Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Five Months in Ireland  (Read 67909 times)
Maggie
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 01:20PM »

I enjoyed your blogs.

It's very interesting to read what the subjects of your studies will be.
By the way, according to the old saying, it's not "England" upon which the sun never sets, it was the British Empire.
This is because the British colonized Countries to which they sailed, all around the Globe, in every time-zone.
They especially coveted Oriental Countries for their spices, silks and minerals.
The British traded with these Countries from the early 17th Century, and established enterprises such as
the East India Trading Company.
By the time of Queen Victoria, Britain controlled most of India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Burma.
Also parts of Africa and the Middle East, Australia and the West Indies.
The French, Dutch and Belgians also carved out Colonies for themselves.
The British considered North America part of their Empire of course, until 1776.
The Republic of Ireland did not become fully independent until 1937.
You can only oppress the people of a Nation for so long, before they rise up to take control of their own destiny.
This is what happened to the British Empire, and all other Empires throughout History.

You have no doubt heard the Irish asking the riddle "You know why the sun never set on the British Empire?"

By the way.....did you ask Aoife where she is from in Tipp?

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 01:27PM by Maggie » Logged
Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 01:26PM »

I like reading it too.   But you are there!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 12:48PM by Shywolf(Craig) » Logged
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 01:32PM »

You know why the sun never set on the British Empire?"

A Canadian friend who was in training for Heavy Bombers during the battle of Britain heard the answer from a British Pilot.

The answer is. "The Good Lord didn't trust the B......."  Grin

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
CurlyandGreen

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 02:26PM »

You have no doubt heard the Irish asking the riddle "You know why the sun never set on the British Empire?"

I have, and I have written several essays on the topic!  But there's an answer?  I know it's because the British Empire at one point spanned the entire globe, but I want the riddle answer!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 02:28PM by CurlyandGreen » Logged

"You must do the things you think you cannot do."
         -Eleanor Roosevelt

We Hail Thee, Carolina
Jack

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 08:25AM »

An orange building??  The horror!!  There aren't any paw prints on the walls, are there?  Maybe they will let you hang a small garnet and black amulet of some sort over the door to ward off the evil spirits!  Sorry, C, K----just funnin'.

Seriously, I am enjoying your reports and the blog.  Question:  Are all your courses selective or are there specific requirements set by the program?

I think Jim has the answer to the riddle.   Cheesy

Jack
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 08:37AM by jhadwin » Logged
kathleen
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 01:44PM »

I love your blog. Makes me ready for an adventure. And anyone who know me.....knows....I love adventures!

Enjoy, learn lots, make great new friends. Remember.....this .....what a priviledge this is. You are very special to be able to study abroad. Embrace it and cherish it!  I am sure you will!

okay....now where is my suitcase. Lets go Maggie!

Start drinking that Irish Tea.....it will warm you up!

Maggie
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 02:01PM »

I think Jim has the answer to the riddle.   Cheesy
Jack

The rest of it is:

".....the Brits in the dark."

Hey Sarah, not to make you homesick or anything, but isn't this your section?

Quote from your blog:

"My two Irish studies classes are Traditional Irish Music and Dance and Irish Folklore.
In the music and dance module, we’ll learn about different styles of both music and dance and the evolution of the two.
 For the tutorial, or practice sessions of this module, everyone had to choose song, dance, or an instrument to learn."

As you already have a start in music with the marching band, maybe you could give your talents a boost by contacting
the Shannon Division of Comhaltas, right there at the University:

*  Majella Bartley
    * Director, Ceoltoiri na Sionainne
    * The Irish World Academy of Music and Dance
    * University of Limerick
    * Limerick
    *(086) 8946360
    * Visit Website:    http://www.ceoltoirina.com/
(tell them the website needs updating)

email:  majella.bartley@ul.ie

Quote from the website, sounds perfect!
"...The group provides an outlet for young musicians involved in Comhaltas to perform and show their talents.
Through interaction with professional musicians and arrangers, everyone involved has the opportunity
to gain a wealth of experience and knowledge invaluable to any musician."

I happen to know a young lady who got her MA in Traditional Irish Music Performance at the U of L.

If you meet any tutors who were there in 2001, they might remember Theresa Bourke.
She now owns and runs this wonderful place:

http://www.fiddlersretreat.com/

Theresa is on the left:

Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2010, 04:32PM »

Love your blog, Sarah!  What a great idea to let a lot of folks keep up with your adventures...

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
Maggie
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 04:27AM »

okay....now where is my suitcase. Lets go Maggie!

I'm packed and ready, Sister Kathleen! Cheesy
D'ya think we can persuade 2 more to go with us? Shall we take our husbands?

Round Trip for 4 people on Aer Lingus is $1,498:

http://www.aerlingus.com/cgi-bin/obel01im1/Services/usa1.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0960032683.1264930776@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccckadejhmffelkcefecfigdffgdfki.0&P_OID=0&Category=3

Sarah - don't forget to contact Majella :

http://comhaltas.ie/locations/detail/ceoltoiri_na_sionainne/

....and you absolutely MUST visit the Harp Centre in Castleconnell
http://comhaltas.ie/locations/detail/cce_craobh_na_cruite/

....where you will meet this lady:
http://www.irishharpcentre.com/

Here she is performing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj28dVynDVk

it's near this traditional Pub I told you about in another post.
So many places to go, and only five months! Cheesy

A little poem:
There's a Pub in Castleconnell, close to Limerick,
where the craic and the music are terrific.
Sing, dance, play, let down your hair,
Maggie has danced a jig or two in there!

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 05:35AM by Maggie » Logged
CurlyandGreen

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 01:27PM »

Maggie, that is my section.  Try and find me. Here's a hint-I'm wearing a red jacket and a funny hat (we're not wearing our plumes at the game in the picture because last we marched through UGA's campus, a few idiots broke ranks like idiots and the tall feathers are easy targets.)

Anyway, I just got home from Connemara/Galway/Clare/The Burren and I need to unpack and upload pictures.  I'll try to have my blog update ssometimes this week!

By the way, I LOVE the Cliffs of Moher!  I cringe of the thought of what my mother would do if she found out I stood six inches away from a 700-foot drop into the ocean!

-Eleanor Roosevelt

We Hail Thee, Carolina
CurlyandGreen

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010, 03:39AM »

Sort-of a double post, but I wanted to give y'all a teaser for my next blog entry on my trip to the Cliffs of Moher, The Burren, Galway, and Connemara!

(By the way, I think Mondays are way worse when it is cold!)

-Eleanor Roosevelt

We Hail Thee, Carolina
yellow rose

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2010, 07:46AM »

i look forward to hearing/ seeing more about how you are doing (adjusting) and about where you are Smiley makes me wonder about doing  study abroad hummmm? Please send picture when ever you get the time since you are (there for studies  Wink

We now have two members of the Forum who are studying in Ireland, so it is possible.

However, it takes more than just the desire to study and spend some time in Ireland.

You can make it if you have:
A working brain to get through the studies.
It won't be easy, but it will be interesting. It will also look good on your resumé.

Lots of determination and strength of character.
You will be a foreigner in a strange land, and you will get homesick.

Money.
You have to be able to support yourself in an expensive country, where 1 US Dollar will cost you 1.40 Euro at today's rate.

thank you for the reality check. I have had the pleasure of going to Paris, France but only for 8 days. However that was an experience i will never forget culturally and scenery.I did get homesick once while we were in Disney Land. Money would be my down fall since i live with a single parent. I will try my hardest to keep saving. Not quite sure about my "determination and strength of character" yet. i am right now in my second semester of freshman year at our local junior college. BIG life change, i guess for the better not a public high school at all!!
wish all we
YR

Shywolf(Craig)
Total Fanatic

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2010, 02:59PM »

Thanks C&G for the pics and you will have a lot more to post and take. I am always ready to go back. Oh no money yet Angry
Maggie
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 04:24PM »

Sarah, I love the photos!
Especially the one of you on the cliffs.....good sky and rocks....you look like a giant....
...or maybe the spirit of Gráinne Ní Mháille, the Pirate Queen!

I like the angle on the Church pic, and the rock.

More, please!  Cheesy

I'm assuming somebody drove you to Galway.
The N67 is the road that goes up the coast of Clare towards Galway.
It's the road you take to the cliffs of Moher. A few miles North of the cliffs is a little place called Doolin.
It is one of the best places to hear traditional music.
Westport in County Mayo is another, due mostly to this famous and fantastic pub, owned by the one and only Matt Molloy:
http://www.mattmolloy.com/pub_about.html

For anyone reading this, here is a map of Galway, you can zoom out and move it to anywhere in Ireland:

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=firefox-a&rls=com.google:en-US:official&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&q=Map+Galway&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Galway,+Co.+Galway,+Ireland&gl=us&ei=oQ9nS72rCIG0tgf6lt25Bg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CAkQ8gEwAA
CurlyandGreen

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 05:56PM »

Since you said please! (BTW, that picture was on the coast at the edge of the Burren.)  The Burren, for those of you who are unfamiliar, is one Ireland's six national parks.  LOTS of limestone!

From a giant to a spec!

And Maggie, I LOVE the history of Gráinne !  I've read Anne Chamber's book twice.  Even if every detail in the history wasn't completely true, enough is true to make her a strong and admirable woman not only in Irish history but in the history of the world.  How many other female captains do you know of?!

I also FINALLY had my first pub experience in Galway.  It was crowded and noisy and I LOVED it!  Something very funny happened.  I was sitting around a table with my friends.  The door to the place opens and the Garda walks in and the first thought that runs through my mind is "Four letter word I'm gonna get busted!"   And then I remembered where I was.  I started laughing and my pal Dana asked if I was thinking what she was thinking.  This brought laughs, a few cheers, and a nice sip of Bulmers!

Here is the evidence:

Yum...I kinda want one right now, but it is WAY to cold to go outside.  Besides, I'm already in my PJ's.

One more thing-I never realized that there are PALM TREES in Ireland!  I find it very comforting like a little slice of home!

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 06:12PM by CurlyandGreen » Logged

-Eleanor Roosevelt

We Hail Thee, Carolina
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: