bring the music to life; bring the sounds of Ireland to your heart and soul!!!

I hope I have left those who were not blessed to see them this trip yearning to see the High Kings on their next trip to the USA! Thank you Brian, Darren, Finbarr, and Martin!! What wonderful memories Shannon and I have to share!!!! 

A special night all the way round for us. Shannon truly felt as though she had her own private concert!!!
Maggie
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 05:31PM »

Cry Cry Cry

I'm so sad......not only did I miss the Orlando concert, but I got a ticket for Houston and missed that too!!!

I got the call to Hurricane Gustav, grabbed my bag and out the door. Didn't have time to call anyone.
The original Orlando concert was cancelled, I had bought 4 tix from Ticketmaster which were refunded, also I had 2 front row seats from WMFE, which Dave donated to the Irish Club.

Then I was sent to South East Texas, where I was so busy I didn't have time to think.
I heard on my car radio a promo for THK's Houston! So I called Ticketmaster and got a ticket.........Row E #3.
My hurricane buddy Trudi thought I was out of my mind to even think of going, as the traffic is horrendous.
But I set out on I-10 anyway, telling myself I deserved a few hours off........got as far as Winnie, and the traffic crawled to a standstill. I was listening to the Houston News........there was a bad accident on the road into Houston, blocking all 3 lanes.
Then I noticed smoke on the horizon, drivers were getting impatient and turning around on the median.
As I got closer, it was a big truck on fire. Everybody was making for the exit road, so I joined them.......sadly I decided I had to return to Beaumont / Orange.

So the High Kings had to do without my company yet again......never mind lads! I'll make it one day........

Until then I have very fond memories of meeting you all at WMFE back in March.

Good Luck with all your appearances, especially in the auld homeland.

Give 'em heck in Roscrea...and especially in Thurles......some of my family will be there!!!

Stop into De Burca (opposite the Cathedral) for a pint. Tell 'em put it on Maggie's tab.

nbrock

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 08:06AM »

Oh Maggie!  First of all, thanks so much for being such a kind and giving person.  The world is truly a better place because of you!  I'm proud to say I "know" you!

We were blessed to see The Kings 5 times this fall.  Our luck was almost as bad as yours with the spring tour - we missed them over & over again.  But boy were they worth waiting for!!! Grin 

I've kept in my mind the photo of you and your group with The Kings, and hoped that somehow we would also be privileged to share a few moments with these remarkable men.   Well, our dreams did come true!  We were amazed at the warmth & friendship these 4 men show to all their fans.  By the final show in Dallas we were old friends.   We now have photos too (and wonderful memories) and look forward to a quick return.  Maybe next tour we can actually meet the famous Maggie too!

Again, thanks for your giving spirit!  It seems to be an Irish trait!  Wink
Norma
timi

Misic gives life more meaning!

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 08:08AM »

Aww Maggie I am so sorry to hear all of this! I wish you could have been at the Houston show as well! It was so incredible!

I will say this, though...the world needs more wonderful giving people like yourself! And when they are back here in the states, I am sure you will get to see them!

Take Care! And hugs to all!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: