Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Edna Kenny vows to end Irish Language if he is in power  (Read 19729 times)
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« on: February 07, 2011, 01:54PM »

Fluent Irish speaker Enda Kenny is to end compulsory teaching of the language if put into power.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20110207/tuk-kenny-vows-to-make-irish-optional-e1cd776.html
SusanZ
CWF Global Moderator
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 02:08PM »

I certainly hope that doesn't happen. I think it would be a sad day in Ireland.

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
Maggie
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 03:34PM »

I certainly hope that doesn't happen. I think it would be a sad day in Ireland.
Zee

The Irish people will not let that happen!

By the way the name in the "Subject" should be changed to Enda, not Edna.

He is the leader of the Fine Gael Party, and he's desperate for votes.
In June 2010 he lost the support of his deputy leader Richard Bruton,
and (quote) "on the following day it was revealed that nine members of
the Fine Gael frontbench did not have confidence in Enda Kenny to lead their party." 

Irish is a compulsory subject for passing the Leaving Certificate. in other words you have to be proficient in Irish
before you can graduate. The purpose of this was to revive the Irish Language after gaining Independence
from the British, who had abolished the Irish Language.
Irish has grown, and is now an official Language of the EU,
meaning that all official documents MUST be translated into Irish.
The Irish did not fight and die for their rights, only to have them taken away by a failing politician.

Poor old Enda is trying to gain favour with the EU and Immigrant Groups.
He is like a naughty child, trying anything to get attention.

Many Irish people would like to see the Irish Language made compulsory for employment,
thereby jobs would go to Irish first, which is the way it should be, in my opinion.
Their reasoning is....if you want to live here that much, you should make the effort to learn our language.
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 04:26PM »

Maggie
 I knew you would respond and that is how copied his name from the from the title. Look at the link unless you being sarcastic of his name Cheesy
I agree with you on the last part: "Many Irish people would like to see the Irish Language made compulsory for employment,
thereby jobs would go to Irish first, which is the way it should be, in my opinion.
Their reasoning is....if you want to live here that much, you should make the effort to learn our language."

I go over to live there if the job ask me too. Or win the lottery Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 04:28PM by Shywolf(Craig) » Logged
Starman
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 05:28PM »

Maggie
 I knew you would respond and that is how copied his name from the from the title. Look at the link unless you being sarcastic of his name Cheesy

He will always be Edna to me!  Tongue

Maggie
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 12:32AM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Now that's not fair to the Edna's of the world! Grin
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 12:52PM »

Good comeback Maggie Cheesy
http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0207/corporatetax.html
celticartzyangel
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 03:41PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Now that's not fair to the Edna's of the world! Grin
Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 09:31PM »

Students oppose Enda's proposal and Maggie is correct.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20110214/tuk-students-oppose-irish-language-plan-e1cd776.html
Maggie
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 04:02AM »

Well...like it or not, Enda (Edna) is now in charge.
The Irish people have spoken.....and Fine Gael won by a landslide.....led by Enda Kenny!  Sad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_general_election,_2011
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 11:48AM »

Why sad Maggie?  The other party was not well by some not doing the "job". Now with Enda you be bummed and you have your reasons. Now proposal to ban cars from driving in major Irish towns or basically take more from them.
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/drivers-facing-car-ban-in-major-towns-under-new-transport-plan-2560153.html
Maggie
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 04:51AM »

Why sad Maggie?  The other party was not well by some not doing the "job". Now with Enda you be bummed and you have your reasons. Now proposal to ban cars from driving in major Irish towns or basically take more from them.

I'm not really sad, I don't vote so I can't complain.

I do care deeply about Ireland though, and I'm disappointed at the way some greedy and self-serving politicians
of all parties have brought the country down in recent years.
I don't care for Enda Kenny, I don't think he will make a good Taoiseach, but I hope he proves me wrong.
I hope he manages to renegotiate the bail-out and gets a better deal for Ireland.

We will have to wait and see.....
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 11:29AM »

I'm not really sad, I don't vote so I can't complain.

I do care deeply about Ireland though, and I'm disappointed at the way some greedy and self-serving politicians
of all parties have brought the country down in recent years.
I don't care for Enda Kenny, I don't think he will make a good Taoiseach, but I hope he proves me wrong.
I hope he manages to renegotiate the bail-out and gets a better deal for Ireland.

We will have to wait and see.....

I agree with you Maggie as it is here to with government. Just he as others want to Ireland to be good economical as here too
Lugiahua

"Goodnight and joy be to you all" - Parting Glass

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 12:25PM »

about Irish and Gaelic language....I always wonder why there is no movement among Irish Americans to promote their native language? (at least I never heard one?)
I know a lot of events promoting Chinese, Japanese, Native American language or Arabic, while most universities in US don't even offer Gaelic language course.

I suddenly have idea into my mind: If I ever go to Grad school, I should MA in Irish language/history... Grin
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 03:10PM by Lugiahua » Logged
hayleynibhaoleafh<3'scelticwoman!
Honorary Roadie

U can have my <3, if U don't mind broken things...

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 11:38AM »

Sad

Loooooove Hayley xxx
~~~~~~~Maybe it's not about the happy endings... maybe it's about the story...~~~~~~
Friend are angels ~*~ Cherish them
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: