Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reaction in Ireland  (Read 6790 times)
Maggie
« on: April 08, 2008, 09:48AM »

I've been keeping track of the National and Regional Media reaction in Ireland. I can find no comment in the British Media, except The Irish Post which is published for the Irish in Britain.

As is normal, in Kilkenny they see Martin as the leader of the High Kings, in Tipperary Finbarr is the leader.
Here is a piece from an earlier review, before they were on PBS :

DARREN HOLDEN AND THE HIGH KINGS

Mooncoin’s Darren Holden just landed home after eight very busy days in the USA promoting the High Kings, his latest band (www.thehighkings.com). He flew from Dublin to Chicago on Saturday morning last and, after a quick rest, was taken to dinner by EMI and his tour promoter, Madstone Productions. Darren and the band even performed four-part harmony acappella pieces for the diners! All in all, it was a great night. Sunday was the big day for Darren, and indeed it lived up to all his expectations.

Here is a Promo piece from one of the Theatres in Ireland where they will appear:

Finbarr Clancy, Brian Dunphy, Martin Furey and Darren Holden, renowned vocalists and musicians, have come together to create the most exciting Irish ballad group to emerge since The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem electrified the worldwide folk revival of the 1960s.
The outstanding four-part vocal harmonies are backed by a band which includes world-class musicians: Martin O'Connor on accordion, Nollaig Casey on fiddle, Dave Keery and Ewan Cowley on guitar, Paul Moore on double bass and master percussionist Robbie Harris, who performs a modern, contemporary dance off with the spectacular Irish dancer, Mick Donegan, formerly of Riverdance. Incorporating some of the classic ballad repertoire from the past with new and exciting modern songs in the folk idiom, THE HIGH KINGS is not to be missed.

The rough with the smooth!
Along with the good reviews there are bound to be a few bad, and some members of the public found the music "a bit cheesy".
There are scathing comments by critics trying to earn a crust by being different.
Happily these are in the minority!
Here is part of one by Siobhán Long of the Irish Times, commenting on the music:

..... "at its worst, aimed at those unfortunate enough to cling valiantly to a misty-eyed picture of the motherland. Everything from The Auld Triangle to Marie's Wedding is utterly disembowelled, and even the presence of Máirtín O'Connor and Nollaig Casey can't rescue what is an excruciating collection."
(Note from Maggie - obviously I think this Siobhán Long is a nutcase!)

Here is one review by a member of the public, having seen them on Irish TV:

"Caught a bit of the High Kings on TV, was sorry I missed so much of the show. They are incredible and it is important to keep these older songs alive for next generations.
There are many other groups taking Irish music in different directions which is also a good thing, but am delighted to see The High Kings singing traditional older songs.
The calibre of the group is high, given their backgrounds. They may only do well abroad which is a pity, but our loss. I hope they are around for a long time to come.
We need the old style along with the new. I was quite young when the Clancy Brothers were singing but I do recall my Dad watching them on TV, so there are good memories attached to most of the songs."

« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 06:34PM by Maggie » Logged
timi

Misic gives life more meaning!

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 10:40PM »

Loved reading this Maggie! Thanks for sharing these reviews.

I must say I agree with you on the "bad review". Wink
SkyDancerDove

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 11:42PM »

Thank you ever so kindly Maggie for this post. I myself scoured the net for reviews of their Irish Tour to little avail. I even had the assistance of Finbar and Sheila Furey, Martin's parents, they too were disappointed that there was only one write up of the Lads tour in the Irish Press. Sadly that one wasn't very supportive to the show Sad

I was lucky in that many of The High Kings Irish fans who went to the shows gave me updates on what brilliant performances they gave and the "Standing O's" they received at the end of the shows through out Ireland.

Safe Journeys & God Bless
~Marsha~

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: