Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cyber Security - Questions and Comments  (Read 107823 times)
Sorgi

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2009, 09:13PM »

When I was in Sacramento yesterday, my roommate calls me about a security question.  Antivirus popped up and was saying he had infected files, I went "huh?" when he told me that it wasn't his normal program, Norton.  Sure enough it was the "Personal Virus Shield" Spy/Malware.   It quietly installs itself (somehow without his Norton noticing), and then falsely reports having found multiple worms and trojans.  When remove is clicked it tells you that you have to pay for that service.  In order to facilitate the deception it tries to slow your computer down.  Good anti-spyware is needed to remove this (there are instructions for a manual removal which is supposedly a high risk operation).   The program that most places recommended was Enigmas SpyHunter (we tried Lavasofts AdAware but It missed it)  Hopefully SpyHunter nails it for my roomie.

So far appears to be a real pain to try and get rid of this thing....still working on it...fairly tenacious.

Only took 3 or 4 tries but we got rid of it.  It was basically trying to stick its foot in the door by leaving part of itself active so it couldn't be deleted by SpyHunter.   A little visit to the task manager let us select the programs process and end it.   After that it was just a matter of using SpyHunter to finish off the remains
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 10:41PM by Sorgi » Logged

-Dan

Edgeman

Something something something darkside...

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2009, 12:53AM »

Firefox + NoScript + Adblocker + avg free, are pretty good ways to protect your computer. Firefox is pretty much the best browser out there imo.

howard

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2009, 05:34PM »

I heard on the news Monday that Tweeter was down last week, as well as a couple of times before because someone was hacking in it, they have security problems, it is advised if you don't have good security protection for your computer don't go into Tweeter as well as Facebook, your private information can be in jeapordy.

Good Luck...
Howard

OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2009, 06:04PM »

What happened to Twitter and Facebook was not "hacking" - it was a denial-of-service attack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack).  Huge difference.  In fact, the web sites weren't even the target of the attack. It was launched to stop the posts of an anti-Russian man from the Republic of Georgia. The web sites were just collateral damage, and there was no risk of any person's private information being compromised.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
howard

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2009, 04:53PM »

What happened to Twitter and Facebook was not "hacking" - it was a denial-of-service attack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack).  Huge difference.  In fact, the web sites weren't even the target of the attack. It was launched to stop the posts of an anti-Russian man from the Republic of Georgia. The web sites were just collateral damage, and there was no risk of any person's private information being compromised.

Hi Rich,
For someone who doesn't know a thing about computers, I took it as "gospel" what came over the radio...
Thank You for clearing up about Twitter & Facebook.

Best Regards,
Howard
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2009, 11:22AM »

Facebook Users Beware.....

Site Hacking Facebook Accounts for $100 a Pop

Security company Panda Labs has discovered an online service that promises to hack into Facebook accounts for $100. They claim they will provide "clients" with login and password information to access any account on the social network.

More here

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Lisa and Helen fanatic
Bodhrán Player

Lisa K ALWAYS brightens my day no matter what.

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2009, 03:24PM »

Facebook Users Beware.....

Site Hacking Facebook Accounts for $100 a Pop

Security company Panda Labs has discovered an online service that promises to hack into Facebook accounts for $100. They claim they will provide "clients" with login and password information to access any account on the social network.

More here

that's concerning.  Undecided

I love my Kelly sisters! Cheesy
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2009, 07:42AM »

How Cyber Safe Are You?  Take this self-assessment quiz and find out!

Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2009, 09:22PM »

Thanks for these articles, Rich.  Do you have anything on Firewall options?  Types available, etc?

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2009, 09:36PM »

Thanks for these articles, Rich.  Do you have anything on Firewall options?  Types available, etc?
http://celticwomanforum.com/index.php?topic=5905.msg351697#msg351697

Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2009, 09:59PM »

You da man!  Thank you  Wink

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
howard

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2010, 04:22PM »

Hello Rich, and Everyone else,

Recently there is a new virus on Microsoft, I believe it originated in China for about the past month.
Half listening to the radio this morning, they mentioned that Mircrosoft is able to come up a protection for it.
If you have automatic updates from Microsoft, (which I have), you get it automatically, if not you can download the patch.
They also mentioned that you should update to Windows 8, (there is an 8?), for the best protection.
I have Windows XP.
Rich what is your take on this.

Thank You,
Best Regards,
Howard
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2010, 04:54PM »

The most recent virus I know of from China is the Worm_Piloyd.B, which infects documents like exe, html and asp and prevents the system from restoring the affected document.  The virus could also force the system to download other viruses from designated websites.  Just make sure you update your anti-virus software and use the real-time computer virus monitoring function when you surf the Internet.

No, there is no Windows 8 yet.  Microsoft normally releases a new OS every 3 years, so Windows 8 should be launched in 20011/12, approximately 3 years after Windows 7.

howard

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2010, 03:48PM »

Rich,
Thank You for the response.  But my mistake it has nothing to do with windows, the attack was on the internet explorer, (I use it to get into the internet).  There is a bug, recently microsoft developed a new securtiy patch for it.
I understand it is recommended to update to internet explorer 8.
I get updated from microsoft, is it necessary to do an update?
What is your take on that?

Thank You again,
Best Regards,
Howard
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2010, 04:00PM »

I get updated from microsoft, is it necessary to do an update?
I keep my settings so that Microsoft notifies me when updates are available, but I have the option whether to download and install them or not.  That way, I know when there is an update for any MS product -  Windows OS, IE, Outlook, Office, etc.  I decline some of them, because they update stuff I don't use.  But if they call it a security update, by all means install it.

Incidentally - I highly recommend that all Windows users download and install Windows Defender.  It's free, and it's excellent.

"Windows Defender is software that helps protect your computer against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware and other unwanted software by detecting and removing known spyware from your computer. Windows Defender features Real-Time Protection, a monitoring system that recommends actions against spyware when it's detected, minimizes interruptions, and helps you stay productive."

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: