Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Galway Article  (Read 5869 times)
Trouble
Bodhrán Player

Play with Fire.

« on: May 29, 2008, 06:37AM »

The High Kings bring their all-conquering show to Galway

Current Publication Date: 29/05/2008

The High Kings bring their all-conquering show to Galway
Kevin McGuire

IN THE 1960s The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem blazed a trail through the New York folk boom and were an inspiration to Pete Seeger and Bob Dylan. Their innovative style paved the way for The Fureys and Davy Arthur, De Dannan, and Clannad
More http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie/content/index.php?aid=12175

Thanks Lindsey
Conchobar
Total Fanatic

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 06:56AM »

What a great article!
Thanks for sharing that.

Truth is just like time, it catches up, and it just keeps going.  DW
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 05:10PM »

Great article!!

And, I would just like to add, that at about this time 5 years ago, I was IN Galway.  Cheesy Cheesy

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
Maggie
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 11:10AM »

You've got me started now.

I had a very emotional trip to Connacht last June, almost a year ago.
I was alone, in a rented car.
I sped across the Country from Dublin airport, and my first call was to my Mother's home village in County Mayo.
There is a small place not far away with a secluded beach. It's a very special place for me. I cried, I prayed, I watched the sun sink into the Atlantic, and although I hadn't planned to, I slept on the beach.
I wasn't alone.....there were spirits and there was music from the past to keep me company.
I awoke refreshed, ran and danced on the beach, and went to find breakfast and a shower. It was a wonderful start to my brief visit.
From there I went on a little tour. I stopped in Westport at Matt Malloy's (of the Chieftains) pub for a Guinness. Then on to Cong (Quiet Man country, where I had been with my family).

Then through Tuam, to Galway. The City was bigger and noisier than I remembered.
It has always been a lively spot, never a shrinking violet of a town!
There are so many music pubs it's impossible to count them.
I made a little diversion to Athenry, where I stopped for tea and a sandwich.
Then I took the backroad to Portumna, where I crossed the Shannon.
I stopped to kiss the sign that said:

"Fáilte go Tiobrad Árann" (welcome to Tipperary)

.....then I followed the banks of Lough Derg, off to Nenagh, then......I was home!

No, wait! I was home all the time.....

nbrock

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 08:35AM »

Lovely story, Maggie.  Thanks for sharing.  Aren't all trips to Ireland emotional?  What a joy to see first hand the places where this music was born!

Your description reminds me of the last part of our trip last year for the ACC taping.  We arrived in Shannon, drove the ring of Kerry down to Cork, on to Charles Fort, and the Cork countryside.  Then to Dublin for the BEST of times with our dear friends.  Left the city for a drive through the mountains & seaside and on to Knockanana (just had to see the origins of Orla's lovely spirit).  Spent a fantastic 2 days in Kilkenny.  Then drove through Galway and on to the Connemara. 
Wow!  My first impression was that we'd arrived on another planet - in another century.  I couldn't imagine what we would find as we drove to our destination in Carna Bay.  It felt like ages since we'd left Dublin.  We sat by the Quiet Man bridge, walked the Beach Road in Clifden, enjoyed a regatta in Roundstone, were amazed and humbled by the beauty of Kylemore Abbey, watched the Sunset over Galway Bay.  All the time surrounded by the sounds of an ancient language and the joy of  happy and friendly people.  Our hearts were changed as we left - we both knew it, but cant put it into words.  All I know is that this place is now a part of me and THK helps bring it all to life!
Thanks again to David, CW & THK for all the joy you bring!
Norma

SusanZ
CWF Global Moderator
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 11:19AM »

I love that story, Maggie !

Isn't it amazing how certain places just etch themselves on our memories and in our hearts?

Zee

"We create our tomorrows by what we dream today"
Thanks Hayley for the great banner!!
Maggie
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 03:40PM »

I love that story, Maggie !
Isn't it amazing how certain places just etch themselves on our memories and in our hearts?

Thank you, sister Zee.
Yes it is amazing. 
The next time I go Dave will be with me, and if I suggested sleeping on the beach he would think I'd lost it.
(Years ago it might have been different.... Wink )

So our next visit will be planned with Military precision and will be very practical.
The distance and gas will be worked out.....Sad

In fact, if I had told anyone I was planning on visiting Mayo and Galway just for a few hours before going on to Tipp, they would have put me away for my own good!

So I told not a soul......I just did it. It was very refreshing, spiritually and emotionally.....and I needed that.
I know you and my other CW sisters will understand exactly what I mean.

Hmmm...to get back on topic, I'm sure THKs will be spiritually refreshed by their visit to Galway too.
I can just imagine the reaction to "Galway to Graceland" there!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 03:47PM by Maggie » Logged
Kelli
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 08:52AM »

Hmmm...to get back on topic, I'm sure THKs will be spiritually refreshed by their visit to Galway too.
I can just imagine the reaction to "Galway to Graceland" there!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Oh, to be at THAT performance!  Just the thought of that makes me smile... Grin

Visit Órla's Garden, a fansite for Órla Fallon!

What's important often does not stand out but is simply standing quietly.   :  Noah benShe
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: