Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mel's First HK review  (Read 4494 times)
Mel
Honorary Roadie

« on: September 20, 2008, 06:27AM »

No not yet, I am working on it. I am at Panera, but I forgot my program for the songs. So will work on it more later.

Just reserving my spot  Grin

Mel
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 06:02PM »

Well here it is, hope it meets your expectations.  Wink

The High Kings
Southern Theatre
Columbus Ohio
Sept 18th, 2008

A Night with The LADS.

Prelude:

When I first heard that CW LTD was coming out with a new group, called The High Kings, I wasn't sure how well I would like them. Everyone knows how much I adore Celtic Woman, but with David Downes behind the production, as well as Scott Porter Cheesy, I looked forward to hearing more about them.  After hearing the first song clips from their new web site, www.thehighkings.com, I was not disappointed, and once the DVD and CD came out, I was hooked. They are simply Amazing!!! I love them!

The Tour schedule came out, and at first they were to come to Columbus in April, but since they decided to do an Irish Tour first, and instead be the opening act for CW during their Spring 08 Tour, they rescheduled for Sept 18th. Having had the chance to see them 6 times during the Spring Tour with CW, I could not wait till Sept!!! But then some of their Fall shows were being canceled due to other commitments and as Sept came closer, I was getting worried, but then in early August, my tickets arrived, and I saw I had Front Row Seats! That is the first time I have ordered thru PBS myself, with no help from other Forum members, and actually got front row seats!!

After a very odd week that started with remnants of Hurricane Ike hitting Ohio, in a very big way, with a huge wind storm that lasted 4 to 6hrs, and knocking out power to almost 2 million people across the state, me included.  So on Monday, I drove downtown to make sure the Southern was ok, and yes Downtown had power. I didn't mind if I didn't get mine back for 3 days, long as I had Thurs night to look forward too. 

I had a hard time concentrating Thurs at work, as I just couldn't wait to see Darren, Brian, Finbarr and Martin again, with the band this time for a full show.  At 3:30 I headed home, cleaned up, fed the cat, then headed back downtown around 5pm. Parked next to the Southern, then walked a couple blocks to BW3's for an early dinner, since I hadn't had much to eat all day. It was such a nice late afternoon, warm but not hot. Just perfect! Least the Lads will see Columbus on a nice day compared to the last time The Girls were here (snow, ice, cold, in April). Around 6:45, I went inside to stand in the lobby.  As I waited, I was looking for Zo to show up, since I knew she was also coming, and finally seen her come in with her friend. I apologize, Zo introduced me, but I am bad about remembering names the first time I meet people.  We chatted a bit about the guys, and of course OUR GIRLS. The doors finally opened at 7:30 (had a delay due to sound check).

The Southern is another of Columbus's old theatres, but compared to The Ohio Theatre and The Palace, The Southern is a very small one. There isn't much to the lobby, in fact the concession area is outside the main doors, where we were standing. It holds just under 1000, and once inside, I found it to be narrow, but it made up that difference in height. It has 2 balconies, the last being WAYYY up there. Now why people were sitting up there, when there was plenty of seats to fill below, don't know. 

As I entered, I saw the staging, and had a huge flashback to my first time seeing the stage for CW for the first time. Goosebumps! The HK were really here!! The staging is very simple, with 5 diff tiers. The highest being on the left for the drums, then over on the right, another tier, then one in the middle with two small tiers coming off that one at each angle. Similar to CW staging, but not as big, and they don't need a runway for lift off like CW does for Mairead hehehe.

As I walked down, I get to the lady just at the start of the pit seats, and show her my ticket, for a brief second, I thought am I in that pit row? Though MY ticket said PIT, I was thinking, maybe it was a mistake, but nope!! She says, your in the very front. YESSS!!! I am in the leftside section, where there are only 4 seats. I was in seat 3 (odd numbered) so seat 1 was empty, since I had that ticket too (it was suppose to be Sara's, but her manager wouldn't let her take a vacation..mean manager!!!).  As I looked around, I found Zo and her friend, they were maybe 15 rows back, and more on the right side, we waved at each other.

Then right on cue, I knew it would be David's voice, and yes! Goosebumps again as I hear the familar intro over the speakers. Then finally the theatre goes dark, and, sorry Lads, but for a brief moment, I was thinking...Mairead??? lol.

First off I will tell you, if you get a program, they DO play the songs in order, but the intermission isn't where you think it suppose to be, it comes right after Paddy's Green Shamrock Shore.  And yes there are some new songs too. But I will say I was just a little disappointed...they didn't have my HK Wiggle song...Phil the Fluther's Ball<sniff>.  Also, I am not sure they played The Fields of Athenry, as listed in the program. I sure don't remember it.

What a great joy to see the Lads again! First off was of course The Rocky Road to Dublin, and as I gazed along at each of the guys, with Martin, in his cap of course, and Darren, both on my side, then Brian and Finbarr, well he looks very dapper and I would say married life is suiting him very well!  From the that first song, it sealed it that Darren is my favorite. Don't know why, but he would often make eye contact and grin at me, even pointing at me a couple times during the show. The couple behind me, during intermission even commented on it.

The Tour show,  is very similar to the DVD,  in song order, with some differnces. So the next song would be The Black Velvet Band.

I still can't win that dang metal with Jimmy Murphy, but it was great fun see the guys having fun with it.

Somewhere here in the first act, Brian mentions that this show had their Highest audience, mentioning the few that were it the uppermost balcony LOL. He joked that he hoped they didn't have to climb up there, and they had a lift.

Marie's Wedding is another song that Darren would look at me, and it was this song he first sort of pointed down at me, cause I was just singing along, as the Lads told us to do in the beginning of the show. I really loved how the audience really participate, with clapping and foot stomping.

The first solo, was Brian with A Storm in My Heart. OMG......He has the most heart melting voice! And hearing it live, well I think he may have gathered a few more lady fans that is for sure Cheesy.

The Auld Triangle, is a song that grows on you. Since I first hear it, I have come to really enjoy the harmonies on this one.  Watching Finbarr really get into it, by closing his eyes, was just so cool to see.

HEHEEHE...here it comes...The Wild Rover, and yes I started to do the Beer Mug Swish, but without others around me, kind of felt...well lonely. But the Lads wanted us to clap along anyways, which I had no problem. Once more I had Darren grin at me, since I knew when to Clap at the No, Nay, Never... part.

Finbarr's solo was My Home in Sweet Glenlea, was very much done traditional. If you closed your eyes, you would think you were in Ireland, sitting on a session in a pub. The lighting was low, so only Finbarr stood out.

Now this part, not sure if it's suppose to be part of Finbarr's solo or what, he left the stage, and out comes Shane McAvinchey, the Irish dancer, and WOW, he is very good! And you can tell he really is enjoying himself. That grin was just pure genuine and heartfelt.  In the program there isn't any info on this part, so again, not sure if it was continuation of My Home in Sweet Glenlea or what. I do know it's not part of the next song.

Ar Eirinn ni Neosainn Ce Hi. This is such a haunting song, both the Gaelic part and the English, even more so when watching the guys sing it live.

The last song of the first half is Paddy's Green Shamrock Shore, and Finbarr reads just as he does in the DVD. Another song that tugs at my heart, as I think about my trip to Ireland and thinking about what the Irish immigrants, such as my great, great, great grandmother, had to go thru.

Intermission, and since the 2 seats on my right were still empty, I stood in front of them and looked up at Zo and pointed at them, waving her down. Two other ladies started coming down, asked about the seats, and I told them I was saving them for friends, and they said ok, and took the 2 seats right behind. We started talking about the HK, then I mentioned CW and they also love the Girls. The asked me if I had seen CW in Columbus the last time and mentioned it was my first show, but then told how many I had seen last, and when I mentioned the taping in Ireland, they just about fell over.  They were so thrilled. Soon Zo and friend came down, and Zo was afraid they would make her move but I told her, usually they don't care after the intermission.  Zo also mention about Darren and him looking down at me. Gees was it that obvious?? (blushes).  Then it was time for Act 2.

First up was From Galway to Graceland, and as usual, there are a few chuckle during certain parts of the song, and Darren again smiles at the audience.  He always seems to do that when people react to the song.

Ahhh..another fast paced song, The Holy Ground, and as in the DVD, Finbarr first talks about the Clancy's and mentions how when they first came to America, they actually lived in Columbus for a few months before moving to NYC. I thought that was cool. Then out come the White Jumpers, and off we go into another rousing, hand clapping song. Once more I am spied singing along, and pumping my fist as was Zo. We have watched the DVD a few times I think hehehe.

Will Ye Go Lassie Go was next of course as part of the Clancy Brother tribute, and I just adore this song. This is the Swaying Song.  And I got a chill hearing the audience sing along to the last chorus.

Next Martin gives his rousing speech about supporting your team, no matter what sport. Then right into Fields of Glory we go, and having researched each of the Guys favorite team, I had to especially think about Darren's Kilkenny Cats. I think the guys need to come out in their fav team jerseys!!

Martin's solo of Star of the County Down was wonderful, again, done in a very traditional Irish way, and obvious some audience members knew the song as I heard some kind of shouting. I tell ya, Martin and that cap!! Cheesy

The Little Beggarman was again, fun to watch the guys just moving all over the place, and then The Beggarman Jig and watching Nollaig was something I had hoped to see. I had hoped she would be on tour with the Lads, and even though, They mentioned her as being the Best Fiddler, I had to look at Zo and say...Uhhh....noo....WE know who has that Title, least in our hearts LOL.

Andrew Reilly, the percussionist, was up for the Bodhran solo, though it's not listed in the program. It was so fun watching Andrew, as he would just look at the audience, not really smiling, but almost an impish grin. I don't know if he was wanting some reaction or what, but once he was done, he got it with a thunderous applause.

Then out comes Shane to join in for the Dance at The Crossroads. This time Shane and Andrew both lookes like they were having fun, but I was so intent on watching Shane feet, I kept thinking if I tried some of that, I would be on the floor, with my legs all twisted and in pain! lol.

Finally Darren has his solo, The Leaving of Liverpool, and just as with Brian, I really think both these guys have a wonderful, contemporary sound, where as Martin and Finbarr are more traditional voices. 

This is where, according to the program, The Fields of Athenry was at, but I swear, either I zoned out, or it wasn't performed.   Huh

Next up is a very familiar old Irish tune, Whiskey in The Jar. Once more, the Lads are just having fun with this one, and once more you feel your sitting on a Pub session, except no drink in hand.

But alas, it had to come, and we come to The Parting Glass. Now I had hoped they would have the bagpipes, and unfortunately the surprise was spoiled, first by Anthony Byrne, the bagpiper going outside before the show and playing in front of the theatre, and second, he is listed in the program, but it still was an wonderful Finale song, once more a goosebumpy one.

Then the guys head off, but I knew they would come out for an encore, and I really was proud again of the audience as they cried for ENCORE! MORE! So out came Brian, Martin, Darren and Finbarr to give us another foot stomping to The Irish Rover. By the time they were bowing and leaving, my arms were so tired from all the clapping!

What a Show!! I just love all the interaction with the audience, some of the background stories on songs etc. Very casual, fun evening, and the audience were really into it. As I was leaving, I heard nothing but praises.  I heard that the Lads do give a quick signing, and there was a small line already started by the time I got up to it, but quickly the guys came out, and I had a chance to shake hands with all 4, give a quick hello, and that was it. You don't get alot of time, lucky to have 30 secs, but I still enjoyed it.

If you can get to one of their shows, GO!!! You will have a blast! I really hope they come back again.

Well that's it.

Hope you enjoyed it,

Mel

Thomas
Total Fanatic

I am The Voice - I will remain (Thank You CC)

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 06:33PM »

Mel,

That's why your the Queen of reviews,

Great job, I just relived my show reading about yours.

Thanks,

Tom

Banner by Scott

IDIC - Live long and prosper
Darlawife2Thomas

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 06:46PM »

Hey Mel; detailed and precise review as always - great job  Wink

They didn't play The Fields of Athenry @ Pittsburgh either, so I don't think you missed it. 

Unfortunately, Phil the Fluther's Ball wasn't played in Pittsburgh either - I worked so hard to learn the words (and with braces, that's not easy)!!  This is the song that Kayla and Jenna love to dance to while we are watching the DVD.

Looking forward to June '09...
Mel
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 06:51PM »

I will have to say it was nice to be at a show and not be elbowed or kicked  Grin

I wasn't sure I would be able to do a review, but once I got started, it ended up being 7 pages on Word lol

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: