Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Olympic Thread  (Read 66218 times)
Meow

« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2008, 09:03AM »

I agree!  She may have made some mistakes, but they couldn't have gotten as far as they did without her!  And I think she still did beautifully - even with the mistakes!  I felt so bad for her every time they showed her on camera!  Sometimes I wished the cameras would just get out of her face and give her some privacy!

Thanks Evita (Lisaniac #1) for both banners!!
Kira_F
Total Fanatic

« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2008, 09:06AM »

olympic update below Grin Grin Grin

zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2008, 09:20AM »

Alicia and her teammates can represent me anytime.

Amen. As the father of a daughter who was a competitive gymnaist, I know what it takes for these girls, no ladies, no attain this level.  I have sat on the floor of the gym, camera in hand taking pictures and afterwards realized that my daughter was doing a back walk over with not part of her body on that 4 inch apparatus. Scary.

For those who criticize the women for mistakes I have one thing to say. YOU TRY IT.

I remember doing a duck walk on a beam when I was a freshman in college during PE and it was tough.

Good show ladies, even injured you did good.

I am proud of you. Silver is nothing to sneeze at.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
MeganDelia
Honorary Roadie

Thanks for the card and CD Mairead!!!

« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2008, 02:21PM »

Anybody who talks about Alicia's mistakes like that has to be a horrible person. I felt so sorry for her last night. She's a great gymnast and people need to realize that. Nobody's perfect.

Thanks Mel, for the great banner!! Smiley
~Megan xoxo~
Coleen
Global Moderator Emeritus

« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2008, 07:10PM »

I am so proud of the US women's gymnastics team.  Winning the silver medal is a huge accomplishment.    Smiley

Thank you for the lovely banner, Mel.
SusanZ
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2008, 07:30PM »

The amount of time,effort, and sacrifice that these athletes make in order to just compete in the Olympics is amazing. I congratulate them all for simply qualifying much less winning!! Grin

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
MeganDelia
Honorary Roadie

Thanks for the card and CD Mairead!!!

« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2008, 07:35PM »

You guys are right. I think they all did great last night. I could never do all the stuff that they're doing.

Thanks Mel, for the great banner!! Smiley
~Megan xoxo~
bob c

North Carolina

« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2008, 07:41AM »

US 92 - Greece 69 !!!!

Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2008, 01:25PM »

Ah, gotta catch up with this thread. Law school has gotten me behind on posts.

I didn't get to watch the team competition because I was overloaded with homework, but I did read about it. I feel terrible for Alicia. I've watched her gymnastics for years and I feel sorry for her. I'm kinda not surprised though. I feel like she's the most inconsistent. She's fantastic on vault though. I really hope she medals there on the individual event.

Also, good for the Romanians for getting bronze. With the state of their program, I know they were simply happy to be on the podium this time around.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
CRRopes
Total Fanatic

« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2008, 02:00AM »

Nastia, I've been rooting for you all the way and you did it! And Shawn, I was hoping you'd get silver. I'm proud of the way you both represented our country! You did great, with the silver for the team and the gold and silver for individual. You made me proud to be American tonight!

Chris

James
Total Fanatic

« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2008, 02:12AM »

Yeah!! Nastia and Shawn were awesome!!!!!

Bela Karolyi's reaction after Nastia's floor exercise was waaaay too funny!!!! I think Bela scared Bob Costas just a tad. Bob's reaction was priceless...he looked like he was going to run out of the studio! HAHAHAHA  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy That made my day!

bob c

North Carolina

« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2008, 03:42PM »

Bob's note ......this may seem like a modest achievement in view of the great performances by our swimmers (Phelps in particular) and the Gymnasts (the two young woman discussed above) ......but, given the sad state of America distance running, I am just so proud of Shalane for pulling this off .......it doesn't hurt that she bleeds tar heel blue, and is bit Irish I suspect ...... Grin

BEIJING (AP)—Tirunesh Dibaba of Ethiopia has won the 10,000 meters in an Olympic record 29 minutes, 54.66 seconds—the second fastest time ever for a woman at that distance.

The two-time 10,000 world champion sat just behind Turkey’s Elvan Abeylegesse until the start of the last lap, then went to the front with 350 meters to go.

She surged ahead down the back stretch and finished almost two seconds clear of Abeylegesse, who took silver in 29:56.34. The pair were only the second and third women to break the 30-minute barrier.

Wang Junxia of China set the world record of 29:31.78 in 1993.

Shalane Flanagan set a U.S. record 30:22.22 to win bronze.

bob c

North Carolina

« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2008, 04:17PM »

This is what Shalane looks like when hasn't just finished a grueling 10000 meter run ......

Trouble
Bodhrán Player

Play with Fire.

« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2008, 09:21PM »

OMG Phelps won the 100M Fly and it was so freaking close I was worried but when Phelps name showed up #1! Oh man, my work went crazy! Way to Go PHELPS!

Thanks Lindsey
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2008, 01:25AM »

I was watching ladies beach volleyball the other day and Misty & Kerri won on a point but the other side served. I thought in volleyball you could only score when you served?

I guess I should pay more attention to the game and the rules, rather than on the 'uniforms' worn by the ladies   Cheesy   Roll Eyes

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: