Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Northern Ireland?  (Read 61055 times)
Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

my two favorite green eyed ladies

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2012, 03:45PM »

it`s unfortunate that the people there get so upset at what religion you are......I know, my elderly neighbor is from Dublin  and I swear, she`s so Catholic, she makes the Pope look Jewish. People are people...let them practice their own religion. As long as people respect each other. we have to accept ALL beliefs.Stay safe Kirstie.

thanks EVI

Hi Kev, I sneeked into your account as you know, wanted to say: love you!!!!

Love, Evi.
kirstie_x
Bodhrán Player

Fill the glasses one more time!

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2012, 03:47PM »

hahaha!! brilliant! I'm annoyed about the flag, but because of my family/friends I'm not kicking up a fuss, as long as they don't try to tell me I'm Irish I don't really care lol! Thanks Kevin Smiley

All I ask is that you want me as a friend  Kiss
Celtic Woman Home For Christmas August 7th 2013-best night of my life Smiley

Thanks, ShiningBright Smiley
Potato Pants
Honorary Roadie

<3meav<3

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2013, 12:46PM »

My parents lived in England back in the 70s and they were touring Europe at this time, and they were going to visit Ireland but they didn't because of conflict with Northern Ireland or something. That's all I know. Tongue

AKA CelticWomanFreak (CWF)

Proud member of the Gosh Dang Potato Gang (Idaho)
6/6/13: Best night of my life. Dreams really do come true.
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 09:15PM »

What's this I heard a while back about the current president of Ireland wanting schools there to stop teaching the Irish language in schools?     

kirstie_x
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 01:15PM »

My parents lived in England back in the 70s and they were touring Europe at this time, and they were going to visit Ireland but they didn't because of conflict with Northern Ireland or something. That's all I know. Tongue

Yeah back then it was bad, from what I've been told, like you couldn't speak to certain people if they where catholic/protestant and that's how people have been brought up... but from then things have changed loads, places aren't as segregated now. But now because they've taken down the union flag it;s kicked up a fuss & protestants are being badly reflected on, because we don't want a united Ireland (to be honest it's cheaper to be British haha!) 

What's this I heard a while back about the current president of Ireland wanting schools there to stop teaching the Irish language in schools?     

I haven't heard that, but I don't know much about Ireland, I don't think many people now speak Irish though, I know it's taught in Catholic schools, but that's about it lol Smiley

Dan

Éireannach

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 02:40PM »

The idea has been floated around recently to stop teaching Irish because it's not really used much outside of the Gaeltacht areas. I'm sure Maggie could shed more light on it--but it would take removing Irish as an official language in the south for that to fully happen.

Given who runs the Education and Culture ministries in the north, it wouldn't surprise me to see Irish (and even Ulster Scots) at least offered in integrated schools soon.

20 June 2007-Portland, ME
22 March 2012-Manchester, NH
2 March 2013-Portland, ME
30 May 2014-Bangor, ME
28 March 2015-Portland, ME
28 June 2016-Lowell, MA
9 April 2017-Portland, ME
4 April 2018-Portland, ME
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2013, 08:45PM »

The idea has been floated around recently to stop teaching Irish because it's not really used much outside of the Gaeltacht areas. I'm sure Maggie could shed more light on it--but it would take removing Irish as an official language in the south for that to fully happen.

Given who runs the Education and Culture ministries in the north, it wouldn't surprise me to see Irish (and even Ulster Scots) at least offered in integrated schools soon.
Thanks for the info.     Cool   

Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2013, 07:01AM »

My elderly neighbor that was born and brought up in Dublin said when she was little, she wasen`t allowed to play with anyone that wasen`t Catholic.  Shocked

thanks EVI

Love, Evi.
barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2013, 03:20PM »

Even though I am not cotholic (greek orthodox) I think the situation their is terrible. I heard alot and I mean alot of bad stuff about northern part of ireland Sad It is really sad. I read a book by colm toibin (famous irish aoutor ) - a true autobiograpghy of when he was growing up in the northern part of ireland and how hard it was. I read the first chapter and i could not bare to think of how people live like that.  And yeas this was all in the last 50 years or so.  And armed guards preventing people from the south coming in and warish type zones. (interesting  true book if you guys ever get a chance to read it!) But it should not bee like this now.  Even when I was looking up england ireland tours I overlooked the ones that went to the northern part of the country.

I I I I hear your voice on the wind, and I I I I hear you call out my name, listen my child you say to me I am the voice of your history be not afraid come follow me answer my call and i'll set you frrreeeee!!!!!!!
Dan

Éireannach

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2013, 06:37PM »

My elderly neighbor that was born and brought up in Dublin said when she was little, she wasen`t allowed to play with anyone that wasen`t Catholic.  Shocked

That'll have changed now. My grandmother's generation was like that as well--imagine a Cork girl marrying a Protestant from Antrim.

And Barb--I would say that avoiding the North isn't necessary nowadays. While there has been protests over the flag flying issue in Belfast, I (along with many other hopefuls) don't see this movement lasting for much longer. Plus, I'm a bit biased--you should visit Armagh at least once. Smiley

30 May 2014-Bangor, ME
28 June 2016-Lowell, MA
kirstie_x
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2013, 06:29AM »

that's how it used it be, and that's what it's gonna go back too, like i'm protestant, and my best friend is catholic, and i wouldn't change her for the world!-we all have a laugh about it, shes wraps me up in a tricolour, i wrap her up in union jacks, its how we roll... the rest of this messed up country needs to cotton on!

Even though I am not cotholic (greek orthodox) I think the situation their is terrible. I heard alot and I mean alot of bad stuff about northern part of ireland Sad It is really sad. I read a book by colm toibin (famous irish aoutor ) - a true autobiograpghy of when he was growing up in the northern part of ireland and how hard it was. I read the first chapter and i could not bare to think of how people live like that.  And yeas this was all in the last 50 years or so.  And armed guards preventing people from the south coming in and warish type zones. (interesting  true book if you guys ever get a chance to read it!) But it should not bee like this now.  Even when I was looking up england ireland tours I overlooked the ones that went to the northern part of the country.

Northern Ireland isn't all bad now, well at this precise moment and time, it is. I'll admit it- but this is for reason, as I've mentioned in this post previously, but I don't agree with the riots which are happening now, our community is falling apart, and causing chaos on themselves. but it isn't help by the catholic community living in belfast either, they are adding to hassle, which is being retaliated to... Until last month, Northern Ireland was beginning to become quite a peaceful place, renaming the 1st - 12th July as the OrangeFest, and we celebrated it St Patricks as one. We have moved on from segregating communities completely, and people are starting to be able to live in peace, but every so often theres a spanner thrown in the works, and we go back to how it was. But because Northern Ireland isn't under Irish rule, and we have both Protestant (British) and Catholic (Irish) communities, it can get a bit sticky at times. But PLEASE don't judge us by that book, times have changed. We're just going through a sticky patch at the minute Smiley

That'll have changed now. My grandmother's generation was like that as well--imagine a Cork girl marrying a Protestant from Antrim.

And Barb--I would say that avoiding the North isn't necessary nowadays. While there has been protests over the flag flying issue in Belfast, I (along with many other hopefuls) don't see this movement lasting for much longer. Plus, I'm a bit biased--you should visit Armagh at least once. Smiley

That's how my grandad and granny where, grandad was protestant, granny was catholic (and joined the protestant community-kids got catholic names thought hahaha!) I'm seriously hoping this flag business dies down soon, it's becoming a ridicule of Northern Ireland, and getting OLD fast!

Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2013, 06:59AM »

When I told my elderly Irish neighbor that the girl across the street WASN`T Catholic, I thought I`d have to call 911(that`s the emergency phone number Kirstie) from the look of horror on her face. As far as she`s concerned, the world is Catholic, everyone in the world is Catholic and should be in Catholic church.

thanks EVI

Love, Evi.
barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2013, 11:25AM »

When I told my elderly Irish neighbor that the girl across the street WASN`T Catholic, I thought I`d have to call 911(that`s the emergency phone number Kirstie) from the look of horror on her face. As far as she`s concerned, the world is Catholic, everyone in the world is Catholic and should be in Catholic church.
lol on the last part of your post!! I thought the same thing for a while and felt odd about not being greek!  but, that is def. not the case now!!!  And I know it will not last must longer!! (watch lincoln, even though it is american it kinda has that north south  democrat republican stop war type thing going on and yes it does get better towrds the end  like how we live nowadays!) And I would love to visit donegal,cliff of moher and the giants causeway! Smiley

I I I I hear your voice on the wind, and I I I I hear you call out my name, listen my child you say to me I am the voice of your history be not afraid come follow me answer my call and i'll set you frrreeeee!!!!!!!
Dan

Éireannach

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2013, 12:40PM »

that's how it used it be, and that's what it's gonna go back too, like i'm protestant, and my best friend is catholic, and i wouldn't change her for the world!-we all have a laugh about it, shes wraps me up in a tricolour, i wrap her up in union jacks, its how we roll... the rest of this messed up country needs to cotton on!

Can we get you two upta Stormont? Marty and Peter could learn a thing or two!  Tongue

30 May 2014-Bangor, ME
28 June 2016-Lowell, MA
kirstie_x
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2013, 02:14PM »

hahaha! thats hilarious....bless her soul!! thats the ONe thing  i want to do before I die, go to Mass dunno why all churches are boring haha!!

Can we get you two upta Stormont? Marty and Peter could learn a thing or two!  Tongue

haha YES i vote for us to run the country, it would be a shambles but no riots over flags lol!! where are you from Dan? Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: