Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Music of the High Kings  (Read 21666 times)
Maggie
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 09:18AM »

I don't think the High Kings will be singing any Rebel Songs, but they might sing songs about Heroes

Since the peace appears to be holding, I agree that the Rebel songs might be a tad out of place. They were great songs.

After the program finished on Saturday, we had a photo* taken with the lads, arms round each other's shoulders. We started singing a bit of Rocky Road, then I started "Come out ye black and tans"!
Brian said "OOOHHHH, we don't sing them any more!"

I thought.....they learned them at their Daddy's knees, just as I did!  Grin

I agree they were good songs, and served a purpose of getting everyone's patriotic dander up.
But they are now the stuff of History, though they live on on CD and DVD, and in a lot of hearts.
They will not be forgotten, nor should they be. Likewise the lessons learned from history.
When I was learning History at school in England, the Famine, Penal Laws, Battle of the Boyne, were not mentioned, except for a brief nod "oh and by the way, over a million Irish starved to death because the potato crop failed."

I hope the same thing does not happen in Irish History Books.

There is a Pub in St Cloud (about 12 miles from me) owned by a singer from Ireland, Cahir O'Doherty, who still raises the roof with Rebel Songs, I'll be at his Pub for a candlelight Saint Patrick's Parade on Friday. Great place, worth a visit:-

http://www.odohertypub.com/

* PS. yes, I will ask for a copy of the photograph and post it! Cheesy

« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 10:40PM by Maggie » Logged
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 11:44AM »

I still remember the joke about the Irishman who goes to confession and lists all the trucks blown up, etc. The priest chastises him . Quit talkin Politics and confess your sins. <g>

There is even a reference  (a couple of times) to the IRA in Quiet Man.

Now that I know a wee bit more of the family history, it hits closer to home than before.

Jim

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
Celtic Lass
Total Fanatic

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2008, 10:19AM »

I love Jimmp Murphy! And I know what you mean Jim about the songs meaning more when you know a little bit about them. *short family history then I will get back on topic* While researching my paternal family history I came across a little bit of something. Apparently there was this Lord in England and he had two sons. One of them came to america and settled in northern PA. The other one inherated his fathers land and his son "was removed" to County Kilkenny where he aquired land from the local Lord there. It however is family lore that he actually was deported to Ireland from England. How true we don't know. I like the story though because eventhough I don't have any ancestors that were from Ireland, I at least have some history there!

*back on topic*
Maggie, I was listening to Fields of Glory yesterday and my dad asked me some things. What exactly is the Football mentioned. I know its not american football and its not soccer. The other thing what is the "clarian" (however you spell it Wink) call also mentioned? Could you (or someone who knows) please explain further? Thanks
SkyDancerDove

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 07:06AM »

Irish Folk/Celtic Folk/American Folk, in fact all fold music in general, the music and lyrics and generally are based on a true fact and time in history passed down through the generations in song form ... to me that is what makes the music so unique and wonderful as it preserves a piece of history

THK does their family proud with their renditions of songs originally recorded from another era.

Safe Journeys & God Bless
~Marsha~

timi

Misic gives life more meaning!

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 09:39PM »

Agrees with ya Marsha!!!!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: