Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Irish Surnames with "Ni" in Them?  (Read 24120 times)
Tiffany Gray
Honorary Roadie

I love Celtic Woman and soft sweaters.

« on: August 15, 2011, 08:39PM »

Hey guys.  Hope I'm in the right spot.

I'm writing a story, and one of the main characters is Irish, and I was wondering if you guys could give me a list of last names with "Ni" in them, kinda like Meav's last name.  And tell me what those names mean and how to pronounce them please?  I just want a REALLY beautiful last name for the character.  Thanks guys.  Google is not helping me lol.

MikeyK
Honorary Roadie

Proud Chloëver

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 11:54AM »

I'm no Irish expert, but I read here on the forum that the "Ní" is not part of one's surname, but is used to show a woman who is unmarried or who has chosen to keep her last name after marriage. To use Méav as an example, the Ní would mean "daughter of Mhaolchatha" or "daughter of the Mhaolchatha clan". So it is my understanding that any woman can have "Ní" in front of her last name, just as long as she is unmarried or has kept her original surname. But as you can see, there are many Irish women without it, so I think is it up to the individual if she decides to include it in her name or not.

I think I got that right, but hopefully someone will be able to elaborate more.
Tiffany Gray
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 12:16PM »

I'm no Irish expert, but I read here on the forum that the "Ní" is not part of one's surname, but is used to show a woman who is unmarried or who has chosen to keep her last name after marriage. To use Méav as an example, the Ní would mean "daughter of Mhaolchatha" or "daughter of the Mhaolchatha clan". So it is my understanding that any woman can have "Ní" in front of her last name, just as long as she is unmarried or has kept her original surname. But as you can see, there are many Irish women without it, so I think is it up to the individual if she decides to include it in her name or not.

I think I got that right, but hopefully someone will be able to elaborate more.

Ummmmm thanks.

lifeismusic2009
Total Fanatic

<3

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 12:23PM »

I'm pretty sure Mikey is correct.

Thanks, Dayna, for my awesome banners!
Tiffany Gray
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 12:53PM »

I know but it wasn't exactly what I was asking for.  I just wanted some suggestions.  Smiley

KelticKraze

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 03:31PM »

Lisa Kellys last name is cool.    Ní Cheallaigh

KC
Lugiahua

"Goodnight and joy be to you all" - Parting Glass

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 04:44PM »

so "son of x family/tribe" would be Mac something?
Tiffany Gray
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 06:02PM »

Yeah I love that one!
The character's first name is gonna be Mairead because that's my FAVORITE Irish name.  Smiley

KelticKraze

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 05:11PM »

Yeah I love that one!
The character's first name is gonna be Mairead because that's my FAVORITE Irish name.  Smiley

I have always liked Siobhán and the ever popular Shannon. Smiley

KC
Kevin R.I.
Featured Soloist

my two favorite green eyed ladies

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 06:23AM »

according to what Maggie once told us," son of" is O`...like O`Donnell and Ni is "daughter of"....like Meav `s name or our own Hayley Ni Bleaoleafh here on the forum.

thanks EVI

Hi Kev, I sneeked into your account as you know, wanted to say: love you!!!!

Love, Evi.
hayleynibhaoleafh<3'scelticwoman!
Honorary Roadie

U can have my <3, if U don't mind broken things...

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 07:04PM »

according to what Maggie once told us," son of" is O`...like O`Donnell and Ni is "daughter of"....like Meav `s name or our own Hayley Ni Bleaoleafh here on the forum.

That's right. Cheesy O and Ni are generally very formal as well. Buuut I personally think that if you take names and drop the O or Ni... it sounds slightly eh... odd? Haha maybe odd is not the right word. But I'm also used to the Ni so anything else WOULD sound "odd" to me Tongue

Loooooove Hayley xxx
~~~~~~~Maybe it's not about the happy endings... maybe it's about the story...~~~~~~
Friend are angels ~*~ Cherish them
MikeyK
Honorary Roadie

Proud Chloëver

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 11:14AM »

I know but it wasn't exactly what I was asking for.  I just wanted some suggestions.  Smiley

I was just trying to say that any Irish woman can have the "Ní" in front of her last name, but maybe you were looking for those Irish last names that looked the best with the "Ní" in front if it? Kind of like how "Ní Cheallaigh" looks better than "Ní Kelly"?

While browsing through the list of singers on the Anúna website, other than Méav I found "Mairéad Ní Fhaoláin". Hope that helps.  Smiley
Lugiahua

"Goodnight and joy be to you all" - Parting Glass

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 04:27PM »

wonder what does Fhaoláin means? wolf?
MikeyK
Honorary Roadie

Proud Chloëver

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 02:30PM »

I have no idea what it means. I have enough trouble trying to pronounce it correctly. haha  Cheesy
Betsy

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 07:43PM »

I have no idea what it means. I have enough trouble trying to pronounce it correctly. haha  Cheesy
Yes I think it does mean wolf and I think its pronounced fway-lin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and another spelling is Faolán!!! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: