Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harps and Harpists  (Read 6462 times)
Maggie
« on: July 12, 2010, 08:40AM »

The Harp is the symbol of Ireland.
Harps were played all over the World.....carvings of them were found in Ancient Egypt, Babylon and Mesopotamia.
There was a harp carved in the tomb of Pharaoh Ramses III. In those days harps were easily portable, and held in the lap.
They were taken into battle by the Romans and Greeks....and armies throughout the World,
probably because the Harp can both stir the soul and soothe the spirit.
It was said that if not for the Irish Harp, there would have been no music during the Crusades.
In Ireland, early harps were carved from one piece of bog oak, and strung with wire.
It was the only instrument where the strings were parallel to the sound box.
In the early days there were no pedals or levers of course.
In medieval Ireland, harpists were in demand at all gatherings and celebrations.
It was a way to earn a living , even if the musician was blind.....he could wander throughout Ireland,
entertaining at tribal gatherings, weddings and wakes.
Queen Elizabeth I issued a proclamation that Harpists in Ireland were to be hanged and their instruments destroyed,
to prevent insurrection.
The Irish have been known to use music, song and their language to pass on messages of hope, patriotism and rebellion.
For this reason, the National symbol and the Irish language were again banned by the British in the 18th Century.
Despite it's History, the Irish Harp has survived and is growing in popularity.
The YouTube clip below is a wonderful harpist, Sarah Deere-Jones of the Cornwall Harp Centre,
on the beautiful South West coast of England.
The microphone was hidden inside the harp, otherwise there would have been too much wind noise.
Cornwall was a Celtic Nation within England, with it's own culture, customs and language.
I can personally testify it is one of the most beautiful areas of the British Isles, and has the mildest climate due to the Gulf Stream. The coast is rocky and was always treacherous to shipping, especially the Spanish Armada.
Today, the coast is dotted with small sleepy fishing villages, and friendly pubs.
Dave thought he had died and gone to Heaven!
Relax for a minute, and listen to Sarah playing a tune by the blind Irish Harpist Turloch O'Carolan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r-vhnGFWKA&feature=related

The village of Mousehole, Cornwall:

« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 08:45AM by Maggie » Logged
bpea55

Orlagh, So happy for you, Mom to be! WOO HOO!!!

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 02:58PM »

Great post Maggie...reminds me of Rockport Mass...my kind of place..another place to add to my next Ireland agenda!!!!!!
Great Harp playing too... Grin
Hang an Irish Harpist! HOW DARE THEY!!!!!!!!!!!! Angry Angry Angry

Bruce

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 02:59PM by bpea55 » Logged

"While we seek Myrth and Beauty and Music light and gay, there are frail forms waiting at the door.....though their voices are silent, their pleading lips will say,
"Oh, Hard times, come again no more..."
Thanks so much Orlagh!
I will always remember...
celticartzyangel
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 03:34PM »

Thanks for the post!!
I remember doing my research paper on Irish Music and coming across that bit in history and being like: "WHAT THE- HOW DARE THEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"   Angry
The harp playing is beautiful as well!! I've been wanting to learn to play the harp for a while... but seeing how nobody I know can teach me here in Oregon, I'll have to stick to my fiddle  Wink Smiley
Maggie
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 01:31AM »

Great post Maggie...reminds me of Rockport Mass...my kind of place..another place to add to my next Ireland agenda!!!!!!
Great Harp playing too... Grin
Hang an Irish Harpist! HOW DARE THEY!!!!!!!!!!!! Angry Angry Angry
Bruce

The video was shot in SW England, on the coast of Cornwall. Just along the cliffs are the ruins of....Camelot.
Or so it is said.....and having climbed on the ruins, and crossed the rickety wooden bridge, I can believe it!
There is an air of timeless mystery about that place.

Re: "How dare they......?"
Elizabeth I was brutal....she was determined to subdue the rebellious Irish by any means.
The Irish were just as determined not to be crushed underfoot, but they didn't have many weapons with which to fight back.
When Elizabeth wanted to punish one of her Generals, she would send him to Ireland, to deal with those pesky people!                                    

Maggie
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 01:53AM »

The harp playing is beautiful as well!! I've been wanting to learn to play the harp for a while...
but seeing how nobody I know can teach me here in Oregon, I'll have to stick to my fiddle  Wink Smiley

See if any of these are in your area:

HARP TEACHERS IN OREGON

Karen Almquist
895 Woodland Dr
Silverton, Oregon
(503)873-3175
Email: karenalmquist@verizon.net

Janna Bisceglia
Portland, Oregon
503-653-3862
Web site: www.whisperingroses.net
Janna Bisceglia - Celtic harp and beginning pedal harp  Theory and composition are integrated into lessons.
Janna helps students explore the full potential of their harp with classical, celtic, ethnic and contemporary music.
Her studio is located close to Portland in Milwaukie, Oregon.
(503)653-3862 jannarae@whisperingroses.net
www.whisperingroses.net

Sally Burger
Prineville Music Studio - Instruction in Piano and Celtic Harp
1006 E. 1st
Prineville, Oregon
541-447-7085

Margie Butler
, Oregon
(209) 572-1715, (503) 843-2152
Email: Margie@goldenboughmusic.com
Web site: www.goldenboughmusic.com

Bethany Evans
534 Judson St SE
Salem, Oregon
(503) 399-7374
Email: harphymns@hotmail.com

AnnaLee Foster
Portland Metro Area, Oregon
(503) 686-8779
Email: info@heritageharpcenter.com
Web site: www.heritageharpcenter.com

Rebecca Hilary Smith
Lever and Pedal Harp
Central Oregon Area, including Sisters, Bend, Redmond, Oregon
(541) 549-1229
Email: harpsisters@gmail.com

zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 08:23AM »

Elizabeth I was brutal....she was determined to subdue the rebellious Irish by any means.
The Irish were just as determined not to be crushed underfoot, but they didn't have many weapons with which to fight back.
When Elizabeth wanted to punish one of her Generals, she would send him to Ireland, to deal with those pesky people!   

She lost. The Irish are still around and their music is strong. The English conquered and have now lost most of tehir possessions, but the Irish are EVERYWHERE.  Grin

With people like Orlagh and Siobahn being well known, Elizabeth is probably rolling over in her grave.

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
celticartzyangel
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 12:27PM »

The harp playing is beautiful as well!! I've been wanting to learn to play the harp for a while...
but seeing how nobody I know can teach me here in Oregon, I'll have to stick to my fiddle  Wink Smiley

See if any of these are in your area:

HARP TEACHERS IN OREGON

Karen Almquist
895 Woodland Dr
Silverton, Oregon
(503)873-3175
Email: karenalmquist@verizon.net

Janna Bisceglia
Portland, Oregon
503-653-3862
Web site: www.whisperingroses.net
Janna Bisceglia - Celtic harp and beginning pedal harp  Theory and composition are integrated into lessons.
Janna helps students explore the full potential of their harp with classical, celtic, ethnic and contemporary music.
Her studio is located close to Portland in Milwaukie, Oregon.
(503)653-3862 jannarae@whisperingroses.net
www.whisperingroses.net

Sally Burger
Prineville Music Studio - Instruction in Piano and Celtic Harp
1006 E. 1st
Prineville, Oregon
541-447-7085

Margie Butler
, Oregon
(209) 572-1715, (503) 843-2152
Email: Margie@goldenboughmusic.com
Web site: www.goldenboughmusic.com

Bethany Evans
534 Judson St SE
Salem, Oregon
(503) 399-7374
Email: harphymns@hotmail.com

AnnaLee Foster
Portland Metro Area, Oregon
(503) 686-8779
Email: info@heritageharpcenter.com
Web site: www.heritageharpcenter.com

Rebecca Hilary Smith
Lever and Pedal Harp
Central Oregon Area, including Sisters, Bend, Redmond, Oregon
(541) 549-1229
Email: harpsisters@gmail.com

AAAAAH!!! Maggie! I LOVE you!!!! you are now my hero! lol! several of those are RIGHT in my area! thankyou SO MUCH!!!!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 12:39AM »

Great post, Maggie!

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
SusanZ
CWF Global Moderator
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 01:09PM »

I have visited Mousehole!! If I remember, my friend Deb and I had a lovely afternoon tea there.  Very quaint.

Cornwall is beautiful . I stayed at a lovely B & B there with a trout stream running by - you could hear it outside our window. I remember taking a walk along some of the cliffs - simply breathtaking.

Now, as for "Liz" - if she would have touched a hair on Orla's head, she would have to get past me first!! LOL

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
Sorgi

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 09:39PM »

I have visited Mousehole!! If I remember, my friend Deb and I had a lovely afternoon tea there.  Very quaint.

Cornwall is beautiful . I stayed at a lovely B & B there with a trout stream running by - you could hear it outside our window. I remember taking a walk along some of the cliffs - simply breathtaking.

Now, as for "Liz" - if she would have touched a hair on Orla's head, she would have to get past me first!! LOL

Zee

There's a slice of Cornwall about 40 or 50 miles north of me.  The city of Grass Valley was primarily settled by Cornish miners who came over to work the Empire Mine.  A lot of the area still has a heavy influence from food to events; I'd never heard of Saint Piran until I spent some time at Grass Valley. 
  A little slice isn't the same as being there, but it's a taste of something that is worth taking a trip to see.

-Dan

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: