Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Queen's Visit to Ireland  (Read 28536 times)
Maggie
« on: May 08, 2011, 10:04AM »

Queen Elizabeth II will be getting a taste of Irish Culture during her State Visit starting May 17th.

During her visit she will see the Book of Kells, the Guinness Storehouse, and she will visit the Rock of Cashel,
in my beloved County Tipperary.
Here is the British announcement of the visit:

http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsandDiary/Pressreleases/2011/AnnouncementofprogrammeforIrelandvisit7April2011.aspx

This visit is not without danger.....what is left of the IRA is threatening to disrupt the visit.
The Queen will land at a Military airfield owned by the Irish Department of Defence.
It is named in honour of the Irish nationalist Sir Roger Casement, executed for treason by the British in 1916.

The Irish Government's Department of Foreign Affairs announced the Schedule.
They also said members of the Media wishing to cover the event will be screened and accredited,
and will be taken by bus to the venues. This is obviously to prevent terrorists passing themselves off as reporters.

Outline Media Programme:

Tuesday, 17th May (all events from midday)
Casement Aerodrome, Baldonnel - Arrival  
Áras an Uachtaráin - Ceremonial welcome
Meeting with President and Dr. McAleese
Tree Planting Ceremony      
Garden of Remembrance
Wreath Laying Ceremony

Trinity College - View Book of Kells
Reception in the Long Room

Wednesday, 18th May

a.m.
Guinness Storehouse                                                                                              
“Windows” Tour of Dublin
Government Buildings - Greeted by the Taoiseach, Mr. Enda Kenny T.D.  
p.m. Irish War Memorial Garden, Islandbridge  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_National_War_Memorial_Gardens        
Wreath Laying Ceremony
Croke Park -  Visit to stadium and meeting with Gaelic Athletic Association members
Dublin Castle - State Dinner                                                                                                                  

Thursday, 19th May

a.m. National Stud Kildare  
Visit and meeting with industry representatives
Farmleigh House
Reception with members of Gaisce – The President’s Award (H.R.H. The Duke of Edinburgh only).
p.m.  Dublin Venue (to be announced)
A celebration of H.M. Queen Elizabeth II’s State visit to Ireland hosted by the British Embassy.        

Friday, 20th May
a.m. St. Patrick’s Rock, Cashel
Tour of St. Patrick’s Rock
p.m. English Market, Cork - Meet with traders                    
Tyndall National Institute, Cork - Visit research facility and reception

Cork Airport - Departure

« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 10:09AM by Maggie » Logged
Ben the piper
Bodhrán Player

There can be miracles, when you believe!

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 12:55PM »

Oh that's fantastic! Smiley

Maggie
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 12:27PM »

The part of her visit she will enjoy most will be the time she spends at the National Stud.
The Queen loves horses.
It is a wonderful place.....I always try to make time for it, on my way to or from Tipperary.
Not only are the horses the very best, and so well cared for, but the whole place.....
the landscaping, the horse accommodations, the Japanese Gardens, the café, all make a visit there such a pleasure.
In the museum they have the skeleton of the finest steeplechaser of all time.....ARKLE.
Take a look -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJdQLCEx5Ig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyPjPZqtvHo&feature=related

Irish National Stud Japanese Gardens:

There is a small group of misguided people who are trying to organize protests against the Queen's visit, and to disrupt
 the ceremony at the War Memorial which commemorates the Irish who lost their lives in the First World War 1914-1918.
They have given details of the roads she will travel.

The most controversial part of her visit will be at Croke Park (Páirc na Chrócaigh)
which is the home of traditional Gaelic Games in Dublin.
One end of the Stadium is built on the rubble from the Easter Rising in 1916, and is called "Hill 16".
The main stand is dedicated to the memory of the Tipperary player who was shot dead by the British on Bloody Sunday 1920.
Heavily armed British Forces entered the Stadium just after the start of the Dublin V Tipperary Gaelic Football game,
and opened fire on players and the crowd, killing 14 including a young woman and 2 children.
This was in retaliation for the killing of 13 British Intelligence Officers by Michael Collins' hit squad.
So passions run deep at this site.....and the Queen will definitely know the history.
Hopefully the Queen's visit will help to heal old wounds, not re-open them.

The most likely place she might see signs of opposition is when she visits the English Market in Cork.
Cork is known as "the Rebel County" for good reason.
I hope the majority of peace-loving people in Ireland will give her a tremendous welcome.
Both the UK and Ireland have more to gain by working together, than by fighting old battles.

Brú Ború Heritage Centre at the foot of the Rock of Cashel - a must-see:

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 08:01AM by Maggie » Logged
SusanZ
CWF Global Moderator
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 08:47PM »

I hope that Her Majesty wears nice,comfortable flats for that climb up the hill to the Rock! LOL

The Bru Boru Centre wasn't open when Kelli and I visited there. We were there on a Saturday. I would have loved to have seen it especially since I am currently reading an historical fiction dealing with him and Cashel.

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
The Quiet Man

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 02:25PM »

History is history, and though the facts are the facts there will always be those who are unwilling to let go of past wrongs, real or perceived.  The fact is that in the West we have freedom of speech and the right to assemble, which I think we can all agree no one should be made to give up. If people want to make their opinions known, they will, and there's not a whole lot the government can do about it.  Acting in a disruptive or dangerous manner is another matter, however.  Things have been relatively quiet since the Good Friday Accords.  Objectively it's not in anyone's best interest to fan the ashes of the Troubles back into flame.  I know feelings may still run high among those who lost relatives or friends in that conflict and those that came before, on both sides, but feeling strongly about anything does not create an entitlement to bad or violent behavior.  I'm sure Her Majesty will be well-guarded by both UK and Irish security forces, and I feel no qualms in saying that if someone attempts something stupid, I hope those forces will not hesitate to do what's necessary, even if it means the use of force.               
Maggie
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 02:58AM »

....I know feelings may still run high among those who lost relatives or friends in that conflict and those that came before, on both sides, but feeling strongly about anything does not create an entitlement to bad or violent behavior.  I'm sure Her Majesty will be well-guarded by both UK and Irish security forces, and I feel no qualms in saying that if someone attempts something stupid, I hope those forces will not hesitate to do what's necessary, even if it means the use of force.               

Those making threats are not those who lost relatives in the Troubles, or those who just feel strongly
about the Queen's visit…..they are terrorists.
It is not just bad behaviour they intend, it is mass murder.
They know the Queen will be well-guarded in Ireland, they also know that 95% of the Irish people
will welcome the Queen because she is a guest, and Ireland has moved on.
They may try to cause some disruption in Ireland…..and they say they will bomb London.

During their bombing campaign in England during the 1970s, 80s and 90s, the IRA
left bombs in briefcases, trash cans, boxes, attached under vehicles, anywhere.
The Police knew it was a real threat from the IRA when a codeword was given in a phone call.

After Dave retired from the US Navy in London, he worked in counter-terrorism, which sometimes
involved Royal Protection duty. He got an award and commendation.
Dave and I have seen the bloody results of terrorism. The IRA blew up the Household Cavalry and their horses
with a car bomb as they rode along Hyde Park.
They placed a bomb under a Band Stand in Regent's Park just as a Military Band started to play.
They are the reason the "Ring of Steel" and thousands of surveillance cameras were placed around London.
They bombed 3 Pubs in Birmingham, killing Irishmen along with the British victims.
They exploded a bomb in a Brighton hotel, in an attempt to assassinate Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher
and her cabinet.
The IRA terrorists were trained and armed by Libya, and funded by American supporters and Politicians,
who called these terrorists "freedom fighters". They said the money was going to support the families
of prisoners held illegally in Northern Irish jails…..not true.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article427260.ece

After 9/11 the funds from America dried up. The Peace Process took hold because the good people
Of Ireland were sick and tired of the bombing and intimidation.

And now a new generation who were raised to hate are threatening London once again.
They gave the codeword to the Police that indicates they are serious.
They don't have the support of the Irish people, and I hope the Intelligence community
Will "follow the money" and shut them down.

I hope and pray the Queen's visit will go smoothly, without incident in either Ireland or England.

What a contrast to the Royal Wedding - Buckingham Palace on lockdown:

LATEST NEWS:
Irish police are on high alert after two suspect devices were found
ahead of the Queen's historic visit there today.

CWFan2
Total Fanatic

Love You Always Lisa!!

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 03:43AM »

Once again, thank you Maggie. I was going to get in touch with you about the Queen's visit as I had a few questions about it. But, for the most part, you have already taken care of this for me with your informative posts here. You are a priceless source of information for us. Thank you.

... Bill

Still And Forever ... Our Angel From Heaven
CWFan2
Total Fanatic

Love You Always Lisa!!

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 03:51AM »

Those making threats are not those who lost relatives in the Troubles, or those who just feel strongly
about the Queen's visit…..they are terrorists.
It is not just bad behaviour they intend, it is mass murder.
They know the Queen will be well-guarded in Ireland, they also know that 95% of the Irish people
will welcome the Queen because she is a guest, and Ireland has moved on.
They may try to cause some disruption in Ireland…..and they say they will bomb London.

I hope and pray the Queen's visit will go smoothly, without incident in either Ireland or England.

Amen Maggie.

... Bill

The Quiet Man

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 07:32AM »

Amen and amen, Maggie.  I was being charitable when I said that there may still be those with personal stakes in the Troubles who were still nursing grudges, but others are just haters and terrorists, plain and simple, especially those who've entered the cause since 1998.  You've touched on the high points of this ugly history, but there's any number of other murders, assassinations, and worse that's all on those folks who can't accept that Northern Ireland is still UK national territory by choice. 

They are no different than those who strap on suicide belts because there is one postage stamp of the Middle East that isn't under Muslim rule or who plow planes into buildings out of hate.  They're frankly cowards, planting bombs in places where ordinary people walk and go about their business, since they know gunfights with the police and military will not go well for them and that attempting to bomb police stations or military installations is futile. 

Funny how some Irish Americans chose to have a deliberate blind spot for this kind of terrorism until America got a (not wanted) taste of it.  Let's also not forget that these folks made common cause with not only the Islamic terrorists but with the Soviet bloc when the Cold War was still very much in the balance.  I hope things go quietly as well, but I hope in the event someone attempts something else stupid, that the security services do shut them down, and in the case of those on the scene, I mean a permanent shut-down.
Maggie
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 01:53PM »

Funny how some Irish Americans chose to have a deliberate blind spot for this kind of terrorism until America got a (not wanted) taste of it.  Let's also not forget that these folks made common cause with not only the Islamic terrorists but with the Soviet bloc when the Cold War was still very much in the balance.  I hope things go quietly as well, but I hope in the event someone attempts something else stupid, that the security services do shut them down, and in the case of those on the scene, I mean a permanent shut-down.

I agree.
All Garda leave is cancelled during the visit, and armed units are of course on duty.
British Secret Service are also armed.
I have not asked our family Garda where she will be, I know she can't tell me.

Outside Buckingham Palace this morning - the Irish Guards play "Danny Boy" :
http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2011/0517/media-2960051.html#

Queen in green:

So far so good....no real problems although lots of anti-royal demonstrators making a lot of noise.
They are as you said entitled to their opinions, there is a healthy way and a stupid way to express them.
Your comments about the ""blind spot" before 9/11 when some Irish-Americans were funding such terrorism
reminds me of an incident before that terrible day.

Sinn Féin is the Political arm of the IRA, led by Gerry Adams.
He was a frequent visitor to the USA for fundraising events, usually in New York, Boston, Chicago...cities which have
many citizens descended from Irish immigrants. Ted Kennedy got Adams his Visa, other US politicians gave their support.
On one of his visits, he was making a rare appearance in Orlando at a fundraising lunch.
The cost was something like $250 per person. An American-Irish friend of mine asked me to go with her, I refused.
She tried again....."I hear he's an excellent speaker, come on, I'll pay for your ticket".
She thought the cost was my reason for not going.
I told her "Hitler was also a very persuasive speaker. I would not go across the street to hear Gerry Adams....I don't fund terrorism." She was stunned.
Gerry Adams was a big advocate of the "armed struggle" against Britain but had to change his ways
during the Peace Accord, otherwise his political aspirations would be over.
There are many YouTube clips which show the 2 faces of Gerry Adams, I won't give a link.

What really upset many Irish was the way in which the name of the original Irish Republican Army was hijacked.
The IRA that emerged from the Irish Republican Brotherhood of Michael Collins in 1916 fought the War of Independence.
They had a legitimate cause.....independence and freedom, just like the 13 Colonies under George Washington.
In fact the IRA was the foundation of the present Irish Military.

When the "Troubles" started in Northern Ireland in the mid-1960s the "Provisional IRA" emerged.
While the older IRA in Ulster had embraced non-violent civil agitation and peaceful demonstrations,
the new Provisional IRA was determined to wage "armed struggle" against British rule in Northern Ireland.
In 1997 Members of the Provisional IRA who disagreed with the cease fire and Peace accord then formed
 the "Real" IRA. They were responsible for many terrorist acts, including a 500lb bomb in the middle of Omagh
killing 27 innocent people and wounding many more. A warning was given, but it sent people running towards the bomb.

That atrocity was counter-productive....all Irish people were so horrified that the Peace process gained ground.

There will always be terrorists in the world, though why anyone would want to waste their precious
few years on earth killing others is hard for decent people to understand.

Queen Elizabeth II stood with the President of Ireland at the Garden of Remembrance in Dublin this morning.
This place commemorates those who died fighting for Irish Freedom, and also those who died fighting
 in the British forces in WWI.
The Queen was well aware of the significance as she lay a wreath there. This is reconciliation.

Now can't we all just get along....
and tackle those who want to wipe all of us out, whether Irish, British, Catholic, Protestant,
Coptic, Jewish or atheist?

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 02:03PM by Maggie » Logged
Lugiahua

"Goodnight and joy be to you all" - Parting Glass

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 02:43PM »

a few pictures I saw on MP.net

and this...

my friend told me that poster on the background's quite funny. I haven't get the joke yet... Huh

original posts
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?198290-Today-s-Photos-Tuesday-May-17th-2011
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 04:47PM by Lugiahua » Logged
Maggie
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 03:44PM »

my friend told me that poster on the background's quite funny.
I haven't get the joke yet... Huh

Three of your pictures have been deleted by photobucket.

The joke is....the guy is trying to pull down the barrier, the Gardaí are yelling at him....
the poster on the wall says "GUINNESS FOR STRENGTH" in English and Irish.

The other picture is soldiers on alert as the Queen's plane comes in to land at the Casement Military Airfield.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 04:24PM by Maggie » Logged
Lugiahua

"Goodnight and joy be to you all" - Parting Glass

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 04:46PM »

oh, I noticed the original poser changed the pictures by blocking the faces of the military members...guess it has to do with OPSEC.
CWFan2
Total Fanatic

Love You Always Lisa!!

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 05:10PM »

Queen Elizabeth II stood with the President of Ireland at the Garden of Remembrance in Dublin this morning.
This place commemorates those who died fighting for Irish Freedom, and also those who died fighting
 in the British forces in WWI.
The Queen was well aware of the significance as she lay a wreath there. This is reconciliation.

Right there Maggie ... 'nuff said! I don't think anyone could put it any better. Thank you. Again.  Smiley

... Bill

Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 07:02PM »

We can all breathe a sigh of relief that no major disruptions or incidents happened during the visit.  I think the
Queen's visit was a major symbolic offer of good will which was appreciated by the majority of the people: the first visit by the British Monarch in a century.

Hopefully, President Obama's upcoming visit next week will be likewise peaceful and without incident.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: