Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Celtic gift from a friend  (Read 4870 times)
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« on: August 26, 2008, 10:26AM »

A friend at work knows that I like the Blackthorn Shillelaghs and in fact have two of them that I use when my sciatica kicks in. One sits on the dashboard of my car and has a good knob on it. Officialy it is for my back however, . . .  Grin

Today she surprised me with a gift of a Blackthorn Shillelagh that he sister brought back for her mother about 5 years ago. The mother is in a wheel chair and no longer uses it. It is in fine condition and thicker than the ones I have. This even has a Copper / Harp Irish penny imbedded in the handle. 

These are not the tourist short one that look like a club but the cane style (As used in the Quiet Man).

On top of it her great grandfather was for the NI (but I don't hold it against her).

Now please don't tell me that Shillelaghs come form the Shillelagh oak forest and all that. I know the history.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
kathleen
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 03:20PM »

What a great gift you received! Enjoy...hopefully that back of yours won't need it for awhile!

Angie
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 06:40PM »

What exactly is it Huh  I kind of understand a little,  does it help with arthritis Huh  Tell me more please.

Angie
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 06:45PM »

I know that it is like a walking stick, sort of, and that it it is carried under the arm - because of the song.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: