Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PBS lack of promoting THK?  (Read 10609 times)
Mel
Honorary Roadie

« on: May 22, 2008, 04:08AM »

I am wondering if others who have scheduled concerts in their area, are not seeing their local PBS promoting THK much. Ours hasn't since around St. Patrick's Day. I only seen them scheduled to air 3 times, and one was at 2am. Since then, nothing. How are these guys going to get a large audience if even PBS isn't working to promote them?

I am sure cities like NYC, and Pittsburgh are doing more. I know Pittsburgh for sure, since when I was there during St. Patrick's, they were being advertised on reg networks not PBS. A reg commercial for the tour that, at that time, was coming in April.

I know having the Lads open for CW was a great way to get them out to the public, but the PBS's need to step up and start promoting them more, after they are sponsoring alot of these shows, and if they want to sell seats, then they need to do more to SELL THK!!! Huh Angry

<gets off soap box now>

cool2it
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 04:52AM »

I totally agree, Mel.  I just wonder if the numbers of support for the guys were not as high as they hoped. I sure don't see that as being true but I don't look at it from a business standpoint.  I hope they are figuring to really push them ALONG with CW this coming fall on TV once more.(  I originally was thinking they would hype the heck out of them for a BIG tour this fall while CW was in Europe and resting.)   I was not going to attend any of their shows this fall and save up for the girls next spring, but if they are going to need support I may go to the Chicago show.  I remember them saying they would be at the Auditorium in October  ( I think!! )  and I'll be ready to see them by then, for sure!!!!   Maybe they will use them to open for CW next year,too.  I sure hope so!!! 

Thanks for the terrific banner Rich!!  PLEASE, Let's all help in the fight against ALS
Maggie
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 04:55AM »

I am wondering if others who have scheduled concerts in their area, are not seeing their local PBS promoting THK much......
I know having the Lads open for CW was a great way to get them out to the public, but the PBS's need to step up and start promoting them more.............

I've been thinking that for some time too.

Was there any THK promotional material at the CW concerts?
If not, why not?

They are depending too much on the fans to get the word out.
I am trying in my own little way, to spread the word to the Irish Clubs and Organizations.
They should have let the lads say a few words to the audiences....
wouldn't hurt to BEG!.....and they do have the gift of the gab..... Wink

« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 04:57AM by Maggie » Logged
Conchobar
Total Fanatic

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 05:41AM »

I think it's a little early to get worried about this. I have a feeling that as the shows get closer we'll start to see them pushed quite a bit more.

Truth is just like time, it catches up, and it just keeps going.  DW
Maggie
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 06:31AM »

I think it's a little early to get worried about this. I have a feeling that as the shows get closer we'll start to see them pushed quite a bit more.

It's a problem, as you know, Bob....choosing the right time to advertise.....

The purpose of having THK open the CW Concerts was to get their name, faces and talent out there in front of large ready-made audiences, so those people would want to order tickets for THK's Tour, and spread the word among friends and on the internet.

But if they let that enthusiasm go off the boil, they are in danger of leaving it too long if you know what I mean.

The Promoters have to find the right balance. They can't afford to wait until it's almost Tour time.
I can see they might be waiting until the Irish Tour is over, so they can quote positive reviews, and packed houses.

Although.....some of the venues in Ireland are small. The Black Box Theatre in Galway has seating for 393 people. They sell tickets in advance, but seating is not reserved. In other words, they will sell 393 tickets, but it's first come first served when you get there.
Can you imagine the scramble for the front rows? Cheesy

I hope the guys are going by their gut feeling for that Tour. They know the Irish audiences are very discerning and critical when it comes to choice of songs.
Some songs which an American audience would love, the Irish will call cheesy.
They can be sarcastic and merciless.
THKs have to be careful not to be just "Clancy Brothers Part Deux".
Although comparison is inevitable, in a good way.

There was nothing wrong with the Clancys and Fureys of course, they were very successful, long-lasting and well loved on both sides of the Pond.....but today's Irish audience is looking for something fresh and new, with just a touch of nostalgia.
Mel
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 07:09AM »

I just figured the more exposure on PBS the quicker they can see if they CAN fill up the venues.

I know in Chicago, one of the guys after they took their bows, mentioned to the audience they would be there in the fall, whatever the date was, as I forgot. But that is the only show I have been to with them that they even mentioned them being back for a fall tour. I know they had the CD/DVD's for sale at the merchandise lobby, and the guys mentioned this also.

Heck if they would send me posters, I would put them up all over the place!!! Wink

The guys are GREAT! and I just want to see them get the exposure, so they can draw in more people. We don't have good groups like this anymore, well except for CW  Wink

nbrock

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 07:59AM »

Mel, thanks for bringing this up.  I, too, have been concerned.  I contacted 10+ stations back when the spring tour was first announced and only 3 of them even knew anything about the concerts they were promoting!  Some had them mixed up with Celtic Thunder (and still do!).  I wish I had promotional posters too!  I'm passing out DVDs as birthday gifts to all our friends and family (and hearing GREAT feedback).   I think Maggie is totally correct about waiting too long after the interest was stirred at the CW concerts.  We can all keep calling our local stations and asking questions, but what else can we do?  Put on your thinking caps!  Then, stand up and SHOUT!  "HIGH KINGS!   HIGH KINGS!   HIGH KINGS!"
Norma
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 08:04AM »

I don't remember seeing CW or THK advertisements either on PBS or the newspaper. Last year there was a a 4 x 7.75 inch ad in teh paper. I still have it on my cubicle wall.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
willow-jeeves
Honorary Roadie

Reaction on CWF when Isle of Hope CD comes out

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 11:01AM »

I'll keep an eye out for advertisements here in the San Diego papers.   

I don't really watch TV, so I don't know if our San Diego PBS station is promoting the concert on air, but I did go on their site and saw that there are two airings of the High Kings coming up in the next three weeks.  They also had tickets available for the fall date in San Diego (October 15). 

As for the venues, I know that in L.A., they had the CD and DVD on sale, and some signage up.  They also announced the upcoming fall tour, and the date they were to be in the L.A. area. 

I know that the response to the guys at the concert I attended was really positive, with shouts of Encore!, Encore! (and not just from me, either!   Grin )

Sign me up for putting up posters, and I've been telling my friends about them, too.   

~Mary

Thanks, Wickie!

"I never made promises lightly,
And there have some that I have broken,
But I swear in the days still left,
We will walk in Fields of Gold." ~ Sting
Cash
Honorary Roadie

carry me...on the waves

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 12:16PM »

I have always thought about the logic behind their somewhat mysterious marketing for these things. Here is my theory on this.

PBS airs a show, say, 6 months in advance of a tour. People like us, the fans who will spend whatever amount it takes to get good seats, pledge PBS, buy up all the M&Gs, etc. But as we approach the date of show, at some point, the tickets are made available via another source, say ticketmaster or the venues box office. At this point, some people might still buy via PBS pledge, but many will save a few dollars by simply buying elsewhere. There is a point, after the very best seats are sold, when it is simply not worth it to pay a pledge premium for a seat. So what does PBS do? They start to air other shows where the tour is 6 months down the road, to again attract the strongest fans to pledge. If PBS airs shows too close to the actual concert, they are helping ticketmaster more than themselves.

If the act itself wishes to market they could, but why? Does whatever money spent generate more revenue than it costs? Probably not, since again most people who plan to attend already have tickets. I would bet there are very few ticketbuyers who decide at the last minute to go. Sure there would be a few, but not enough to justify costs of big time marketing.

Home is behind, The world ahead, And there are many paths to tread, Through shadow, To the edge of night, Until the stars are all alight.
kathleen
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 01:15PM »

Good Ole Atlanta Sweet lady called us about the May date. But since the change I haven't heard anything.

When I called to see about Sept 26...PBS sounded like they have a lot of tickets left. Not sure what that is about.

I hope Bob is right... I would assume a new PBS push in the early fall/late summer. PBS wants and needs the pledges as well as THK need the exposure. Hope all will turn out well

Beer Mug Swish to all!

Mel
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 09:29AM »

Ok..I have to take back what I said about my local PBS...

Just saw the TV schedule for this week

The High Kings

The High Kings, an Irish ballad group.

Saturday, May 31, 5:30 PM

WOSU

The High Kings

Monday, June 02, 1:00 AM

WOSU

The High Kings

Monday, June 02, 7:30 PM

WOSU

The High Kings

Wednesday, June 04, 1:00 AM

WOSU

Grin Grin Grin

Though I may not be able to see them tonight, since maybe be going to a movie later.

nbrock

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 08:03AM »

Grin  Just got an email "Dont Miss List" from the Houston PBS and FINALLY they are promoting THE HIGH KINGS!  Glad to see it as I really hope we can give them a fantastic welcome with sold out shows!

Guess I'll have to nag all the other PBS stations that I subscribe to & see why they aren't on board yet!

Long Live THE KINGS!
Norma
Celtic Lass
Total Fanatic

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 06:31PM »

MPT is airing THK next Monday (June 9) @ 8 pm for a show in Baltimore. Here is the information:

https://secure.ga3.org/03/high_kings_pledge

M&G availaible. Grin
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 08:19PM »

Interesting. Haven't seen any ads but was flipping thru the channels and PBS is showing Celtic Thunder. So maybe they wiill also show HK and maybe CW too.

They also went to break and 3 of them were live, including Damian. will be in Phoenix in November. The HK one was cancelled so I wonder when they will be here. I thought it was in November also.

I wonder.

Jim

Just checked PBS and High Kings comes in October, Cetlic Thunder in November. Dare I hope Celitc Woman in December
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 08:58PM by zankoku » Logged

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: