Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All-Ireland Hurling Championship  (Read 9483 times)
Maggie
« on: August 08, 2010, 02:59AM »

The four teams who got through to the Semi-Finals are:

Cork and Kilkenny who play today for the honour of playing in the Final on 5th September.
It will be broadcast live on RTE at 10:30am EST

Tipperary and Waterford who play next Sunday 15th August, also to be broadcast at 10:30am EST.

Both of these Semi-Finals and the Final are to be played at Páirc an Chrócaigh (Croke Park) in Dublin.

It's not hard to guess who I'm rooting for!!!  Cheesy

SusanZ
CWF Global Moderator
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 12:22PM »

Uh...would the team begin with a "T" ?  Wink Grin

Go Tipperary!

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
celticartzyangel
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 01:43PM »

Uh...would the team begin with a "T" ?  Wink Grin

Go Tipperary!

Zee

Cheesy
Maggie
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 03:29PM »

Uh...would the team begin with a "T" ?  Wink Grin

Go Tipperary!
Zee

You guessed!  Grin

Cork got their clock cleaned by the Kilkenny Cats.....the score: Kilkenny 3-22 Cork 0-19
That means Kilkenny scored 3 goals plus 22 points, there are 3 points per goal, so the final score was 31 points to 19.
Darren Holden (of the High Kings) will be ecstatic!
I would not be surprised if he sings the National Anthem at the Final.......

Here's the RTE Report: (I hope there will be a similar one for Tipperary next week!)
"Kilkenny cruised into the All-Ireland SHC final with a 12 point win over Cork to keep alive their five-in-a-row dream.
This semi-final was over long before half-time. The Cats controlled the game with a masterful performance,
killing off the Cork challenge with goals from Eddie Brennan and Aidan Fogarty on their way to a 13 points interval lead.
Five minutes later, the Rebels were reeling after conceding a second goal, Aidan Fogarty hitting the net after the Cork defence
had failed to clear James Ryall's long delivery.
Even the loss of injured pair Brian Hogan (shoulder, 17 mins) and Shefflin (knee, 22 mins) failed to halt the Kilkenny charge.
The Cats dug their claws deeper into their wounded opponents, stretching the advantage with a string of points from Power,
Brennan and James 'Cha' Fitzpatrick, who became the ninth Kilkenny man to score.
Cork had fallen 17 points adrift by the time O'Connor gave them their first score of the second half, from a free.
It appeared at that stage as if Kilkenny were content to defend a comfortable lead, but in the 62nd minute they exploded
 in spectacular action once again, for Power to blast home a goal.
Horgan landed another volley of delightful points at the other end, and O'Connor continued to strike accurately from frees,
but the Rebels never threatened to win this one."

Maggie
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 02:29AM »

Tipperary 3-19 Waterford 1-18

So now it's on to the Final against Kilkenny!

Tipperary fans poured out of Croke Park in to bright sunshine on Jones's Road yesterday, basking in the warmth of
a brilliant summer's day,and the glow of winning an All Ireland hurling semi-final against neighbouring Waterford.
Sporting shorts, hats and sunglasses, fans from both counties were dressed as much for the beach
as for a game in the GAA heartland.
Even Waterford supporters had a healthy glow on their faces by the time the game was finished,
despite the result.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 04:01AM by Maggie » Logged
Maggie
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 05:53PM »

The next week is going to be very exciting......not only are we going to Nashville to see Órlagh and Méav,
and meet with old and new Forum friends, but next Sunday is a very big day too......
After attending early Mass, at 10:30am you will find me in an Irish-owned Pub that is showing the All-Ireland Final.
I will be wearing my Tipperary colours of course.
Everyone will stand for Amhrán na bhFiann (the National Anthem), and I will cry because I'm not there. Cry

In Ireland it will be live on TV, but not here in the USA. You will be able to listen to it on the following websites:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/
http://www.tippfm.com/site/
http://www.kclr96fm.com/
http://www.radiokilkenny.ie/

2010 All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Final

Tipperary V Kilkenny

The following is from:  http://www.tipperary.gaa.ie/

Preview by Muiris Walsh

"Hurling lovers everywhere, our wait is nearly over; the All-Ireland Hurling final is but days away.
Tipperary lock horns with their great rivals Kilkenny in the most anticipated final in the 126 year history of the GAA. Kilkenny, the greatest side of our generation, attempt to cement that accolade by completing an historic five in a row.
Standing in their way is a young, hungry, fit and eager Tipperary team. A Tipperary team heck bent on righting the wrongs of that heart-breaking defeat 12 short months ago. Preventing Kilkenny their place in hurling immortality would be a mere casualty of that, you could almost call it collateral damage.
Sentiment has no place in the battle of the gladiator. Sentiment is for me and you.
This is the biggest hurling match in the history of the GAA. Sunday September 5th will become a “where were you?" day. Either Kilkenny will indeed find immortality, or Tipperary will prevent them and cement their own place in the long treasured history of the GAA. Those of you old enough will remember where you were when Seamus Darby scored that famous goal to deny Kerry footballers an historic five in a row.
Next Sunday a mere mortal from Tipperary could propel himself into folklore and song.

So can Tipperary torpedo this juggernaut that is Kilkenny?
It is more than a little obvious to suggest that this Tipperary team is the most capable of beating Kilkenny, but will we? There is little doubt that if it all goes right for Tipperary, it will take a great display from Kilkenny to beat us, something of course that they are more than capable of. Plus we have the heartbreak of last year which I have no intention of dwelling on. There is also the fear that Kilkenny would like to prove that last year’s final was an aberration but as we said after the victory over Waterford, in Rocky 2 it was Apollo Creed who looked for the rematch with Rocky, to prove he was the real champion, and that he would beat the kid up for real this time.
We all know that Rocky won the prize fight.
Tipperary are where we all want them to be. There is only one place to be on All Ireland Final day. All Ireland final day is one of the greatest days on the calendar. Ok, the city of Dublin doesn’t stir the spirit the way Thurles does. Croke Park doesn’t have the atmosphere of a full to capacity Semple Stadium. This is All Ireland Hurling Final Day. It is impossible to define the atmosphere precisely but it is palpable and it is uniquely Irish. It is like walking into the coliseum knowing instinctively that something vital and unbearably dramatic is about to happen, perhaps a matter of life and death.
The late great Waterford hurler John Keane was not a foolish romantic when he said the game was not about winning but about the glory.  John Keane was too fine a hurler to deny there must be sweat and grit and pragmatism in the midst of all the romance. But he knew equally that hurling offers an opportunity to produce something beautiful and that gifted players who do not answer the challenge are betraying themselves and the game. If players of real talent apply themselves with sufficient heart and honesty to playing the game the way God intended it to be played, then they will win plenty along the way. They will not be short of prizes to go along with the glory. If they doubt that, they need only look at Sunday’s opponents. There is great stuff in this Tipperary team.
They are an honest bunch of men. They haven’t been contaminated by the materialism that engulfs so many of those who find prosperity through sport.
To them it is, as John Keane said about the glory, nothing more."

Then while discussing the players, he singles out the local favourite, brilliant young Noel McGrath:

"Then we come to Noel McGrath. Every time I see this young man from Loughmore in action,
I can’t help but hear Judy Garland singing “my eyes have seen the glory of the coming…”
We are all running out of things to say about Noel McGrath. It is unfair to ask players of a previous generation to stand comparison with one of the most gifted players of recent times. It is also very unwise to laud too much praise on the shoulders of one so young. Also, one can only truly judge a player after retirement. But those of us who watch him at close quarters, and are old enough to remember his father at this age, cannot be expected to understate the privilege of watching him."

I love this last paragraph!

"It is wonderful and precious to be from Tipperary. It is to be cherished.
Irrespective of where life takes you, you will forever be a Tipperary man or woman. It is your first place.
I cannot remember my first hurling match, but what I can remember is my first Tipperary match. From that moment on, it became part of me.
Like thousands before me and after me I fell in love with the beautiful game.
So, irrespective of whether you plan to make the long trek to Dublin on Sunday, it’s not too late to get your colours out; get the flags and bunting out,
tell the world you’re a proud Tipperary person.  Who knows next Sunday at around 5.50, you could be from not only the greatest place on earth,
 but also the home of The All-Ireland Senior Hurling Champions. It’s not beyond the bounds of possibility.
Best of luck to Liam Sheedy and all the players."

Tiobraid Arann Abu!!

If you want to know what Hurling is about, there's a lot of info on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmzivRetelE&feature=related

« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 06:13PM by Maggie » Logged
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 10:37PM »

I like to go a Hurley game at Ireland as do my tour thang. Heck just being there make me happy
Maggie
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 11:31PM »

Tiobraid Árann
Tipperary....the Premier County!

Well the big day is here!

My friend Siobhán (from Clonmel Tipperary) called me to ask if I want to go to the Lucky Leprechaun with a few IACS members...of course I said yes!

So after early Mass, I'm off to watch Tipp V Kilkenny starting at 10:30am. I have my shirt ready!

We will get there a little early, we want to sing the National Anthem (in Irish of course!)

I asked Dave if he wants to go......he might go with me.....he knows how crazy Siobhán and I can get,
especially when our Team is playing!!!!

Take a look at Tipperary Rap, and other great songs of our Team,
and learn some of the History behind this great Sport:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsyGTB_vGaE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h50zOmJx-FE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX4chQ6Ug0k

Don't worry Órlagh.....I won't tell John you called out "UP TIPP!" to me from the stage on Thursday night!  Grin Grin Grin

(Órlagh's husband is a Kilkenny Supporter  Shocked )

Watch out, Kilkenny,
for the Lad from Loughmore
Young Noel McGrath, and Eoin Kelly the Brave,
As Tipperary,
the Premier County,
sweep o'er Croke Park like a mighty wave!

(to the tune of Boulavogue)

http://www.premierview.ie/

Me with the Tipp Flag:                                and Siobhán:

« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 02:10AM by Maggie » Logged
Maggie
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 11:51AM »

Tipperary 4-17

Kilkenny       1-18

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin

Mood: Ecstatic!

The problem is I am shedding tears because I am so homesick right now......
I wish I could be in Thurles tonight, and tomorrow when the Tipp Team comes home......

I called our family Garda who is a Tipp girl stationed in Kilkenny......she has to stand a lot of teasing,
and the Garda Station all decked out in Kilkenny colours.
Tomorrow it will have a Tipperary flag flying!!!

« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 12:53PM by Maggie » Logged
Antiup

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 01:42PM »

woooooo! congrats Maggie and to Tipperary!!
Maggie
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 01:53PM »

woooooo! congrats Maggie and to Tipperary!!

Thanks Kasey!

We missed you in Nashville! Cry

I just sent you a message.....please reply ASAP re your vacation travel dates.
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 02:01PM »

Can I be an honorary Tipp girl?  Woo hoo!

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
Maggie
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 03:24PM »

Can I be an honorary Tipp girl?  Woo hoo!

You already are, dear Kelli!

SusanZ
CWF Global Moderator
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 05:26PM »

Hip Hip Hooray for Tipperary!!

Congrats to the players and to one of their biggest fans - Maggie!!  Grin Grin Grin

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
Maggie
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 03:24AM »

Hip Hip Hooray for Tipperary!!
Congrats to the players and to one of their biggest fans - Maggie!!  Grin Grin Grin
Zee

Thank you Sister Zee!  Cheesy
I hope to be in Ireland the next time you guys are there.

Sunday morning I went to Mass in my Tipperary Hurlers Shirt, and during his Homily, Father Ennis winked at me!
I think it was his way of saying "UP TIPP!"
Later I walked into the "Lucky Leprechaun" Irish-owned Pub on International Drive.
It was dark inside and they had a 60-inch screen and 3 x 52-inch screens showing the All-Ireland Final.
I couldn't see until my eyes adjusted, but I heard Siobhán's voice calling to me and I went towards it.
She and Al had saved me a seat. There was one Kilkenny supporter at the bar, and a lady from Kilkenny at our table.....
everyone else was rooting for Tipp.
Then we jumped to our feet and belted out Amhrán na bhFiann (the National Anthem) along with the crowd in Croke Park.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7phMAwCbfY&feature=related

Tipp scored first, then again. Our spirits soared.....then Kilkenny scored, and again.
Tipp were in danger of losing their lead.
At half time, Al and Siobhan were getting discouraged, but I told them to hang in there, we were going to win.
Noel McGrath of Loughmore scored a goal (3 points), then Lar Corbett scored 3 more goals to secure
the Liam McCarthy Trophy for Tipperary, and deny Kilkenny their "five in a row".
Thurles will be one happy town tomorrow when the lads bring the Trophy home......I wish I was there.
It is the birthplace of the GAA, in Hayes Hotel 1884, although Hurling has been played in Ireland
for many hundreds of years, since the early days of the Celts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B37E4jBA2k

Tipperary Heroes:                                              and "man of the match" Lar Corbett of Thurles
Noel McGrath of Loughmore:                               gives credit to a higher Power:

Brothers Padraic and Brendan Maher of Borrisoleigh, look rather pleased with the result:

« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 08:08AM by Maggie » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: