Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who will accompany them on the U.S. tour?  (Read 7388 times)
Moscapoet
« on: July 08, 2008, 01:45PM »

Greetings! Apologies if this has been brought up elsewhere, but what other artists will be joining them on their U.S. tour? Will there be a choir? What musicians will join them? Anyone we know? Will any of the cast from CW be joining them or leading in for them as THK did for CW? Just curious. I've always tried to support the entire ensemble in addition to the front row talent. I did send this question to John Flanagan but his response did not include an answer.
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 03:19PM »

Afraid I have no idea...it will be a wonderful surprise, in any case, I'm sure!!

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 08:29PM »

There will be a percussionist, double bass player, guitarist, accordion, and fiddle player along with some pipers, and of course the boys themselves.  There is no "opening" act.

I am not sure if any of the musicians will be known to CW fans but I'm sure we'll like them anyway.  We'll give you specific names when the tour gets closer.

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
Moscapoet
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 08:49PM »

Cool! Sounds like quite a band! That should make for a lively concert. Of course the guys proved they can do that on their own.  Grin I'll be watching for those first reviews.
Maggie
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 10:58PM »

Greetings! Apologies if this has been brought up elsewhere, but what other artists will be joining them on their U.S. tour? Will there be a choir? What musicians will join them? Anyone we know?

Other than a fiddler (Nollaig was the one on the DVD) and Mick Donegan the dancer, and maybe another guitar, I honestly don't think they need anyone.
They might have a piano / keyboard player. Maybe extra percussion, a base.
I hope they don't have a choir or any other accompaniment.
They are a down-home, traditional group, like their fathers.
Their appeal is personable warmth.....they would be equally at home playing Carnegie Hall, a small village pub, or in a ladies' hair salon (as they did in a mad impulsive moment -  the best kind!)

The reason they opened for CW was to get their name and faces out there, introduce them to a ready-made audience that was already attuned to Celtic / Irish music.
This is a for-profit business, and I don't think any of the CW crew will appear with them, except maybe a TV special made when they are all in Ireland.
We have to be realisitic.....the number of venues had to be trimmed because it would not be profitable playing to half-full houses. Times are hard for everybody, and people have to find ways to cut costs.

PS: Sorry, I hadn't read Rich's post before posting this.....
I started it, then had to go out to do a Notary job, and posted it when I got back.

Bottom line is the guys don't need much back-up, they are multi-talented.
Darren plays piano and did so throughout his 3-plus years as Billy Joel in "Movin' Out" on Broadway, on tour in the USA and Japan.
He won a silver medal for step-dancing as a teenager. He sang and danced in "Rhythm of the dance" and "Riverdance". He also learned uillean pipes from his granddad.
Finbarr Clancy, Brian Dunphy, and Martin Furey also play multiple instruments.

Here's Darren and Billy Joel pointing to each other in "Movin' Out" on Broadway in 2006:

"You Da Man! No, You Da Man!"

« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 09:16AM by Maggie » Logged
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 09:30AM »

They can do the shows without anyone else but themselves and their instruments. Of course They can always bering Lisa along and Mairead.

And Orla

And Chloe

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
willow-jeeves
Honorary Roadie

Reaction on CWF when Isle of Hope CD comes out

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 01:18PM »

They can do the shows without anyone else but themselves and their instruments. Of course They can always bering Lisa along and Mairead.

And Orla

And Chloe

Jim

...and Lynn with her guitar!   Smiley  Smiley

Thanks, Wickie!

"I never made promises lightly,
And there have some that I have broken,
But I swear in the days still left,
We will walk in Fields of Gold." ~ Sting
Moscapoet
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 01:51PM »

Thanks Maggie! I agree about them needing very little except their own voices. They are indeed personable and warm. I spent a few hours with one of them and he is a fine, courteous, and humble gentleman. Such interactions with fans can be very endearing and create tremendous loyalty. Such moments are also exceedingly rare and much treasured by those who experience them. I look forward to seeing them on tour and certainly understand the economics of putting on such a show. The economic times are getting increasingly tough primarily due to fuel costs. I wish them and the rest of the ones we've come to know and love all the best in their future endeavors. Thanks Rich and Maggie for your helpful input. 
Wickster
Honorary Roadie

Class of 2011!

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 09:23AM »

Maggie that is an awesome Picture!!!

We Saw Movin' Out. It was Fantaaastic.

That'd be insane...[even though it's not possible or existant] if they went on tour With Billy Joel. Im a dreamer..what can i say?

Wickie xx

"Even when they have nothing, the Irish emit a kind of happiness, a joy."
-Fiona Shaw
Moscapoet
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 01:40PM »

Beautiful banners Wickie!
nbrock

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 11:16AM »

Timi posted this elsewhere, but I wanted to be sure and get the word out, so here tis again:

"Percussionists for all current tours is Andrew Reilly (from Dublin and spent many years touring with Riverdance)
On Violin - Nolliag Casey (from Cork)
On Bass - Deirdre Frost (from Cork)
On Button Accordian - Frank Mulcahy (from Co. Kerry)

Thanks to a little birdy named Ewan "

Does anyone know these fine musicians?  They gotta be good from what the crowds in Ireland say!
Norma
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: