Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Off to Ireland.....Part II!  (Read 50378 times)
SusanZ
CWF Global Moderator
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2011, 02:29PM »

Thanks Mike,Bruce,Maggie,and Lisa!

Glad you had fun reading my travelogue....I will gladly return to Ireland if you like so I can write some more! LOL

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
greenfire6
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2011, 09:41PM »

The "installments" were wonderfull but I'm sad they are finished so soon. Kelli and Zee will just have to go back to Ireland real soon and start all over!  Cheesy

Thank you Zee for taking us along!

How about a Forum Fling in the Emerald Isle?

I'm very interested in this concept Maggie!!! Would like pursue further after Diane and I return from All American Week with the 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, USA (16 thru 22 May). Lord willing we will be back home and back at the 'puter Sunday afternoon...
kathleen
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2011, 12:44PM »

Zee and Kelli
Just now getting to read this. How wonderful! I can just see the two of you in Ireland as I was reading your installments!  Would love to go back to Ireland as well

In the words of Scarlet Ohara....Tomorrow''s another day!

hugs
Kathleen

SusanZ
CWF Global Moderator
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2011, 08:39PM »

Zee and Kelli
Just now getting to read this. How wonderful! I can just see the two of you in Ireland as I was reading your installments!  Would love to go back to Ireland as well

hugs
Kathleen

Fiddle-de-dee, Miss Kathleen! Glad you enjoyed the travelogue. I think Sister Maggie is trying to arrange something for Ireland in 2012! Just saying......

Love ya!
Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
Maggie
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2011, 02:40PM »

Zee and Kelli
Just now getting to read this. How wonderful! I can just see the two of you in Ireland as I was reading your installments!  Would love to go back to Ireland as well
hugs   Kathleen

Fiddle-de-dee, Miss Kathleen! Glad you enjoyed the travelogue.
I think Sister Maggie is trying to arrange something for Ireland in 2012! Just saying......
Love ya!  Zee

You bet!
Cheesy

It was Kasey who said he wants to go back to Ireland in 2012 when he returns from the Sand Box.
So I suggested we might get a bunch of us from the Forum, rent a house centrally located so we can take day trips.
(maybe North Tipperary? Just a thought! Grin )
It could be for one week or two, or however many days you want.
Or, alternatively one week in the East (Wicklow, Meath or Wexford)  one week in the West (Galway, Mayo or Kerry)

I envisage around 10 to 14 of us....maybe more.
Depending on the number of people, we will have to book one large house or 3 - 4 small cottages.

Here is one place we could maybe rent some cottages together, not far from Kylemore Abbey, take a look:
http://www.connemara-thatched-cottages.ie/

If you are considering it, please read all the conditions and the rental rates.

At today's rate, one Euro would cost you $1.45.   500 Euro = $725.00.
For those cottages, you can figure around $200 to $300 per person per week including power and basic food etc.
We have to consider transportation and gasoline too....with gas at around $7 to $8 a gallon!

At those cottages, they even have a border collie called June and a cat called O'Malley!
That would be a good base for day trips in the West, to Dingle, or Killarney and the Ring of Kerry.

If you REALLY want to get away from it all, how about Inishbofin Island,  just off the Connemara coast:
http://www.inishbofin.com/Selfcateringcottages.html

If we ever get this thing going, we will have to decide on the date, and  book the accommodation.
Each person will be responsible for booking their own flight to and from Ireland.
I will probably be already there, making sure all is in order. 

One thing I would like to do is teach the basics of céilí dancing to willing participants, and take you to a REAL céilí.
Also to a real music séisún, like the one Kasey went to. He was sworn to secrecy and still doesn't know where he was! Grin
He was with my people, not too far from the sibíní and poitín stills of North Tipperary.
I don't mean the places a Travel Company might take you to, I mean the ones only local people know about.

We will poll everyone on what they want to see and do. Obviously we won't be able to do everything,
but one thing is certain - it will be a fun-packed vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thatched cottages to rent on
the beautiful Connemara coast:
                         June and O'Malley. the Welcome Committee!

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 05:37AM by Maggie » Logged
Antiup

« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2011, 11:58PM »

o/t

Sorry I have been absent for so long.

AUG 2012 is when its going down. lol The whole month of Aug for me. lol

My plan, and I am currently kind of working on it, lol is to rent a 4-6 bedroom cottage for the month of AUG. All are welcomed to crash and hang out. Am thinking My group will be about 4-6 people at all times so OPEN House. We are coming up with adventures but plan on being extremly flexible. You can show up for 1 day or all 30. No biggie to me. We may need another place just in case. lol Was planning to stay Central area but also up for going to different places as well for a home base.

I will start a thread soon for the AUG 2012 trip.

I would move to Ireland if I could. Maybe after retirement.

Cheers to AUG 2012
Maggie
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2011, 02:27AM »

Sorry I have been absent for so long.
AUG 2012 is when its going down. lol The whole month of Aug for me. lol
My plan, and I am currently kind of working on it, lol is to rent a 4-6 bedroom cottage for the month of AUG. All are welcomed to crash and hang out. Am thinking My group will be about 4-6 people at all times so OPEN House. We are coming up with adventures but plan on being extremly flexible. You can show up for 1 day or all 30. No biggie to me. We may need another place just in case. lol Was planning to stay Central area but also up for going to different places as well for a home base.
I will start a thread soon for the AUG 2012 trip.
I would move to Ireland if I could. Maybe after retirement.
Cheers to AUG 2012

HEY KASEY!
How about being there for the US Navy V Notre Dame game in Dublin Sept 1st?
I'm working on tickets.
August is the most expensive and crowded month in Ireland.
Some great horse racing and music festivals in Sept.
And of course we'll go to Jim's.....

Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2011, 10:48AM »

Here is info from OPW that beginning this month on  some of the historics will be free on Wednesday.
http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0706/irishsites.html
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: