Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your height  (Read 56267 times)
Meow

« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2009, 09:43AM »

How much fluid can really build up in those tissues? I can see the logic where maybe a little height can be gained because of this, but I would think it minimal and that it would quickly get pressured out once one stands up.

That's correct - it's not a whole lot.  Most people have an average height change of about 17 to 18 mm (about .66 to about .7 inches).

Wouldnt you need to take your height seconds after standing up to see any additional height?

No - it takes about 3 hours before you've lost most of your "additional" height for the day (less time for those of higher body weights).

Also, if its gravity related, then once you stand up, more fluid should go to your feet. So wouldnt you gain some height from that? It seems that would counter some of the effect of spine compression / horizontal effect.

The fluid doesn't go to the feet.  Fluid that is squeezed out of the disks due to pressure becomes part of the extracellular fluid.  This is simply fluid outside of the cells (i.e. interstitial fluid and plasma).  The spacing of fluids is such that fluid is held within its compartment.  If this were not the case, then yes, the fluid would go to the feet... along with all of the body's fluid.  (Swelling of feet is usually a result of spending lots of time on them - walking, standing, etc. which causes increased blood flow to the feet, leading to increased permeability of blood vessels in the feet, and therefore, increased "deposits" of fluid.  Also, when feet swell, it's usually on the top and sides - wouldn't contribute to height).  The fluid becoming part of the pre-existing extracellular fluid may contribute to a slight (very slight, actually) increase in "width" but not height.  Any fluid that makes it into the blood stream to become part of the plasma would likely be filtered and removed by the kidneys.

It assumes that you sleep on your back, so the spine would be the lowest area to gravity. What if you wake up after sleeping on your belly? Wouldnt gravity pull the fluid out of the spine tissue and send it down to the front areas?

It doesn't have anything to do with what position you sleep in, as long as the back is not vertical.  When standing or sitting, the spine becomes a curvy column of sorts.  Disks are situated between the vertebrae, so the spine is a stack of vertebrae and disks.  Gravity causes the vertebrae to put pressure on the disks, resulting in the fluid being "squeezed out."  When lying on the back, stomach, or either side, gravity does not force the weight of the vertebrae onto the disks, but rather onto the soft tissues that lie around the spine (usually fascia and muscle).

Hope this helps.  And I hope we're not off-topic here!!

Thanks Evita (Lisaniac #1) for both banners!!
lisalover7 (LL7)
Bodhrán Player

"I begged and I begged and I begged and I begged"

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2009, 02:50PM »

Nope it's about height gained and lost Cheesy

Let Me Tell You That I Love You...
Où est le lait de soja?
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2009, 08:37PM »

Some days I'm 5'7 1/4 and some days I'm closer to 5'8''...depends on what my body feels like being I guess...

~Mel.

zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2009, 09:28PM »

and whther or not you spent time on the rack? or one of those hanging stretchers?

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Meow

« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2009, 09:33PM »

and whther or not you spent time on the rack? or one of those hanging stretchers?

Riiiiiiiiiight!   Cheesy

Thanks Evita (Lisaniac #1) for both banners!!
Gail

« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2009, 10:24PM »

You're right - Mairead is a "doll". During the first concert PBS showed of CW, the first close-up I saw of Mairead, it was "oh my gosh, she's a beauty !!"

shankdee
Honorary Roadie

"We were all talking about you" said Lisa Kelly

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2009, 12:21AM »

Cheesy I think I read when Michael Jordan hung on those gym bar racks every day because he wanted to be taller, has anyone else heard this.?  Also one of our teacher's sons was less than 5 ft tall maybe an inch...but when he went away to college
he gained at least 4 inches...so I guess that was between ages 17-21....So i guess some people gain their full height at different ages..

shankdee

Thanks For my Beautiful Deirdre Banner...GodsHorseGirl* * *
oregongirl29
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2012, 02:01AM »

I am 5'3" I did all my growing early in life. I was always a tall child but I stopped growing in Junior high. Must have been all that coffee.  Undecided
lynnhillaryfan
Total Fanatic

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2012, 08:23AM »

I'm 4' 11", and done growing. I feel tall beside our neighbor though, she is 4'9" and her husband is 6'2"!

Emer Dreamer
Featured Soloist

I Am An Emer Dreamer

« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2012, 06:05PM »

I'm  a rather unimpressive 5'9" but I work with a lot of Latin American and Asian people who are a little on the short side so it makes me feel taller by comparison.  Grin

mlisakellyfanm

I am a Lisa K and Scott Porter fan!

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2012, 06:59PM »

I'm the same height as Mairead.

Thank you Hayley for the banner!
barb kantartzis
Total Fanatic

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2012, 02:54PM »

Yup I am about 5'1 and a 1/2 after working - 5/2 i am not working after a 12 hours lax period! (Lifting very heavy residents will do that to your back and height!)but, If I didn't have turners I would be 5'7 and if I would have started treament when I was younger i would have been about 5'4! But,even though when my doctor told me this when I was older (16) so it wouldn't bother me, it kinda hit a hard spot in my heart about what could have been! But, i am very happy how god made me/wanted me to be! And I am healthy and have a ton of friends and pretty much get into everything!! And yes, I even learned how to get into high spaces on my own by pointe (standing on the very ends of your toes), despite being slightly vertically challenged, I love being able to blend right in ( exept in rare cases!)! Yes clothes are a pain to find but now that I lost a ton of weight its easier! And actually I found out a few of my fav. westend actresses are my height (broadway actresses are very tall for some reason?!)!  and of course mairead and actually sarah burke and catherine neylan! Catherine is slightly taller but sarah was standing next to us during mo ghile mear, she had heals on and I had flats and she was a 1/2 inch at that taller than me!  But being short is not a bad thing!  I love that a lot of people are 5'2 and its a normal height and a lot of people around 5'! And mairead is an inspairation! I love how she can be so small but just get everyone to embrace in her work and fill a whole stage and theatre w/ her music! And actually when we were sitting in cleveland watching ioh we were far and me and my friend (4'10) when mairead first came out she looke so tall!) I don't know what it was but she blended in w the girls and just looked so tall and taking over the stage!  It was brilliant! And her second act dress you can kinda tell a little more that she was shorter!

I I I I hear your voice on the wind, and I I I I hear you call out my name, listen my child you say to me I am the voice of your history be not afraid come follow me answer my call and i'll set you frrreeeee!!!!!!!
The Impatient New Yorker
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2012, 03:27PM »

I am 5 ft 9 and 3/4 exactly

I've met Lisa L, Lynn(2x), Susan, Mairead C(2x), Mairead N (2x), Edel, Sarah, Nick, Craig, Anthony, Maggie, and Tommy
hayleynibhaoleafh<3'scelticwoman!
Honorary Roadie

U can have my <3, if U don't mind broken things...

« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2012, 02:58PM »

Aww! Grin

I'm 5 ft. 6in.

Loooooove Hayley xxx
~~~~~~~Maybe it's not about the happy endings... maybe it's about the story...~~~~~~
Friend are angels ~*~ Cherish them
Ncoua
Total Fanatic

Sup!

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2012, 06:05PM »

Aww! Grin

I'm 5 ft. 6in.
5'6" Ftw! Cheesy
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: