Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'rasslin' in Ireland  (Read 5535 times)
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« on: December 30, 2009, 11:08AM »

This is about the studio / scripted type of entertainment, NOT the real sport Olympic type wrestling.

The WWE's (World Wrestling Entertainment) Monday Night RAW has a 'rassler by the name of Sheamus, aka Sheamus O'Shaunessy and "the Celtic Warrior". They say he is the first Irish WWE champ. Of course the character names and nationalities are not necessarily true. For example, Chief Jay Strongbow was not native-american, he was italian-american. Nickoli Volkov wasnt russian, he was really canadian. Another wrestling character, Hornswoggle, isnt from Dublin as they say. Real name is Dylan Postl, and he is from Oshkosh, Wisc

But from my internet research, Sheamus really is Irish, from Dublin, real name Stephan Farrelly. He lives in Florida now, so maybe one of you Floridians know him!  Cheesy  But he spent some of his early days in IWW (Irish Whip Wrestling). Seems thats a popular show over across the pond. But thats one thing I hope to learn from this post. Is this type of entertainment popular over in Ireland?

The WWE also has another Irish wrestler, Finley, (Dave Finley from Belfast) He often uses his Shillelagh to whack opponents. He supposedly was very successful over in Ireland. But he really doesnt have the charisma the wrestlers over here have. He doesnt do the trash talking well. Plus he is 51, and most of those wrestlers are a lot younger. Even though its scripted, its not "fake" as some call it, because those guys still need strength, endurance, and athleticism to do the stunts.

But, if anyone has insights on 'rasslin' in Ireland, let me know. And watch WWE and cheer for Sheamus, even though his character right now is a heel (bad guy)!

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 01:36PM »

Even though its scripted, its not "fake" as some call it, because those guys still need strength, endurance, and athleticism to do the stunts.

After my son got out of the Corps, he became a professional wrestler on the Arizona Circuit under the name of the Crock. You are so right that the wrestlers have to be in tip top shape because one guy (or gal) not hitting their marks can leave some seriouss injuries or even death.

he doesn't wrestle any more and his managing day are done due to having a wife and 5 kids plus a full time teaching job.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Maggie
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 02:11PM »

(Dave Finley from Belfast) He often uses his Shillelagh to whack opponents. He supposedly was very successful over in Ireland. But he really doesnt have the charisma the wrestlers over here have. He doesnt do the trash talking well. Plus he is 51, and most of those wrestlers are a lot younger. Even though its scripted, its not "fake" as some call it, because those guys still need strength, endurance, and athleticism to do the stunts.
But, if anyone has insights on 'rasslin' in Ireland, let me know.

Irishmen don't usually do trash talk......they prefer to let their strength and skills do the talking.
Wrestling is quite popular in Northern Ireland and England, not popular in the Republic.
Dave Finlay is from Northern Ireland, so he is a Brit, that's why he can go for the British titles.
Here is the info on him:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Finlay

My Dad used to watch wrestling on TV, but I am not a fan, it all looked so fake to me.
I agree they still have to have strength and skill though.

This is about my great-uncle, quote from www.cyberboxingzone.com:

Ryan was a boxer-wrestler who possessed bull-strength; He was a better wrestler than a boxer;
He was not brought along properly to improve his boxing skills before taking on the better men of his day;
Had he been taught correctly, he might have been much better.
During his career, Ryan won the Heavyweight Championship of America;
He was inducted into the Ring Boxing Hall of Fame in 1973.

BORN        March 14 1851; Thurles, Tipperary, Ireland
DIED       December 14 1900; Green Island, New York (near Troy, NY)
HEIGHT    5-11 (Reports vary between 5-11 and 6-1 1/2)
WEIGHT    195-220 lbs

Paddy Ryan, Heavyweight Champion:

His nephew, my Dad:   Then there's me - any resemblance? Cheesy

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 02:20PM by Maggie » Logged
JRRacing64
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 04:00PM »

It was good to see that the WWE is pushing more younger and divers stars. I think Sheamus is a lot better then say Finley, a lot less gimmicky and stereotypical which is way to common in pro wrestling these days.

Even though its scripted, its not "fake" as some call it, because those guys still need strength, endurance, and athleticism to do the stunts.

Some may argue that it is fake and they are right to some degree as the winners and looser are predetermine. But what they put on in the ring is still up to the wrestlers to create. Think of it more as improv. But puches do get thrown and the pain is real. It's a lot more then what common perception is.

And watch WWE and cheer for Sheamus, even though his character right now is a heel (bad guy)!

Not that weird these days. Most fans boo John Cena even thought he's a face.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 05:14PM by JRRacing64 » Logged
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 11:11AM »

And watch WWE and cheer for Sheamus, even though his character right now is a heel (bad guy)!
Not that weird these days. Most fans boo John Cena even thought he's a face.
Funny you mention Cena. He and Sheamus are rivals right now. In fact, on Monday night, I think they have a BIG match. But Monday will be overshadowed by the return of Bret Hart.

But both Sheamus and Cena have that 'rassling charisma. Its a good storyline having them rivals. And I think we will see a LOT of Sheamus in coming years. I see him eventually being rivals with Batista and the Undertaker. In fact, if they dont have a Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker match at Wrestlemania, Undertaker vs Sheamus would be perfect.

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: