Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Olympic Thread  (Read 66230 times)
Bookworm
Honorary Roadie

Thanks Celtic Chicken!

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2008, 06:18AM »

Insert Quote
Quote from: 07GRAD-sara on Today at 04:06 AM
Anyone else see the medal ceremony for the mens 400 individual medley.  They were playing the National Anthem for Phelps and they cut the very end of it off.

Yes I saw and noted the cut off. But the whole thing sounded a bit off too.

This isnt the first or last foul up with a national anthem. I remember a while back that someone from a small country unexpectedly won and they couldnt find the anthem. But with all the different countries and medal ceremonies, I think a few mistakes are just going to happen.

But I also bet whoever fouled up isnt happy right now. With all the preparation and pride the Chinese leadership have put forth and how truly awesome the opening ceremonies were, you know they arent happy with some foul up like this that can, but shouldnt, happen.

I did notice that Michael Phelps laughed about it though. So did President Bush.

Thank you Lisa Kelly Fan and Brian H

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.
07-sara
Bodhrán Player

Smile, you never know who's watching.

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2008, 06:24AM »

I noticed they laughed about it too.  They should have plenty more times to get it correct as Phelps is going for 8 golds.

Happy is what happens, when all your dreams come true!

Sara
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2008, 06:40AM »

So did I. Watching on television, I'm a sports fan of all the American athletes.

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
Jammalot
Honorary Roadie

Finally back!

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2008, 01:53PM »

Late response, but yeah, the Dutch team did win gold, 4x100 ladies Grin I was happy about it, and the opponents were all very good, the USA and Australian team were so close!
I think a Dutch dude was in the same race as Phelps, but I didn't see it, so not sure.... Smiley

Wel, here's a map and here's a bible, if you ever lose your way

By Scott

Ty Rich! Grin
epicwolf

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2008, 04:10PM »

Anyone else see the medal ceremony for the mens 400 individual medley.  They were playing the National Anthem for Phelps and they cut the very end of it off.

yea I saw it. First they played the first verse like 3 times or something and then they cut it short. My first thought was if it happens to other countries besides the United States, will they laugh it off like we do? Not saying we don't love our country as much as the other countries but we're able to be a little bit more easy minded. Certain countries might want them to replay it again because of the pride for their countries. Im sure China probably fired that dude or female who ran the medal ceremony by not preparing that well. China has this image they want to show the world. Hopefully Phelps can get the next 7 medals.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 04:13PM by epicwolf » Logged

epicwolf

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2008, 04:12PM »

I believe this is the best opening ceremony I have ever seen. I'm still in my 20's so I didn't get to see that many opening ceremonyies for the summer olympics but ever since 92 in barcelona my first experienced in watching the oplympics, it is by far the best ever. China did exceeded expectation.

epicwolf

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2008, 04:14PM »

Since Celtic Woman community has a lot of Irish decent and Irish love, what sports will Ireland win the gold in the olympics? I'm not even sure what sports they will be participating in.

Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2008, 06:12PM »

Anyone else watching gymnastics? It's my favorite Olympic event. I always watch it.

I have to say, I think I might believe these reports of underage Chinese gymnasts. I mean, typically they are very, very tiny, but some of these girls look like babies.

I feel bad for the Romanians. Their program has just totally disolved in the last few years. Tisk tisk. Sandra Izbasa and Steliana Nistor are really the only leaders on that team.

It looks like it's gonna be a battle royale between USA and China! Go Shawn Johnson!!!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
SusanZ
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2008, 07:16PM »

Anyone else watching gymnastics? It's my favorite Olympic event. I always watch it.

I have to say, I think I might believe these reports of underage Chinese gymnasts. I mean, typically they are very, very tiny, but some of these girls look like babies.

I feel bad for the Romanians. Their program has just totally disolved in the last few years. Tisk tisk. Sandra Izbasa and Steliana Nistor are really the only leaders on that team.

It looks like it's gonna be a battle royale between USA and China! Go Shawn Johnson!!!
I love watching gymnastics too ,Emily. It takes not only agility, but a tremendous amount of power and strength. GO USA !

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2008, 07:58PM »

Man, the USA women were just really struggling there. The falls, the wobbles...just unbelievable. I never thought I'd live to see the day that Nastia would fall on the bars. I felt HORRIBLE for Alicia not qualifying for the floor. That's always been one of her bests. I've been watching her gymnastics for years.

Oh well. I hope the USA can clean it up for the event finals! Go team USA!!!!!!!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
Trouble
Bodhrán Player

Play with Fire.

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2008, 07:59PM »

Yeah, I saw them falling and slipping too.  Shocked  They did real well on the balance beam though.

Thanks Lindsey
07-sara
Bodhrán Player

Smile, you never know who's watching.

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2008, 08:51PM »

I'm amazed at the German gymnast who is 33.  This is her 5th Olympics, the first women to compete in 5.  It's  unheard of for someone that age to still be in that kind of shape in this physically demandind sport.  She qualified for the finals in the vault and I really hope that she wins a medal.

Happy is what happens, when all your dreams come true!

Sara
Jeanine
Honorary Roadie

Christmas Symphony Tour was WONderful!!

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2008, 08:54PM »

I've only caught parts of the games here and there.  Let's not forget the New Zealand athletes also.  Remember, miss Hayley is a Kiwi. Wink  Has anyone seen them in the games this season yet?

"Come to Me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." - Jesus Christ
(Matthew 11:28)
timi

Misic gives life more meaning!

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2008, 09:58PM »

Phelps (and his teammates) just won GOLD in the relay!!!! WTG men!!!
Trouble
Bodhrán Player

Play with Fire.

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2008, 10:32PM »

OMG I saw that and Phelps went Crazy! haha that was awesome! I was afraid at first we were falling behind but then we caught up and got first! I screamed lol

Thanks Lindsey
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: