Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: *sadface*  (Read 7119 times)
Kyradriel

« on: January 09, 2010, 07:23PM »

I don't know if any of you remember, but a few months ago, maybe 4 or 5, my computer up and died on me. I was able to get this computer guy in town to get it up and running again and everything was fine. Yesterday however, I log on to find that I can't do a single thing. It's slow and won't let me access anything at all. So I unhooked everything and took it over to the shop again only to find out that Ron (the computer guy) isn't there. A teenage guy was there working on the computers. I asked him where Ron was. He looked really upset and said Ron was IN THE HOSPITAL with liver failure. LIVER FAILURE. They think he'll be alright long enough to wait for the transplant list, but oh. my. gosh. I just about died myself right there. I mean, I'm totally torn! I feel really awful that he's so sick and for not being able to do anything for him. He's been really great to me, knowing how I don't have much money, and he fixes my computer anyway. His illness aside though, my computer won't be back until Tuesday. And that's if this kid can fix it at all. Ron is a wizard with computers - he can fix anything. But this kid, I don't know. I don't know if I'll ever get my computer back and working. And the worst thing? I don't have any money for CDs so ALL OF MY CW MUSIC IS ON THERE. I'm going to go into the deepest depression ever if it's lost forever. The only CD I have that's not on the computer only is Lynn's and I'm clinging to it like crazy. But my computer is my life - I'm a graphic designer and photographer for God's sake...I don't know what I'm going to do if I don't get my computer back in working order. Never mind how I'm going to pay for the repairs. If worrying about my computer alone weren't bad enough, I feel bad for worrying about it at all when Ron's life is hanging in the balance. If ever there were a time I needed the girls, now is sure that time. Lynn's CD is the only reason I'm not going completely insane right now. *falls forward on desk and bawls*

So...how's everyone else doing? Ha...ahahaha...*die*

gcerny12

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 09:06AM »

Sorry to here about your computer guy. All we can do is hope and pray for the best.

About your computer woes, sounds like you got some serious spyware/badware, bugs that is. Several things could be happening. Main thing is a good clean up. If he suggests a complete dump and reload of your system you need to save everything to cd's/dvd's or better yet, if you can swing it, an external hard drive. Then let him do his thing, but not until things are saved. What he can do if he's sharp enough is take your hard drive out of your machine and hook it up to one of his test machines and scan for bugs and such that way and also save all your stuf. If there is a lot it's best to go with an external drive. I say all this because I do this kinda stuff for a living. I work at a computer shop and the problems you are having are very common. But the key thing here is you need to save your stuff about once a week at least to avoid major data loss in situations like this.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 09:13AM by gcerny12 » Logged

My alter-ego when not listening to or watching CW. 
By Joe Palomine
shankdee
Honorary Roadie

"We were all talking about you" said Lisa Kelly

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 09:53AM »

Wink Sorry to hear about those computer problems...mine is slow, but it did pick up a lot of virus and I got rid of all of them when i downloaded a FREE virus scanner and left it on all night long...it said next AM there were 52 infected files..and that it got rid of them...I hope so...it has a man's voice on it announcing "virus data base has been updated"and once it named
a virus or worm that tried to enter.. so sorry to hear about the computer guy...my technician passed away June 3...with liver failure...he was on his way to get a transplant...but had to go to STANFORD med center as soon as the plane landed from Japan```instead of Texas where he and his wife and daughter were headed...he lived 3 weeks....He workd with me for 2 years and all his work is still evident in the library, and now I have NO one...whoever heard of a library being run by ONE person? It is so much work, I cannot even fathom it...and each day, I do what I can...I have these little children faithfullly helping schelp books, and emboss books with that annoying embossing tool...and doing many general tasks.. so I have a little bit of a sad face myself...I hope you get it fixed and that your friend DOES get a transplant...

shankdee

Thanks For my Beautiful Deirdre Banner...GodsHorseGirl* * *
Kyradriel

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 05:01PM »

Update: Got my computer back a couple days ago. It's fine. And Ron is out of the hospital while he waits for his transplant - he just has to stay away from salt. So hopefully everything will keep going good on both ends. I'm just thankful I still have all my music files.

shankdee
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 03:53AM »

Cheesy  Good News, and I am getting ready to buy a NEW LAPTOP  any suggestions...I was told my ToSHIBA satellite is "old"

gcerny12

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 10:01AM »

If you like the Toshiba brand then by all means by another Toshiba. They are about as good as the rest of them. Actually we don't work on too many Toshibas versus HP, DELL, and all the rest. Unless you want a real monster of a laptop(Alienware) then I would stick with what you feel comfortable. Personnally I would, and have owned, buy an ACER laptop. Acer is the number 3 ranked(worldwide) manufacturer of computers. Good product.

My alter-ego when not listening to or watching CW. 
By Joe Palomine
shankdee
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 12:40AM »

Cheesy OK, I will look and see what they have...and all...Thanks.. C S

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: