Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Celtic Thunder X (PBS special)  (Read 10399 times)
CWazyTom
Honorary Roadie

One CWazy Canadian! Chlovër for life!

« on: March 23, 2018, 07:58PM »

Tonight, I watched the Celtic Thunder X PBS special, partly because the group is Sharon Browne's baby and partly because some of the other people on the forums are fans.

Mini-Review

I thought it was good. Their style and song choices are less up my alley than Celtic Woman. Just not my cup of Barry's Tea (#ShamelessPlug). I preferred their previous special, Legacy, to this one, but they did do some songs I really enjoyed. From the Ground Up and May the Road Rise to Meet You were good harmony numbers.

I'm not a huge fan of what they did with The Voice, but I'll give them credit for trying to do it differently. I'm sure their version of Streets of London sounds fine ... unless you've heard Mairead Carlin sing it, because once you've heard it from her, nothing else compares.

I really like their fiddler, Nicole Hudson. She's of course very talented. She doesn't move around as often as the Celtic Woman fiddlers, but she always looks like she's having a great time and when I see her smiling off the left of the screen, I smile too.  Cheesy  By extension, The Devil Went Down to Georgia and the band instrumental before the finale were among my favourite moments of the show.

My favourite moment was the finale, Ireland's Call. They always do a fantastic job with that song. Lots of fun and great harmony!

Pledge Breaks

One of the same hosts that does the Celtic Woman pledge breaks was doing this one. She's alright. I wouldn't call it highly inspired promotional work, but I suppose it was adequate. She pronounced their names correctly. I guess O'Dwyer is easier to pronounce than "Tara" or "Woman?" I dunno... It wasn't quite at the same level as the person doing the pledge breaks for The Bloody Irish. THAT was impressive work.

They had Ryan Kelly and Michael O'Dwyer in the studio this time ( they didn't have Celtic Woman in the studio during the Homecoming airing Cry ). Michael I think was a bit nervous. Ryan was pretty cool.

The Road Ahead

Celtic Thunder apparently has a tour show within half an hour of me this fall. It's super-convenient location-wise, but...

... It looks like I'll be going to a LOT of shows in the second half of the year (possibly 10 in the span of 4 months). If I have to choose between seeing Celtic Thunder, Chloë, Amy Rivard, CaraNua, Lisa Lambe, Lisa Kelly, Mairead Nesbitt, Orla, or Chloe Lowery, those boys are definitely getting the short end of that stick. I think I'll leave it until the last minute and try to get a nosebleed seat depending on what happens with the other shows.

Overall

Overall, the show was entertaining. Their performances get my head bobbing and toes tapping. I've got nothing against Celtic Thunder, my heart will forever and always belong to Celtic Woman. <3
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 06:05AM by CWazyTom » Logged

Tara Forum (@TaraMcNeilForum)
http://www.taramcneillforum.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TaraMcNeillForum/

CaraNua Fans (@CaraNuaFans)

Candy Canadiana (@candycanfans)
https://www.facebook.com/CandyCanFans
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 09:36PM »

My PBS station recently had the lads on  almost a week ago now.  They started out very different but ended up more traditional in the end.   Cool

Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

my two favorite green eyed ladies

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 04:10PM »

saw it recently......songs from "The Monkees"?...let me think about that.  Roll Eyes

thanks EVI

Hi Kev, I sneeked into your account as you know, wanted to say: love you!!!!

Love, Evi.
Kimberly AJ
Choir Member

Chloë Agnew will always be my VBIF forever~!

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 06:04PM »

Even American country songs like "From the Ground Up", I just can't forget the romantic moments.

LOOK OUT! ROGUE ROBOTS!
Celtic Chan
Bodhrán Player

Queen Méav

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 06:00PM »

I've listened to the CD many times now, and I love it - yet to see the DVD. I agree with you on "The Voice." I thought maybe this would be better to hear as an Emmet solo because of his operatic voice; though, I could see Ryan challenging this song, too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: