Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Homes of Donegal, aka: one couples vacation to Ireland  (Read 63101 times)
greenfire6
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2012, 12:02AM »

So we returned to Drumshanbo late Saturday afternoon and a few of us are keen to watch some of the Trad dance compititions.

Entering the place we immediately see that the Trad Waves stage is dressed up really nice...

The compititors would dance to live music provided by the gentleman just barely in view right.

The stage was flanked on the right by this large muriel that reminded me of Loreena McKennitt.  Smiley

And on the left by this large muriel. I was told these very Celtic looking muriels were made by the local school children.

When entering the people that I was with chose to sit at the back. I was having nothing to do with that. I proceeded forward looking for a better seat. The nice lady that was organizing the dance compititions recognized me and waved me up to sit with her in the front row.  Cool (She had visited our group the night before and briefed and invited us to the compititions).

She was such a sweetie!  Wink She explained every technical dance thing that was going on and gave me the VIP treatment!  Grin

Compitions covered multiple forms of Trad Irish dance and multiple age classifications from children to teens to adults. Most of the compititions were solo dances but there were a few ensembles. I took loads of pictures but most came out blurry so I will only post this one:

Childrens group dance underway.

One group of children receiving their rewards. The kids were nervous on stage but look how excited they are now!

Next post: Saturday nite Pub Crawl Drumshanbo, Co. Leitrim!  Grin Cheesy  Wink  Shocked  Tongue
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:04AM by greenfire6 » Logged
Patti Plays Pipes

though hope is frail it's hard to kill...<3

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2012, 04:15PM »

this has made me want to visit Ireland even MORE!!

Patricia~Patti! * I play pipes & harp!

Thank you Hayley! xxxxxxx
greenfire6
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2012, 08:48PM »

this has made me want to visit Ireland even MORE!!

In my book a vacation to Ireland can not be topped!  Wink
greenfire6
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2012, 08:55PM »

In reference to my openning post in this topic...

I am still getting Newsletters from Leo's Tavern!!!  Grin   Here quoted is their latest:

Moya Brennan & Aisling Jarvis
Posted: 16 Jun 2011 11:58 PM PDT[/i]
Friday Nights Traditional Session is back and this week it’s special. Moya Brennan returns after last weeks hugely successful Voices & Harps Workshop, with her daughter Aisling Jarvis and friends take to the stage. You are in for a treat ’cause they’re brilliant.  The craic kicks off at 10pm in the lounge. We hop you can join us and give your ears a party.

Obviously the date of the posting is a typo.  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 09:07PM by greenfire6 » Logged
greenfire6
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2012, 11:30PM »

Saturday nite's after dinner music was provided by our "Tour Minders", James and Donnie, aka: Men of Worth.

LOL! NOT to be confused with "Men of Girth"!  Grinhttp://www.menofworth.com/

Later that night...

At this stage I was waaaay overdue to go on a real Irish Pub Crawl. (NOT to be confused with bar hop! LOL!) So Mark (another in our group of dumb American tourists) and I set out on foot into the brisk, even magical, air of the Irish night bound for tiny "downtown" Drumshanbo where we had been told several pubs could be found.  Cool

I felt like I was Walking on Air!  Well the first and second pubs we encountered were packed with patrons and musicians! Hardly even standing room was visible from the doorway! We decided to split up and try to find our own way. I walked alone, further into the village, and soon arrived at a doorway to another tiny pub packed as the others. I decided I must, somehow, wiggle in.  Smiley

The place was hopping with local musicians and vocalists deep into their Trad music session. To my utter surprise, at that moment, a man stood up to leave and offered me his stool at the bar.  Smiley I Immediately ordered a pint of Guinness and sat to enjoy the MUSIC!  Grin

Suddenly, here I was in a tiny village pub, deep in rural Ireland, enjoying a Guinness, served properly, and listening to local musicians and vocalists doing what they do all the time! It could not have been more wonderful!  Wink Cheesy

The bar minders were several and mostly young. In time (between tunes and songs) me and one of the bar minders struck up a conversation about motorcycle racing. He was a big fan as am I. We talked about the current news and stars of Moto GP. I asked him if he was following the amazing two Ulstermen Johnny Rea and  Eugene Laverty in FIM World Superbike. He said, unfortunately, they don't get World Superbike on TV. Then he asked me if I have ever heard of Joey Dunlop from Ballymoney! I replied, Joey Dunlop? Are you kidding? One of the greatest true road racers of all time! So we talked about Joey and his amazing little brother Robert, who are now both deceased from doing what they loved.  Cry

As time went on I was feeling a bit underdressed in a button down shirt without tie. Many of the male patrons were in shirit 'n  tie and even coat and many of the ladies were in very pretty dresses.

Ordering my second pint, a couple, about my age, came in and two gentleman to my right got up to leave and offered them their stools. As it would develope Sheamus and Eileen would be very warm and friendly to me.  Smiley

VERY briefly... Eileen was closest to me, introduced herself and himself, and was very interested in me, where I was from, and what I was doing in Ireland. Of course I was equally interested in them. Sheamus was in coat and tie and Eileen was dolled up in a very pretty dress making me feel a bit low. Anyway, we had a wonderful ramblinging converstaion that included how happy Eileen was to be recently retired, how Sheamus would need to keep working forever, and how excited I was to soon visit Leo's Tavern in Gweedore, Co. Donegal.

Eileen didn't know about Leo's and asked, Oh, do you have family up there? I replied No! and explained. It turned out she knew well of Clannad, Moya, Enya, etc. but did not know of Leo's.  Huh

I thank Sheamus and Eileen for being so warm and open to me and adding immeasurably to my experience of rural Ireland!

And I offer this brief, anecdotal, account only to demonstrate that the Irish people are as warm and friendly as any people, anywhere.

Here are two pictuers I took of the Session in that pub:

I grant you it it the simplest things in life that I admire, and enjoy, most.  Smiley
greenfire6
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2012, 01:01AM »

So my BIG pub crawl adventure amounted to one pub and two pints.  Embarrassed Never mind, it could not have been more fun and interesting!  Cheesy

Sunday morning we were off to beautiful Lough Gill and (Robert) Parke's Castle.

Himself and herself "Happy Campers" upon boarding the Rose of Innisfree.
http://roseofinnisfree.com/

The cruise on the lough would include selected WB Yeats poetry recited by the skipper and our own Irishman, James, singing The Isle of Innisfree acaplela. This may sound corny for the cynical reader. The cynical reader's loss, my gain.  Wink Cheesy

A few scenes from Lough Gill:

Looking back to the east from our point of departure.

The celebrated Isle of Innishfree. Unfortunately a cloud was shadowing as we passed by the isle made famous by WB Yeats.

One of a few boats of fisherman we saw on the lough.

Next up... Parke's Castle.  Smiley
MikeyK
Honorary Roadie

Proud Chloëver

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2012, 10:17AM »

Beautiful photos and wonderful stories, David! Keep 'em coming!
greenfire6
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2012, 08:19PM »

Keep 'em coming!

I'm on it! Thanks Mikey.  Smiley

Right after our wonderful cruise on Lough Gill ( and a lunch of sandwiches onboard) we walked from the dock up to Parke's Castle for what would be a very informative and fun tour. Unfortunately I didn't manage my camera battery correctly so the pictures below are from Diane's camera and she only took exterior views. To find a few interior views, including Richard and Mary Parke models, in period dress sitting around one of the many fireplaces, please follow this link:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Parkes+Castle+Ireland&qpvt=Parkes+Castle+Ireland&FORM=IGRE#x0y0

Some would have a good argument that Parkes Castle is really O'Rourke's Castle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkes_castle
Captain and Mary Parke with their two children lived in the third (and no longer existing) fourth story over the gate house.

This round tower, on the south east angle, is were Captain Parke's garrison of 30 soldiers billeted.
Our guide told us Captain Parke did not provide the garrison food. They had to "forage" for their own!
You know what that meant for the local people.  Cry

Looking out one of the many battle positions.
The body of water in all these pictures is Lough Gill.

Our guide was very informative and personally interesting. At one point she did a lengthy Trad Irish dance for us. She also told us that she grew up in a cottage with a thatched roof (the 1950s).  She didn't realize that had become unusual until she started school. Peer pressure made her ashamed and she wished none of her school chums knew. But now, as a student and teacher of Irish history she is not ashamed and feels blessed to have grown up under a thatched roof.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 07:02PM by greenfire6 » Logged
greenfire6
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2012, 08:01PM »

Sunday afternoon all of us would be profoundly moved by the Arigna Mining Experience Tour.

Arigna is a coal mine with history from the 17th Century to it's closure in 1990.

http://www.arignaminingexperience.ie/

What a blessing it was to have Peter as our guide!
Peter mined coal, in the Arigna, from 12 years old (I think I have that correct) until the mine closed.
Now he volunteers to keep the history of the mine alive for his community, his countrymen and tourist.
On the crosssection view of the mountain you can see the coal seams were not very thick. Typically less than a meter.

The work environment was both dusty and wet.

The coal existed in narrow seams which just happened to be more or less horizontally level (parallel with sea level).
Can you see the narrow coal seam on the left?
The men and boys would dig the coal out, lying on their side, with pick and shovel.

As their digging advanced they would need to shore up the overbearing rock layers. (Mostly a very hard sandstone.)
Even so the overbearing rock would sag down considerably making for even less space to work or escape!
In the early years this shoring was accomplished with rock. Later, short wood post and wood wedges would speed up the shoring task.

The pick and shovel give scale to the narrowness of the coal seam.

As the Irish would say Peter is a lovely man.
He made a profound impression on us all.
James and Donnie were always inviting locals to our nightly, after dinner music (which was open to anyone anyway).
So, of course, they invited Peter. Little did we know Peter would not only come he would bring his wife Margret.
More about that in a following post.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 07:57PM by greenfire6 » Logged
greenfire6
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2012, 11:42PM »

Our Sunday night, after dinner, music would be provided by Catmelodeon feat. the lads (aka: Men of Worth).

Unfortunately, no pictures. My camera was back in the room on the battery charger with the "prong converter" generously provided by Donnie.  Embarrassed

Catmelodeon is primarily two young musicians out of Sligo town- Rodney Lancashire and Séamus Hernon who's focus is on the Irish Trad. (In the recent past Rodney and Séamus have collaborated in live performance with none other than Cathy Jordan of the well known Irish band Dervish. Cathy is, afterall, nearby Roscommon-born.  Wink. Hurray for rural Ireland!!!  Wink Grin)

(As foretold upthread) Peter and Margret would join us for the concert. Late into these performances James would always invite those in the audience to offer request or to sing a song. Well! Peter spoke up and said his wife was a pretty good singer. Long story short Margret sang "A Mothers Love" acapela. Margret absolutely floored us all with her beautiful interpretation of this wonderful song!  Kiss Wink Smiley

Catmelodeon and the lads decided that topping Margret was impossible. The concert was declared over on this very high point and we all retired to the adjacent Ramada pub!  Cheesy

During this "quality pub time" LOL! Rodney and I talked at length.

Very briefly- with passion Rodney told me of Catmelodeon heart's desire to visit America and share their music live were they expect their music would be received far beyond what they experience in Ireland. I shared with him my amateur methods of "promoting" Órla Fallon. He knew of Órla's music and gave me two Catmelodeon CDs and his Email with the only condition, Please keep in touch.

In time Rodney, Séamus and other musicians, who LOL! just happened to be there, would settle, quite spontaneously, into a late night Trad music session. I'd just as soon died and gone to heaven!  Wink Cheesy

(No bull you non-Irish folks! This is what happens in Ireland all the time!  Cheesy)

Next up. We pack our bags and head north to County Donegal and the tiny village of Rathmullan.  Smiley

http://www.rathmullan.net/
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 11:53PM by greenfire6 » Logged
Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2012, 07:07PM »

I like the pics of the artwork. And I bet Yeats never dreamed of someone like our Orla would be singing about an island he mentioned.  Cheesy

greenfire6
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2012, 10:30PM »

I like the pics of the artwork.

Glad you likey.  Smiley Here's another large piece that caught my eye:  Wink

On display at Belleek Pottery. http://www.belleekpottery.net/

Driving north to Rathmullan, Co. Donegal we would visit, and do lunch, at the famous Belleek Pottery "Works"
in Belleek, Co. Fermanagh, Northern Ireland.

On factory tour we would come to realize that the pieces truely are hand made by genuine craftsmen and their apprentices.

Here are the official Belleek Marks and their era's.

Believe it!

The factory also has a very large and well stocked gift shop.
Diane would pick out a very pretty necklace/earing set.

Belleek Pottery is magnificently set up for visitors and tour groups- including a highly recommended cafe. Just to be different Diane and I decided to walk into tiny Belleek were we found a cozy and friendly little cafe and had a delicious lunch. The ambience was lovely.

Belleek is a "border town". Like most businesses on, or near, the border they were set up to take our Euros but gave us change in the queen's money. Under the circumstances completely understandable.
MaryNorth93
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2012, 04:25AM »

Loving all of it David, keep the pictures and stories coming!  Grin
greenfire6
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2012, 11:57PM »

...keep the pictures and stories coming!  Grin

LOL Mary! I'm peddling the electronic bicycle as fast as I can Grin

So Monday afternoon would start the second half of our vacation to rural Ireland. We depart Belleek, Co. Fermanagh, for Rathmullan, Co. Donegal in a sparkling clean bus. The people at the Belleek Pottery "Works" are brillant! They even provide a valet wash facility for tour bus operators.  Wink While we were fascinated on factory tour and enjoying lunch, Martin, our expert wheelman and total pro, went to washing-up the bus!  Wink

Martin would expertly negotiate several small villages and the beautiful city of Letterkenny on the southern shore of Lough Swilly enroute to our new "home"...

Rathmullan House, Rathmullan, Co. Donegal. http://www.rathmullanhouse.com/
Pictured is the main house.
Additional, attached "wings" (not completely in view) have been constructed to allow increased accommodations and services.

Checking in Diane and I would find this 2nd story room was assigned to us!  Shocked
It is the central bay of the proceeding image.
The thing on the right that looks like a window is, in fact, a mirror.
Many thanks to the lads for arranging what is likely the best room in the house for little ol' us!  Smiley

The late afternoon view, looking east across Lough Swilly, from our room.

A few images of the Rathmullan House grounds:

One of the walking/horse riding paths down to the beach.

I don't know what they look like inside but Rathmullan House also has these cottages.

View from the village across the Lough to the village of Buncrana, Co. Donegal.
Lough Swilly is a long, narrow, salt water "inlet" from the Atlantic Ocean onto the north of Ireland.
Unfortunately the Ferry wasn't running for 2012 yet so we would not have the privilege of visiting Buncrana.

This would be our dinning setting for the next four nights and mornings.  Cool

The service was superb and the food was excellent!  Wink

And this would be the room where we would enjoy our nightly, after dinner music and dance!!!  Cheesy
In this image Donnie is on banjo and James is on guitar  Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 08:20PM by greenfire6 » Logged
greenfire6
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2012, 11:02PM »

Shortly after settling in to our new "home" it was off to the town and beach for Diane and I...

Rathmullan holds an important place in the history if Ireland.

More about The Flight of the Earls in a later post.

Rathmullan is very small and currently sports a total of three pubs.
None of which we had the time to visit during our stay.  Cry

The little store on the right is where I bought the fresh carrots...

...for the horse that Diane wanted to take home.  Cheesy

Later in the evening, the short walk down to the beach from our "home" would include passing through these dunes.

They have these cool bouy stations every hundred meters along the beach.

Looking south along the late evening beach one can see the Rathmullan pier and Ferry landing.
The tracks, high on the beach, that you see in these images
are from the daily workouts of the competition horses that are stabled in the area.
More about that in a later post.

For comparison here is the same view early the following morning.
Notice how the overnight tide has groomed the beach.  Smiley

Walking north from our "home".
Early morning walks on the beach would become our daily ritual.  Wink

Walking north one eventually comes to these rock difficulties.

But with the tide low in the mornings getting through the rocks and onto more beautiful beach is a snap.  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 11:08PM by greenfire6 » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: