Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A bit of Irish Memorabilia up for sale  (Read 4259 times)
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« on: February 07, 2008, 08:36AM »

The full article is here at Irish World http://www.theirishworld.com/article.asp?SubSection_Id=2&Article_Id=4681

but here are excerts

A MEDAL awarded to an Irish soldier who took part in the Easter Rising in Dublin in 1916 is set to go under the auctioneer’s hammer.

The medal was awarded to William Patrick Partridge and has been passed down through his family to his grandson, Sid McAuley who lives in Thornbury in Devon.

William Patrick Partridge was an active trade unionist, early Sinn Feiner and trusted friend of James Connolly and Jim Larkin.

He formed the ITGWU and was directly involved in the 1913 Dublin Lockout.

Around this time he was also president of the ASE, a Dublin Labour councillor, and founder member of the Irish Labour Party.

During the Easter Rising he was a Captain of the Irish Citizen Army, working alongside the Volunteers.

He fought alongside Countess Markievicz at the College of Surgeons during the battle.

He was captured and sentenced to 15 years for taking part in an armed rebellion and also for anti-recruitment speeches.

He was shipped to Dartmoor Prison, but was later released due to illness. He died of Brights Disease at his home in 1917, aged 43.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 09:00AM by zankoku » Logged

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Maggie
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 12:29PM »

Let's hope it is bought by a Museum in Ireland.

I am already thinking about the Centennial Celebration of the Easter Rising.
I hope to be there.
Yes I know, it's still 8 years away, but you have to have some goals.

This is the GPO in 1916, and today:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: