Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Darren's Blog  (Read 103080 times)
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« on: September 09, 2008, 10:39AM »

Glorious day for the High Kings and The Cats!

Hello everyone,

Greetings from Baltimore where we are experiencing torrential rain and thunderstorms at the moment.
We just did FOX TV here this morning and are gearing up for the first night of the High Kings US Tour!!
We are very excited and confident with this show and hope that the audiences will feel the same way when they hear us.

Well......What can I say about our day in Dublin's Croke Park.

We got to the stadium at midday and thousands of people were piling in at that stage so already we were getting the goosebumps!!

My dad and sister were in their seats for soundcheck so I knew where to look for them when we did it for real.

I was a bag of nerves before the game as "The Cats" from Kilkenny were once again going for 3 in a row of All Ireland hurling titles. These players are already immortal and had nothing left to prove.
But boy did they prove it once more!!

I actually was allowed into the players tunnel to watch some of the first half and when Kilkenny got their second goal in under a minute I just went ape!
I was beating the bodhran and jumping out of my skin almost on the pitch!!

It was hurling heaven for all of the many thousands there from home.

When we went out for the half time show, the game was already over as a contest.

I could really relax and enjoy our moment in the sun.

We had a huge reaction actually and the 82,000 strong crowd gave us a very warm reception and sang along with Rocky Road and Fields of Glory.

We were shown on two massive screens also, which was very cool.

I met quite a few officials from the Kilkenny team who I have known for many years since my hurling days, and they spoke very highly of our performnace and indeed, the team may show up at our show in Kilkenny in October!!

Thanks to the girls at the fansite for putting up the video footage of the match reports and homecoming!! It was great to see it. couldn't spot myself in the masses on the pitch though.

So, thats out of my system ( sorry I am hurling mad).

Tonight is a very special moment for the four of us and indeed everyone involved with the High Kings organization.

This is the moment we have waited for, the first US headlining tour.

We are ready!

Will let you know how it all goes. Fingers crossed!

Later,

Darren.

ps...........UP THE CATS!!!!!!

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
timi

Misic gives life more meaning!

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 09:25PM »

Beat me to it again, Rich!!

Thanks for posting this one as well Wink

Up The Cats!!!!!
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 12:57PM »

Today's update:

Thursday, September 11, 2008
Wallingford CT

Hey guys,

Good morning from Beautiful Burlington Vermont.

Made the most of an opportunity to sleep in, hit the gym and after this......Starbucks!!

Well.......as I said Baltimore was everything we could have hoped for and more.

Full house, roared their approval and sang every word with us for 2 hours, and afterwards lined up in their hundreds to say hi!

I had played the Hippodrome a few years back with Movin' Out, so it was nice to get on that stage again.

Last night again was another old favourite theater of mine to play, The Chevrolet in Wallingford Connecticut.
2,500 people in and boy did they let us know what they thought about us!!

Huge reaction all the way through again, almost like a rock show in places ha ha.

The Parting Glass was a very special moment for all of us on stage last night as the sight of the crowd standing from half way through it almost choked us up.
One for the grandkids!

Again, we signed posters, programs etc and met many great folks afterwards.

So, tonight we have sold out show and we are all itching to get up there and do it all over again.

But first....Starbucks!!

talk to y'all soon.

Best always,

Darren.

Up the Cats!!

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
timi

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 11:41AM »

Latest Blog from Darren!!

Sunday September 14, 2008

Boston.

Greetings from Boston!

So great to be back in this fantastic city. I played here 3 times with Riverdance and twice with Movin Out and feel like its a home away from home.

The audiences at both shows today were unreal! Its amazing to us that people like the HK so much.

We had an extra special day though today as Charlie and Norma, Joe and Cathy, and Katie and her mom were all at the shows.

Charlie and Norma gave us the best hats we ever saw, leather with HK embroidered in them!! All we need now is a HK motorbike! They also had a huge banner than got a great reaction. Very cool people indeed. Joe and Cathy were awesome too, and made us very welcome in Boston.

Katie and her mom came tonight and by all accounts it was worth the wait!
They said they had a ball, as we did.....great audience!

HK fans are a cut above in my book.

Heres to another great show tomorrow, then on to Philly!

D.

nbrock

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 04:24PM »

Thanks for posting this!  What a joy it was!  And what a shock that Darren would mention us just because we love them so much!  He's amazing! Smiley
Norma
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 09:20PM »

New update:

Philly and Pitsburgh

Hey everyone,

Two great shows in Philadelphia and Pitsburgh, and super crowds as well.

We had early morning tv in both cities so maybe there are links up somewhere online!

I think philly was the FOX channel, and the othere was Good Morning Pitsburgh.

We are ready to do a 7 hour journey to Grand Rapids for tomorrow nights show.

Hope you are all well.

later,

Darren.

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 04:45AM »

http://www.myspace.com/officialdarrenholden

New song and new pics!!

Hey guys and gals,

Finally there are some new pictures added to the space from the Holden vaults, plus a song that got away from the Roadwaorks album.

"Rockstar" was written with Bryan Steele and recorded in Atlanta in 2005.

Hope you like it.

Chicago was off the scale last night!! By far the most appreciative audience on the tour so far. They roared their lungs out and clapped all night long.

Enjoyed a very quiet day off in Knoxville TN.

Peace always,

Darren.

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 04:09PM »

Winding down in New Orleans.

Hey everyone,

As we near the close of our first headlining US tour, let me thank all of you who came out to support us! It really means a lot to know we have so many great fans/friends.

Having a blast in New Orleans at the moment, what a city!!

Florida was brilliant as always, and it was cool to swing by the old house in Orlando for a sec.

Tomorrow we head to Houston and Thursday its Dallas.

Can't wait!

Talk soon,

D.

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 06:11AM »

Back Home

Hi Everyone,

Made it back safe and sound, had a day off with the family on Sunday which was great, and then Monday we were the very first music act ever on RTE's brand new Seoige show, which went down really well.

Have a week off now and then Wed next we are back in rehearsals, and on the interview trail.

I believe this Sunday the Sunday Independant may have a piece on myself and Michelle in their Living section so check it out if you can.

Other than that, glad to be home, will catch up with you all soon,

Best always,

D.

timi

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 05:09PM »

Thanks Rich!!!
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 05:28PM »

Thanks Rich!!!
You're welcome, T!   Grin

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 07:27AM »

Ireland Tour Press!!!!

Hey everyone,

Just back from a trip to Tipperary today where we were on the Mary Beehan show on Tipp Mid-West Radio from 12- 2. Yes a 2 hour slot for the Kings!!
It was amazing and whle we were on over 200 texts and calls came to the studio.
We had a blast. Should be available online soon.

As we are all so crazed with preparations at the moment I will just give you a list of some upcoming press. Some or all of these you will hear online.
All are given in Irish time.

Oct 16th: Ricey Scully show- Midlands FM. 10-12PM
Oct 18th: Charlie MCGettiigan- Shannonside FM. 11-1PM
Oct 20th: Sue Nunn- KCLR FM. 11-1
Oct 21st: Geoff Harris-WLR FM. 4-7PM (JUST ME)
Oct 22nd: Fran Curry- Tipp FM. 11-1PM
Oct 25th: John Prendergast- Limerick Live 95 FM
Oct 27th: Padraig Quigley-Dundlak FM.9-10AM

Nov 1st: Aoife- Radio Kerry. 11-1pm
Nov 1st: Marc Roberts- Galway Bay FM. (JUST ME)
Nov 2nd: Pat Walshe- Connemara Comm Radio
Nov 5th: Tommy Makem- Midwest Radio. 11-1pm
Nov 8th: Seamus Hogan- Limerick 102 FM.

More to come probably. Things are gearing up nicely for us now, there are bilboards all across Ireland and we are ready!

Talk soon,

Thanks,

D.

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 11:55AM »

Tour is up and running

Hey everyone,

Donegal was incredible last night, and the perfect start to what will hopefully continue to be a loud tour!!

We were sold out,as we are tonight here in Cavan!

The people of Ireland have shown us that they are genuine in their support of the HK.

It means a lot to us.

Tomorrow its Dublin and the Gaiety Theater again.

Everything is in good shape!!

Talk soon,

D.

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 09:53AM »

Hello

Hey,

Enniscorthy, Galway were sensational audiences and yet again we are just blown away by this wave of appreciation for the HK.

Tomorrow we do Pat Kenny on RTE radio 1.

Tonight as I speak, we may get a spin on the Mike Harding show on BBC Radio 2.

Tomorrow night we take to the stage in the brand new state of the art Royal Theatre in Castlebar, then its Kilarney, Cork, Thurles and Waterford, which is another local gig for me with lots of family/friends attending.

Got to hang out with my good friend Marc Roberts after  last nights show, which is always a blast!  He is a big supporter of myslef/ HK and indeed a big star himself.

Catch up with you all soon,

Take care,

D

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 04:54PM »

Kings

Hey everyone,

Well......we filled the  Royal Theatre in Castlebar and the INEC in Kilarney on Friday for the second time this year, 1600 both nights  fans that were with us from song 1 right to the end. An amazing night, that really cemented the fact that we are Irelands group of 2008.

The Cork Opera house was a sellout from weeks ago and again, the crowd were chanting before we ever appeared onstage. Words can't convey how that made us feel, but again an incredible evening, and one that will remain with HK for a long time.

Thurles and Dungarvan were fantastic crowds and it was great to see so many family and friends in the audience.

I have seen so many old friends show up on this tour, which has made it cool to re-connect again.

We get tomorrow off and after a long day today which saw us travel 6 hours from Dungarvan to Belfast for a UTV radio interview.

Then its Limerick University Concert hall on Thursday as we head into the final 5 shows on a most successful tour.

Saturday, we are appearing on TG 4  as we are special guests at the Ladies All Star awards at City West, Dublin.

Again, a long day in store as soundchecks and camera checks are order of the day.

Then Sunday, its our final Dublin show of the tour and indeed many faces involved with the show are going to be there, and a very busy post show is in store.

I will check in again very soon,

Take care,

D.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: