Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Bagpipe Point of View  (Read 4426 times)
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« on: November 19, 2008, 06:15AM »

Well as you've probably guessed, being on the road with these guys has just been unreal. Everyone involved is just legend! When I first got word of the American tour, I really didn't know what to expect. And everyday of the tour, something new would just completely blow my mind. From the tour bus to the crew to the talents of everyone in the band. I was put on the crew bus for the tour in America and they instantly took me under their wing.

I mean, here was some Irish piper who had never even stepped foot on a tour bus, who was thrown into the depth of the touring world on a bus full of hardcore crew who had worked with the elite of the business! I think I fitted in just fine! Everyone else involved had been doing this sort of thing for most of their working lives, and it was something that was completely new to me. I loved every minute of it.

The Irish tour went great also. It's great to be getting the reaction we are off our home audiences! And when you hear that the band has sold out another venue, it just adds to the buzz of the whole thing. It's hard to believe there's only another 6 shows left.

Every venue has been unique. Whether its playing to 1500 in the INEC in Killarney, or to a couple of hundred in a hotel in Donegal, the enthusiasm of every audience is the same wherever we go. It's great to hear the crowd really getting involved in the show.

I've been getting great feedback from people regarding my playing both before and after each gig. They all say that it creates an intimate atmosphere for everyone before going into the show. And that they're getting something extra for their ticket. Thats always nice to hear. I try to play tunes that will instantly grab peopes attention. Be it a track from the show that they can relate to like Ar Eireann ni Neosainn Ce hI, or Paddy's Green Shamrock Shore, or a fast paced jig or reel that will just make people stop and listen. It can be quite funny when playing after a show and people come up to me and tell me in my ear how great the show was, or crowd around me for a photo, whilst I'm still trying to concentrate on delivering a nice tune in the process! Its a great feeling though.

What I'd like to do now the tour is over.....?? Get geared up for another tour! Simple as that.

Anthony

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: