Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Darren's Blog  (Read 103557 times)
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2009, 11:14PM »

Friday, June 19, 2009

Town Hall Galway.

Hey everyone.

I 'll make this short.

The craziest crowd we have had all year!

Amazing.

D
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2009, 11:14PM »

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Murphy's Law

So,

Every Tom, Dick and Harry has seen my Optilase Laser Eye Clinic ad on TV except me!

Last night I learned that it is running on MTV, Channel 4, E4 and all SKY TV channels!

Some funny stuff has been happening too.

I was at Dundrum Town Centre (mall) in Dublin on Friday, when two elderly ladies walked up to me and said "Aren't you the guy from the Specsavers Ad?!!!!

Can't win 'em all.

Hope you are all well.

D

jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2009, 11:07PM »

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Speechless

Hi everyone,

Word's usually don't fail me.

I am not ashamed to say I am utterly gutted at the news of the passing of both Farrah Fawcett and now Michael Jackson.

Farrah was my first girlfriend (not really), and I actually hoped against hope that she might pull through and be cured. Sadly not to be. At least Heaven has a new angel.

Michael Jackson.

I actually can't find the words.

The world is a very different place now.

May God bless and rest them both.

They deserve it.

Darren.
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2009, 11:07PM »

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Wow. Tyrone.

Whatever I said about loud audiences up to now, forget it.

Omagh almost deafened us, and that was before we played a note!

Then it was just pure mayhem till the last song and beyond.

They screamed, sang, stood, stomped, clapped, roared and just made us feel so welcome.

We are due to start rehearsals for the new album next week, so excited about that.

I will keep you up to date as we motor along.

All the best,

D
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2009, 08:48AM »

New Old song uploaded and reality show disappointment

Hi everyone.

Well, the new HK album is heading into its second week and hopefully it will be as productive as last week.

There are more than a few surprises going to be on there. Believe me, there are.

More info as we proceed.

I have uploaded  a new old track from the Rhythm of the dance musical, where I was lead vocalist, from 1999 which toured Europe,UK and Scandanavia for 11 months.

Its called "The Crooked Road" and is a very old fashioned Irish song, written for me by a Carlow man, Jackie Murphy. Hope you like it.

Finally, I am disapointed to say, that Ireland's national TV station RTE, invited me to be part of their new reality show "Celebrity Boxing" , airing in August.  I was initially delighted, as this is certain to bring in close to a million viewers per show, and I was guaranteed 4 shows at least.

However, The High Kings have a show in West Cork on August 20th, which clashed with the production, so I am afraid I won't be taking part.  Maybe next time.

Lots of other cool stuff happening, but until they are done deals, I will leave it at that.

Hope you are all well.

Take care,

D

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=134975287&blogId=499756022

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2009, 09:12PM »

Checking in with the latest.

Hey there,

Just checking in with the latest goss.

Friday night last we played to our biggest concert audience yet when over 8,000 people filled The park in New Ross, Co Wexford and sang along for 2 hours in the beautiful summer evening.
Many old friends turned out from Kilkenny which made it extra special for me.

This Thursday we travel to Switzerland where we perform with Sharon Shannon, The Wolfe Tones and the Dubliners in Basel.  Its been about 10 years since i last performed there so I am looking forward to the return trip! Should be a blast.

The new album is slowly taking shape with 3 songs now almost in the can, and a very different sound/vibe from the first album.

MTV and Comedy Central are rotating the Optilase ad daily which is kinda nuts!

I have learned of a new DH fansite thats been set up in China by a fan. Wow!

Those of you Stateside who watch "Dr 90210 and Oprah" will be hearing quite a lot of my material in upcoming shows and re-runs this year, which again is very nice to know.

There is other amazing stuff happening at the moment, including one exceptional episode which I may talk about soon or sometime down the line.

I may upload some new track soon also, so watch this space.

Have a good one.

Peace,

Darren.

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=134975287&blogId=501099783

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2009, 03:32PM »

Newsflash

Hey all,

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we are now not performing in Switzerland this weekend.

However, we will be appearing on The Mirriam O Callaghan  Show on RTE1 television this Saturday night at 9.30pm.

Cheers,

Darren.

jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2009, 08:59PM »

Monday, August 03, 2009

What a weekend!

Hi everyone,

First of all, I need to say a massive THANKS to all the fans who voted for us in the IMA's.
We are delighted that we scooped both awards and recieved such a thunderous applause. It really was fantastic.
To accept the awards on behalf of HK was again another personal highlight in a year of many.
Sharing the stage with Sharon Shannon, Moving Hearts, Frankie Gavin etc was amazing and inspiring equally.

Killarney last night was as usual a huge show, with a rip roaring crowd and atmosphere!!

I had so many people there from my home village, Mooncoin, that I lost track!!

To out wonderful fans/friends who travelled from overseas to be with us, I would just like to say, you are all amazing folks who make it worthwhile for us to do what we do.
Thanks to infinity!! For everything.

Well, back to the studio tomorrow, where we will carry on working on the new album.
I will keep you updated as often as possible.

'Till next time,

Take care, God bless,

Darren.
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2009, 08:59PM »

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Amazing You Tube News.

Fantasic news this morning!!

You Tube statistics are in and as of today I am.........

...... the 30th most subscribed musician this week GLOBAL!

#9 - Most Subscribed (This Week) - Ireland
#1 - Most Subscribed (This Week) - Musicians - Ireland
#30 - Most Subscribed (This Week) - Musicians - Global
#76 - Most Subscribed (This Month) - Ireland
#3 - Most Subscribed (This Month) - Musicians - Ireland
#29 - Most Viewed (This Week) - Musicians - Ireland

I am delighted and would like to send huge THANKS to  everyone who checked out the video's.

Have a great day!

Darren

jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2009, 09:00PM »

Friday, August 21, 2009

SUPER NEWS.

Hey everyone,

Just back from an astoundingly great gig in Timoleage, West Cork last night.

What a crowd. 700 strong, in a marquee, and going crazy for the whole show.

One of the best shows we have done to date for sure.

Back to the studio on Monday to continue work on the new album.

I am finally able to tell you all about something very exciting to me.

My good friend Marc Roberts and I wrote a little gem in Febuary called "THE PROMISE"
and it is finally about to go on release. Marc is one of the good guys and deserves all the success that comes his way.

I am including the press release tht has gone to radio stations around the country.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

Darren.

MARC ROBERTS

RELEASES HIS EAGERLY AWAITED NEW SINGLE

“THE PROMISE”

The ever popular Marc Roberts is back with his eagerly awaited new single “The Promise”, which he co-wrote with Darren Holden (High Kings).   It tells the story of Irish people being lured to “the promised land”.  They go with the promise of a better life & with the promise that one day they will return.  Sadly, all too often that promise is broken.  As in the past, not everyone managed to get work & would spend most of their time reminiscing about home.  This poignant song is at present topical because of the great efforts being made in America to give the “forgotten Irish” an identity.  This anthemic production accompanied by Marc’s astounding ability to relate a heartfelt story, is sure to capture the hearts of many!   “The Promise” is a song that displays the depth of Marc Roberts as a songwriter and there is no doubt it will become a firm favourite with his ever growing fan base.

“The Promise” will be available for download on iTunes from  Friday, 18th September 2009.

Marc Roberts’ fourth studio album is due for release later in the Autumn.  It’s a collection of 13 songs including some self-penned, co-writes with Ben Mills (X-Factor finalist), Darren Holden (High Kings) & Charlie McGettigan & some covers.

Marc came to world attention when he represented Ireland in the 1997 Eurovision song contest, where he came a credible 2nd with “Mysterious woman”. He released his debut self titled album that year.  Two more albums followed“Meet me half way” & “Once in your life”. His fourth studio album titled “The promise” is due for release later in the autumn.

Marc has firmly established himself as a songwriter & has found himself both lyrically & melodically.

The latest single from Marc Roberts, “The Promise” will be available for download on iTunes from  Friday, 18th September 2009.
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2009, 09:01PM »

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Arthur's Day

Hey all,

Very exciting news.........

The High Kings have been confirmed to join some of the world's biggest music act's to celebrate the 250th birthday of "Guinness"  and indeed celebrate the great vision of one Arthur Guinness!!

This will be a global celebration on September 24th and more details can be found at www2.guinness.com
(I hope)

We are thrilled to be involved in such a massive worldwide party to celebrate all that is great about Ireland!

Slainte,

DH.
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2009, 11:04PM »

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Great to be home.

Hi all,

I was invited by the Kilkenny Hurling County Board to make an appearance and perform a few songs at the annual fundraiser last night in Langtons Hotel, in the city.
What an amazing night. Huge crowd who were really into it, and some of Kilkenny's finest hurlers of the past, including our current manager Brian Cody.

The event was broadcast on KCLR FM which covers 5 counties, and reaction has been fantastic, Michelle and I were interviewed which was fun, and I believe former chairman of the board Ned Quinn spoke on air about my hurling days! Ahh the memories.

Great event and a cool excuse to go back home.

Chat soon,

D
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2009, 11:41PM »

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Latest HK News and "Up the Cats"!

Hi everyone,

Recording on the new High Kings album wrapped today, and I think its gonna be well received indeed.

Its been a long road to get it where its at, and our gratitude goes to our super producer Mark Murphy and musical maestro Ewan Cowley who were with us all the way!

We had great fun in the studio every day and take away great memories of the sessions.

The final song selection has yet to be decided so I can't give any info on that, but hope to soon.

Finally, has it really been a year since my beloved Kilkenny senior hurling team won the 3 in a row?!
It sure has and what a way to mark that occasion that by winning an unprecedented "4 in a row" on Sunday last!!  What a team, what a game, what an atmosphere. Incredible.

My hat is perpetually tipped to the great men who make up the squad and management! and I thank them for the pride they instill in Kilkenny people all over the world.

Chat soon,

Darren.

jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2009, 11:42PM »

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Arthur's Day details.

Hi Everyone

The High Kings will be performing gigs at two venues in Dublin as part of the Guinness 250 Arthur's Day celebrations on 24th September.

We will be performing at O'Donaghues in Merrion Row off of Baggot St with Sharon Shannon and also at the famous Brazen Head on Lower Bridge St. I am not aware of the times of the gigs, but the following links to their respective websites and phone numbers may help you if you are in Dublin and would like to attend.

O'Donaghues Website

+ 353 1660 7194

The Brazen Head Website

+353 1677 9549

The High Kings have now been added to the list of artists performing at the pub venues. You can see the list of artists and venues, with maps and venue details, on the following link.

Guinness Website - Arthurs Day gig details

Slainte!
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2009, 11:42PM »

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Patrick Swayze.

Hey everyone.

Just logging on quickly as I am up to 90 this week.

Couldn't let the passing of Patrick Swayze go without paying a little tribute to him.

Again, like Farrah Fawcett, Michael Jackson, and John Hughes, the world of entertainment that some of us grew up with, has lost yet another huge star.

I remember Swayze in "The Outsiders", the movie that  launched the "Brat Pack", which included Tom Cruise and Rob Lowe among others.

Like everyone else though, I was blown away by his  phenomenal performance in "Dirty Dancing", and  watched that movie a million times with my buddies, convincing ourselves that thats how you got the girl!
He has left us such great memories, including "Roadhouse" and "Point Break".

He fought his illness with strength and courage and massive positivity, and held on as long as he could. My prayers and wishes go to his wife Lisa and family.

My "Swayze" claim to fame came in September 2004, when we opened "Movin' Out" at The Pantages theater in Los Angeles.

Patrick had just finished starring in "Chicago" there the previous night, and I got his dressing room!   I called everyone I knew to tell them!
 I know, its sad, but I just thought about it today, after hearing of his very sad passing
I hope he has hooked up already with Jacko, and they are planning the best dance show ever seen in Heaven!

My he rest in peace.

D.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: